For all the Nay Sayers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's about the weight of the dry wood in the appliance folks. That's where your heat comes from. There is no heat gain in boiling the water from the wood.
Controlling the heat output of your appliance by using green/wet wood is wasting the potential heat that the green/wet stuff could have made for you if it was dry.
If you have enough time, and access to enough wood, that burning half of it off just so that the other half might give you some heat, you have more time and wood than I do.

I am new to this house and spent the summer building my boiler rather than accumulating firewood. At least 1 day per week all winter I spent felling and processing standing dead trees into firewood. Mostly pine, poplar, elm and cherry. My general rule is that if the bark is falling off then its dry enough to burn.

I cannot imagine the elm or pine getting any dryer. Some of the poplar still had a bit too much moisture in it. Almost all of the cherry I burned really would have been better if it seasoned for another year!

I live on 60 mostly wooded acres and only cut trees that are dead. I am looking forward to getting all of next years wood supply processed this spring after I complete the firewood processor.

Latest posts

Back