foot ascenders, petzle pantin or CMI?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petzle pantin or CMI foot ascender?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

voxac30dude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
quality wise what is better and will preform best. there is a big difference in price between the 2. if the CMI is just as good i might get it becuase it is cheaper.

Last edited:
I have both and the rope will occasionally come out of the Pantin. I have never had it come out of the CMI. The Pantin is lighter but I think the CMI is better built.
:cheers:

I use a Petzl Pantin. It is designed so that the rope can come out easily by rotating your foot. This does cause it to come out at times when you don't want it to. One advantage I see with the Pantin is the size and rounded edges. This can keep it from jamming in a crotch if you happen to be standing in one.

I use a Petzl Pantin. It is designed so that the rope can come out easily by rotating your foot. This does cause it to come out at times when you don't want it to. One advantage I see with the Pantin is the size and rounded edges. This can keep it from jamming in a crotch if you happen to be standing in one.

That is what is attractive about the Pantin to me; Not as bulky and rounded edges. You got to be careful with the CMI, it can mar up the bark on a tree if you're not careful and paying attention. I plan on getting a Pantin at some point. Until then the CMI works fine for me.

Few years ago a climber on another crew who used a CMI heard I was using a Pantin and asked to arrange a swap for a week. After two days he wanted his CMI back and I was happy to oblige...

...for all the reasons pointed out in this thread. I like how I can easily kick out of the Pantin, he didn't, I didn't like wearing that chucky block, he had no problem.

It's a shirt-tail tucked in or out thing, just what you're used to and comfortable with.

RedlineIt

I find it comes in handy to be able to kick out easily when needed though it can be a pain when you don't want it to.

I find it comes in handy to be able to kick out easily when needed though it can be a pain when you don't want it to.

I have my Pantin adjusted so it sits a bit high in front of my anklebone. I really have to kick back quite a way to release it. Trade-off is is doesn't slide rope on it's own till at least 15' up.

RedlineIt

Latest posts

Back