? for woodsplitter owners.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll bust some big rounds that I might of missed with the splitter. Or shave some down for kindling with the maul. But as the man says: "Why waltz, when you can rock n roll?"

sometimes I want to just split a few logs, where it would take longer to get the splitter out, fill it up with gas, and start it, I could just get the maul out swing a few times and split what I want, relieves alot of stress and feels good to swing the 8 lb splitter.

I also enjoy going out and splitting wood by hand with the monster maul. If I can't bust them apart, I always result to the use of wedges with the 12lb sledge. Like has been said before by the old timers " Get heated twice".

Im 39 heathly and not in great shape. If I had a hyd.splitter I woudnt touch a maul/sledge with a ten foot pole. Im sick of breaking my back. As soon as I find a good deal on a splitter Im buying one.:)

Hiya Chuck!

Monster Maul is good for you! I want the 16# one from Bailys, too bad it's $50 and a lot more for shipping. Stuff that heavy its best to buy locally, and lucky me I live only a mile from Menards.

I also enjoy going out and splitting wood by hand with the monster maul. If I can't bust them apart, I always result to the use of wedges with the 12lb sledge. Like has been said before by the old timers " Get heated twice".
Three times. The ladies enjoy watching you split those monsters. They sometimes plan a reward. :biggrinbounce2:

Three times. The ladies enjoy watching you split those monsters. They sometimes plan a reward. :biggrinbounce2:

Maybe it works for you but it don;t work for me. Most of the single ladies in these parts are intimidated by a flannel-clad Viking dude swinging away at a huge round.

I split all of our wood when I was growing up with a single bit ax, didn't know any different. A couple of years before I left home, Daddy bought a 6lb maul, man, best thing since sliced bread. I started developing some of the "itises" in my shoulders and elbows in my early 20's and now 20 minutes with a maul hurts for about 2 weeks. The only time it gets used now is to drive a stuck block off of the wedge on the splitter.

The first wood we ever burned was elm, so I used a gas splitter.

When we had some ash and straight oak, I got a maul to try that out, after 1/2 a cord worth by hand, the nerves in my hands and wrists were so messed up from the impacts that tableware and glasses would shake in my hand for a couple days.

No more hand splitting for me, if pieces are of an uncomfortable size to lift, then I use the vertical feature of the splitter or a saw and rip the piece. My body seems to feel much better going those routes.

I've got a couple cords of walnut, locust, sasafrass, and shagbark hickory in rounds that I'll split when the cold weather hits. Its about the only thing that gets me outside during the winter. Can't fish, might as well swing the maul.

I've got a couple cords of walnut, locust, sasafrass, and shagbark hickory in rounds that I'll split when the cold weather hits. Its about the only thing that gets me outside during the winter. Can't fish, might as well swing the maul.
I never liked ice fishing either. I usually came down with frostbite whenever I tried it. And, there is a rumor floating around that wood splits easier when it's cold outside and when the air is dry. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I'll take any advantage I can find when hand splitting. :help:

Im 39 heathly and not in great shape. If I had a hyd.splitter I woudnt touch a maul/sledge with a ten foot pole. Im sick of breaking my back. As soon as I find a good deal on a splitter Im buying one.:)

Guy down the road is 83 chopping by hand myself 49 chopping by hand
there may come a day when I need to use a machine but in the meantime Ill just keep the one I was born with from getting rusty..

Use it or loose it

Is that the True Temper Super Splitter? I saw that in the store not too long ago, it looks impressive. I really like my Fiskars, it performs great in smaller stuff, but I just wish it was about 3 pounds heavier and had a 32" handle. I am tall enough for an overswing with a 28" handle to take a toe off nicely.

It's a flywheel/inertia splitter... http://www.supersplit.com/index.htm

I'm 73 and still prefer doing it by hand. 13 plus cords of willow, 4 cords Locust this year so far all but the knots/crotches done by hand.

Have a pile of about 2 cord of locust waiting (more coming in tomorrow) but I am running it through a splitter (homebuilt, slow, underpowered) as this stuff jusst is not amenable to hand splitting - lots of knots and stringy.

cramped.jpg

Harry K

Latest posts

Back