For the 3/4 wrap guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm using a handy alternative to the standard Stihl scrench on my saws that have a 3/4 wrap bar. I think I got my original with my 020T, but I'm not positive about that. It fits under the handlebar with plenty of clearance, and rides in a pocket or on a tool belt fairly well. I recently found a couple of these NOS, and that is the way to get them as the part # is obsolete.
Look for 1123 893 3400

Untitled by zweitakt250, on Flickr

Looks good. The real test question for me is, does it help keep your hand or fingers off that spike when the nut breaks free. I know my index finger just healed , and it was the bigger wrench.

I found one of those in the back room of the local Stihl dealer couple years ago. Wasnt really sure what to make of it. Now i know. Thanks for posting.:rock:

I just dont run the rear bar nut on my 3/4 wraps...... now i just need to figure out why my chain keeps coming loose.

looks good

I just dont run the rear bar nut on my 3/4 wraps...... now i just need to figure out why my chain keeps coming loose.

looks good

I put a pair of medium size vise grips on the rear bar stud of my 461. I tried to bend the handlebar out of the way but it started making some cracking noises so I thought I better stop. What was stihl thinkin when they came up with that handlebar design.:msp_sad:

What was stihl thinkin when they came up with that handlebar design.:msp_sad:

They were thinking "Let's make a super-comfy wrap bar for folks who use saws a lot". They did a fine job of it, too! I find that the Husky shorty screnches fit well, and some of the generic ones from outfits like Bailey's are good, too, if you just hack off the small (Husky) end. I do like the one pictured above, though, and wouldn't mind getting my hands on one. I wonder how well it holds up? IME it's always a race between stretching the socket end out and breaking the weld.

They were thinking "Let's make a super-comfy wrap bar for folks who use saws a lot". They did a fine job of it, too! I find that the Husky shorty screnches fit well, and some of the generic ones from outfits like Bailey's are good, too, if you just hack off the small (Husky) end. I do like the one pictured above, though, and wouldn't mind getting my hands on one. I wonder how well it holds up? IME it's always a race between stretching the socket end out and breaking the weld.

I do tend to agree with you, but I dont think the intent was to be so tight you need to be Charles Atlas (modern reference) to tighten or untighten.

I put a pair of medium size vise grips on the rear bar stud of my 461. I tried to bend the handlebar out of the way but it started making some cracking noises so I thought I better stop. What was stihl thinkin when they came up with that handlebar design.:msp_sad:

The 3/4 wrap saws are supposed to come with the 1124 890 3400 shorty scrench.

on the newer 3/4 wraps they reshaped the rh side to clear the bar nuts better ,my early 044 has the problem on rear bar nut ,my newer saws a reg bar wrench works ,i have one of those wrenches ,thought my saw shop had a bunch hanging up ,didnt know they are being discontinued

I was joking about the 3/4 wrap being a bad design. When I get a saw that doesn't have a 3/4 or a full wrap
I install one if it's available.

on the newer 3/4 wraps they reshaped the rh side to clear the bar nuts better ,

Now't you mention it, I do recall seeing something about this in the tech bulletin that went out regarding drilling the clutch cover to fit the larger shoulders of newer bar studs. It's like an addendum to an addendum and I had forgot about it altogether until you reminded me.

These screnches have been out a long, long time. We started getting them in the mid-90's with the 021/23/25 saws and they were originally designed not for saws with 3/4 wrap or full-wrap handles (though they work well for that) but rather for the saws with the plastic sprocket covers so you can get more leverage on them.

Now't you mention it, I do recall seeing something about this in the tech bulletin that went out regarding drilling the clutch cover to fit the larger shoulders of newer bar studs. It's like an addendum to an addendum and I had forgot about it altogether until you reminded me.

yes the bar studs are different on later models ,have a collar built in to hold bar groove better ,i was talking about the handlebar was redesigned ,heres image View attachment 271038 older style handle blocks the rear bar nut,may need differnt pic this one looks like may clear one of my older ones didnt with foam grip all way to end of handle

View attachment 271040
newer style a reg bar wrench works

Last edited:
i was talking about the handlebar was redesigned

Disregard my last; I just checked my references and found that it was specifically the MS460 handlebar that was referred to in the same tech bulletin as the bar studs (Technical Information 15.2007). It would appear that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Disregard my last; I just checked my references and found that it was specifically the MS460 handlebar that was referred to in the same tech bulletin as the bar studs (Technical Information 15.2007). It would appear that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

sound like you know what your talking about to me ,i had to drill an older cover once to accept the later bar studs myself ;)

Dont feel bad, my 17 year old daughter tells me I dont know what Im talking about either :msp_confused:

These screnches have been out a long, long time. We started getting them in the mid-90's with the 021/23/25 saws and they were originally designed not for saws with 3/4 wrap or full-wrap handles (though they work well for that) but rather for the saws with the plastic sprocket covers so you can get more leverage on them.

I know I've had my original near 20 years. I may have just picked it up, but I thought it came with my 020T.

Latest posts

Back