Flowtron Screw driven electric wood splitter. Anybody used one ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on my electric splitter that everyone seemed to want to argue with me about. I changed the motor brushes and cleaned and scraped the commutator. I have found a significant improvement in perfomance and I am easily spliting red oak and maple in the 10" to 24" dia. range. Also I can split pretty fast with having a wedge on each side of the beam.

I have one in my garage that was given to me by my Dad. I would sell it if anybody wants one. I prefer my 22 Ton Huskee.

I haven't used one but am friends with two different people who use them to split locust. Both say they work well. Yes, they are probably slow and yes, the tonnage ratings and speed don't match hydros. The trade off is that they are cheap.

Having read the thread I suspect several of the posters have never seen one or knew anyone using one.

Harry K

looking for flowtron log splitter

I would like to buy the motor for a flowtron log splitter. If you have one you can contact me at [email protected]. I may buy a complete splitter if the price is right

It looks like the principal is similar to the Super Split flywheel log splitter. In the case of the Super Split, the 1 hp motor spools up two 50 lb flywheels. Once the flywheels are up to speed, then the operator engages a gear rack to the flywheels. The gear rack moves forward and splits the wood.

Without arquing anything about how the actual unit performs I would like to say that comparing units based on claimed power of a gas engine vs electric will get you no where. Electric motors far out perform gas in torque. Now I realize a 1/4hp electric will never be anything near a 5hp gas but actually a 5hp electric would way out perform the 5 hp gas. But again any rating is only a claim and may not be the actual power example being the vacs with little tiny motors capable of 5,6 or more hp. Peak HP to be more exact heheheheheh!

Without arquing anything about how the actual unit performs I would like to say that comparing units based on claimed power of a gas engine vs electric will get you no where. Electric motors far out perform gas in torque. Now I realize a 1/4hp electric will never be anything near a 5hp gas but actually a 5hp electric would way out perform the 5 hp gas. But again any rating is only a claim and may not be the actual power example being the vacs with little tiny motors capable of 5,6 or more hp. Peak HP to be more exact heheheheheh!

Or the bogus ton ratings of hydraulic splitters. Given 2,500 bypass and 4" cyl does not come close to 20 ton.

Harry K

I just grabbed a Flowtron DS26 off Craigslist.
The ram is hung up at the far end somehow. If I get this thing working I'll be back with my impressions and maybe a video. Here's one that shows that it's painfully slow. I'm hoping the pain of the wait will be enough less than the pain in the shoulders. The other problem might be that I'll be able to drink way too much beer while waiting for this thing. That could get expensive. LOL.
I'll probably just end up looking for a local senior citizen that might want it.

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9oXTT2BEKJA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9oXTT2BEKJA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Last edited:
My Flowtron lives ! lol
There's a brass block in the ram that has a threaded hole through it and it carries the ram along the drive screw. On mine 1/2 the threads were buggered.
I cleaned up the threads that were left and ran it. It's not as bad as I thought !
I started out just resplitting a few pieces. Next I put on a 10" round of hophornbeam that I couldn't split by hand. It took care of it. I'm splitting 16" lengths so I'll make a spacer block of wood to cut down on cycle time.
Not bad for $25.
I need to see about having a replacement threaded brass block made in case this one fails. It's a 1" diam. threaded hole through a 2" long block. 1/2 my threads are okay. A buddy told me that 1" of threads in a 1" diam. hole has all the strength that 2" of threads does ? He said some engineer explained it to him before.
I'll try to shoot a vid. after I make my time-saving spacer so I won't bore you guys too bad. lol

I just grabbed a Flowtron DS26 off Craigslist.
The ram is hung up at the far end somehow. If I get this thing working I'll be back with my impressions and maybe a video. Here's one that shows that it's painfully slow. I'm hoping the pain of the wait will be enough less than the pain in the shoulders. The other problem might be that I'll be able to drink way too much beer while waiting for this thing. That could get expensive. LOL.
I'll probably just end up looking for a local senior citizen that might want it.

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9oXTT2BEKJA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9oXTT2BEKJA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>
flip that up vertical,with some mods and make a cider press :dizzy:

flip that up vertical,with some mods and make a cider press :dizzy:
I thought of that too. :D
I'm gonna split wood with it for a while. I haven't found anything it couldn't split yet.
I've got a growing pile of stuff that I couldn't do with the maul and wedge. So far this toy is eating it up.

Last edited:
My Flowtron lives ! lol
There's a brass block in the ram that has a threaded hole through it and it carries the ram along the drive screw. On mine 1/2 the threads were buggered.
I cleaned up the threads that were left and ran it. It's not as bad as I thought !
I started out just resplitting a few pieces. Next I put on a 10" round of hophornbeam that I couldn't split by hand. It took care of it. I'm splitting 16" lengths so I'll make a spacer block of wood to cut down on cycle time.
Not bad for $25.
I need to see about having a replacement threaded brass block made in case this one fails. It's a 1" diam. threaded hole through a 2" long block. 1/2 my threads are okay. A buddy told me that 1" of threads in a 1" diam. hole has all the strength that 2" of threads does ? He said some engineer explained it to him before.
I'll try to shoot a vid. after I make my time-saving spacer so I won't bore you guys too bad. lol

Maximum thread strength is when length of engagement is 1 1/2 times the thread diameter. Ex. 1" dia thread has maximum strength with 1 1/2" long nut. It's in the Machinery's Handbook.

my electric Homelite 5 ton splitter has a 8 second ram travel cycle and its not lacking power at all in fact its down right very impressive for the size and cost
basicly if it will fit(21 inch length ) ,it can split it wide open.doesnt matter if its wet oak maple or ash...now your breaker going off is a sure sign you need a heavier cord ,if not it will be pretty weak and slow the cycle speed down.

Flowrtron Electric log slitter

I know I'm a year late for replying, but I just got mine back from a friend who's been using it for the past few years...we both love it, I'm guessing that the motor needed brishes. I have a copy of the manual,if you need it, perhaps I can send one to you.

Squire104

Latest posts

Back