Florida wood for carving

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karen936

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to carving and I have only used norfolk pine. My neighbor glues cypress boards together for reliefs that look nice. What other woods would you recommend for a newer chainsaw carver here in southwest florida. I like the look of camphor carved but can't find it local. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year.

Cypress is a very nice wood to carve. We also have sweetgum galore that is also nice to work with. Good luck and should you need some I'm 15+min from Gainesville
Joel

softer wood

Cypress is a very nice wood to carve. We also have sweetgum galore that is also nice to work with. Good luck and should you need some I'm 15+min from Gainesville
Joel

Thanks Joe but I'm at the other end Fort Myers.

No problem I have a friend near you who is due a visit I could send him home with some for you. What size things are you carving?

Very nice looking carvings! I'll post you a pm when my friend is comming up and send him back with a couple blanks for you to work with. May be a month out but hope to get you hooked up with some good stuff! Till then happy carving.

Very nice looking carvings! I'll post you a pm when my friend is comming up and send him back with a couple blanks for you to work with. May be a month out but hope to get you hooked up with some good stuff! Till then happy carving.

Thanks really appreciate that, I've still got a long way to go, but I really do enjoy it the only problem is lots of time I have to wait long time in between wood so I have to start over, we want to move to Tennesse and then I think wood won't be an issue, I'm hoping, thanks again. There's some red oak on craigslist here hows that for carving.

Last edited:
Hey, have you tried carving camphor my neighbor did a piece and the colors of the wood are beautiful.

I have not I am also new in my desire to carve. I climb and have been doing so since 1999 I get requests from clients frequently and have begun to try. I do mushrooms galore (wifes favorite). I would think it should be good to carve. If you have Hackberry down there I would try that also, it will carve nice I'm sure if still green or moderately so.

Look for Pecan

I have come across some pecan and it is nice to carve on. So far no splitting or cracking and I cut off a piece and let set in sun for 2 weeks now and still looks nice. I am near Tampa.

Latest posts

Back