Foley 308 or Not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moss Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got back from the search feature here, wanted to clear that up ahead of time. Read everything I found about the Foley 308 chain sharpener.

A local person has one for sale for $250., complete and running. After reading what others have to say about it here, I am thinking I might be better off with a new Oregon 511 instead and I could then dedicate my Northern tool model to rakers only.

Am I thinking clearly on this?

Without hesitation, if it's in good condition, buy it.

$250 is the price range, I'd try to push them closer to $200. It's one of the best grinders ever built. Thousands survived years in commercial applications without failure.

The only other unit with similar quality would be Silvey.

On the other hand if you like new and shiny, only do a handful of chains a year, the 511 would suit you fine.

Edit to add another quality option, Stihl's USG Grinder.

Last edited:
Foley 308

Hey Moss, I'm certainly no expert but that looks like a very well made unit and also looks like it comes with a nice stock stand. Any new grinder you get would have to take up bench space and there seems to be no way to mount a grinder that doesn't become awkward on one tack or the other. This one on its own pedestal looks a little handier to me. Of course you would have to see it and make sure all the pivots were tight. I'm with Paul, offer him $200.00 and take it from there. (Of course I'm assuming we are talking about the same one???) Topsham??

Bought one a few months back for $150 in as good of shape as it needed to be. I'm about to order a cbn wheel for it (part 3700684 for 3/16) for $125 from Foley Belsaw, I'll let you know how that works out.

:cheers:

Grinder

Good enough, keep us posted as to what you find. I have bought a lot of things over the yrs where you are looking and it's always an adverture. Sometimes it's not worth the drive and other times you can strike a very good deal.
The big secret is to know what it is you're buying, it's strengths and weaknesses. Foley stuff has been around a long time and has been the industry standard in tool sharpening for yrs. So if it doesn't appear worn out and holds the chain securely it's probably a good machine. Check the motor bearings, pivots and all clamps for slop and wear. But as I said I'm no expert. Good luck.

As of right now, he isn't returning my call. My hope was to drive over there tomorrow morning. Will keep you guys updated. I visualize the grinder setting in the area near my woodstove.....I am cozy warm, sipping a cocktail and sharpening chains with no idea how brutal it is outside in the harsh Maine winter.

I finally nailed down a time to look at it, 4pm tomorrow. I had talked myself out of going, but why not look as opposed to wondering what I might have missed. Update tomorrow evening.

Just got back. It looks real good, everything seems tight, it ran smooth as silk in both directions, has a half dozen different wheels with it.

Talked him down to $225.

I will try to post a decent photo later.

It is a bit smaller than it appeared in the photo, but looks quite capable. The grinder is high up, which I believe I will like, no more hunching over the bench model.

Last edited:
Just got back. It looks real good, everything seems tight, it ran smooth as silk in both directions, has a half dozen different wheels with it.

Talked him down to $225.

I will try to post a decent photo later.

It is a bit smaller than it appeared in the photo, but looks quite capable. The grinder is high up, which I believe I will like, no more hunching over the bench model.

Grates. You just bought the last grinder you'll need. Doesn't mean it'll be the last grinder you buy...

:)

Grinderitis

Man, Moss you'll probably get grinderitis from that thing. Sounds like you came out on top with an Uncle Henrys deal. I expect those wheels are not cheap either. The thing is it can go either way. You show up and know instantly that it's a piece of crap and try not to insult the guy and leave or it is a really good thing that you want to get as reasonably as possible. I've spent absolutely inumberable hours on these missions. Gee, I even have a mail subscription!!! Anyway best of luck with it and.....oh ayah I got just a few dull chains......?????
No, never mind.:cheers::cheers:

One feature that jumps out as being different from the Northern Tool model I have is the vise slides in and out instead of tilting. I am assuming by moving on the radius of the wheel the same grind is achieved as the tilt.

IMG_101-19.jpg

IMG_102-16.jpg

It looks good. Sounds like you did well on the price and the stand alone would probably go for over $100.
Let us know how well it works.
I might be able to round up some chains if you want to practice. LOL

One feature that jumps out as being different from the Northern Tool model I have is the vise slides in and out instead of tilting. I am assuming by moving on the radius of the wheel the same grind is achieved as the tilt.

IMG_101-19.jpg

IMG_102-16.jpg
Its only been 10 years since you got this grinder. How did it work for you? I'm looking at getting one just like it. I go to take a look this satyrday.
Not a whole lot of info out there on these grinders. I was hoping to get one that does square. Doesnt sound like the 308 has that ability. The seller has the manuals for the 308 so maybe there is something in there that proves it does or does not.

My dad gave me one just like that other than the lamp is gone. I mostly hand file but I use it for fixing chains that get rocked bad or get out of wack somehow.

Back