footlocking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've been training a new climber at work. This guy learned to FL before he could get the hang of the Pantin. I would think it would be the other way around. I use both, but proabably the Pantin more often (seems that it wastes a 'lil less energy).

I was hesitant to learn to footlock. What I finally did was make the commitment to climb one different tree each day using it instead of my traditional methods. I did it at work so I got paid.

You can read all about it or watch others do it, but you have to practice quite a bit before it becomes easy or time saving.

I'm not 100% convinced it's the best way to enter a tree, but it's a good tool to have.

When I FL I like to place my rope above and near another limb so I can just step onto it,less hassle.Sort of like getting off on the third floor instead of the fourth.

Does anyone use the Rock Exotica FL'r?

Like Mike says, a good tool to have. Sometimes ladders are better, sometimes a body thrust to a low limb will save time over isolating a line and all that jazz.

Single rope is when one end is anchored at the ground or on a bo'lin' choker, or the like. You ascend into the tree belayed to a single end of the rope. When anchred on the ground this method allows the use of higher multiple crotches and less isolation of the line.

Doubled rope requires isolation, but you dont have to reset the line or haul a second into the tree with you. Both require flipping in and tieing off the the rope end to work (though I have used SRT for short work purposes)

One can footlock the trailing end of your line when working on the traditional loop system. IMO this is the best way to learn the motions of getting a lock. I know guys who prefer this method for entry over SRT or DdRT....

For me it is whatever works best for the given situation.

I used a friend's Rock Exoctica FLr . It definitely slides up the line with incredible ease and you don't have to worry as much about the 5:1 split. On the downside I find that it is way easier to tie a klemheist on a prusik loop then it is to mess with installing and uninstalling the line with the flootlocker. and then there's the price, of course. I'll be sticking with my prusik loop for now.

I use paired Petzle ascenders, I may go to MarBars for long pitches soon, I screwed up my shoulder and it does not like my current method of holding the rope/ascenders.

I didn't read anyone mentioning the wear and tear the rope endures during sinlge line ascent as opposed to climbing both at once. Yet if you have the isolation why not apply a friction saver? I use footlocking when I have the chance, but I don't like the pantin or any other ascender. I just don't see enough big climbs. I don't like the idea of stabbing my life line with prickly metal barbs, snagging at the fibers.

Curtis,

The Pantin has a really light spring in the cam and the teeth are less aggresive than the handled ascenders.

Wear on rope is really inconsequential with SRT. Ropes deteriorate more from snagging on bark or dragging in the dirt and ground debris.

At some time in your life you'll look at the Pantin and other tools as ways to reduce wear and tear on your body. Using these inexpensive tools will add time onto the other end of your climbing career.

Many times, the branch that I use as an access point isn't my Tie In Point, TIP. Why mess around setting a false crotch and then reset it when I get to my TIP?

I can demonstrate very easily how SRT ascent is simpler and more efficient than using DdRT. It takes too long to write it out though. There is plenty of information on the three major arbo discussion forums, here, Eye Ess Aye or Tr**Buzz.

Tom

Originally posted by Mike Maas

You can read all about it or watch others do it, but you have to practice quite a bit before it becomes easy or time saving.

I learned footlocking like a duck takes to water. It really takes no time at all to learn. When I used to footlock, it "was" easy and still required arm strength. (Notice the past tense nature of this reply.)
I learned it at the time when it was taught without the use of prusik. I abandoned the technique because 1) on ascents, the rope was doubled over a limb which spread the rope too far apart at the limb the rope was wrapped around. This meant I needed to stretch my arms farther above me to reach the limb. 2) I felt there was too much of a risk of falling because I wasn't secured to anything in case of a slip.

Once the prusik and friction rings were introduced into the system, I tried the technique again. My technique was o.k., but I found my arm strength (grip) wasn't what it used to be. I considered the loss of strength a tradeoff from becoming a proficient climber.

Joe

Rock Exotica and Footlocking

So who has used this thing? I bought it a few weeks ago and have come to the conclusion that I just don't like it.

If the two ends of your climbing line twist as you ascend, you have to stop, spin around to untwist the lines, then proceed. A prusik will slide right over the twisted line.

Ya dig?

love
nick

I used one a couple of times, and thought it was pretty smooth. But for the price I figured that a prusik works almost as well and doesn't take nearly as long to put on the rope.

left over right or right over left

anybody out there footlock the smart way - left over right, then right over left? i heard some of the old-timer national climbing champs talking about chronic hip problems due to footlocking always on the same side. makes sense to me... of course i myself am doing it the dumb way - left over right every time. just wondering...

Re: Rock Exotica and Footlocking

Originally posted by NickfromWI
So who has used this thing? I bought it a few weeks ago and have come to the conclusion that I just don't like it.

If the two ends of your climbing line twist as you ascend, you have to stop, spin around to untwist the lines, then proceed. A prusik will slide right over the twisted line.

Ya dig?

love
nick

Nick after looking through this thread I don't find a visual reference to ..., the Rock Exotica. Can't figure.

I've used the Pantin and continue to on certain climbs.

Jack

Re: left over right or right over left

Originally posted by treegeek
anybody out there footlock the smart way - left over right, then right over left? i heard some of the old-timer national climbing champs talking about chronic hip problems due to footlocking always on the same side. makes sense to me... of course i myself am doing it the dumb way - left over right every time. just wondering...

Makes sense and is there a trick with the L to R etc. Seemes Like a lot of messy moves.

Limping as we speak,
Jack

Right over left

Iam right over left but rarely use it. Learnt late in life and I now mostly Pantin.
I suppose Iam my own Boss so I can cruise.
Also I have this idea that its not "really" about how fast you can acess the canopy.

Re: Right over left

Originally posted by Rob Murphy
Iam right over left but rarely use it. Learnt late in life and I now mostly Pantin.
I suppose Iam my own Boss so I can cruise.
Also I have this idea that its not "really" about how fast you can acess the canopy.

Yeah, know what you mean. Spent the afternoon, Sun, climbing a big oak, first with the Pantin and then foot look. A pleasure climb.

I work alone mostly, except when it is to crazy to do so, people pay me to do exceptional pruning. Not big take downs or get up fast and rig and drop and get out of there. So, I cruise at times too, it is about sensing more accurate pruning decisions first hand though.

Still want to be swift when I want to be. The Pantin has saved me a lot of energy on some climbs where as not haveing someone on the ground lead to branchs in the climbing line and other stuff creating a lot of up and down. And the 'old' FL, although more physical was more satisfying when used.

Jack

we deal with many tall trees here (tall for va avg70-90, sometimes more) and i use the pantin all the time for these climbs. if i footlock, which is usually never, i go left over right.
the pantin with a hand ascender is so easy and you can leave it on your boot while moving through the tree so if you have to go back up a few feet after working down just kick back in and go.

Latest posts

Back