For y'alls viewing displeasure. A Black Birch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You meant to say "Beauty is in the eye of the BEERholder ;)

Oh and please don't get these guys started on the "Seasoned" wood rant. There are a few fellas on here that don't believe in seasoning wood.

Oooo, thanks for pointing that out! Sometimes I tend to abbreviate things without thinking. I went back and corrected it before too many people see it! (I'm so embarrassed) :redface::cheers:

Last edited:
Okay, how about black n then with crystals on the flat sides of the case? :msp_w00t:

Please let's stay serious in this thread. Your colouration ideas are totally unthinkable without a colour coordinated bling bling hardhat....

:laugh:

Mo clicks , mo money. :D Some of us didn't just fall off the turnip truck. We are driving the turnip truck. :hmm3grin2orange:
This is the second post I've seen where you refer to clicks and money. Are you saying she is getting paid to be here or a Plant to act like a woman to draw attention.:dizzy: Dude.. she's a member just like you and me, one that happens to be a woman that likes to cut wood and ride bikes. You mean there's no women like that where you live? I can assure you she is here for the same reasons you and me are here. Does it really peeve you that bad knowing there are women that can take care of themselves. Also can assure you she is not hired by the administration here to attract attention to the site. Also as for her not posting pics of herself here, there is a slew of members that do not wish their face on the internet. I have no problem with it as I have posted a ton of pics with my ugly mug here. Lots of folks don't want their face and information on the net and probably a smart thing too.As for the turnip truck remark, look to your left quickly and you might see her passing the turnip truck you're driving on her Harley.

Last edited:
This is the second post I've seen where you refer to clicks and money. Are you saying she is getting paid to be here or a Plant to act like a woman to draw attention.:dizzy: Dude.. she's a member just like you and me, one that happens to be a woman that likes to cut wood and ride bikes. You mean there's no women like that where you live? I can assure you she is here for the same reasons you and me are here. Does it really peeve you that bad knowing there are women that can take care of themselves. Also can assure you she is not hired by the administration here to attract attention to the site. Also as for her not posting pics of herself here, there is a slew of members that do not wish their face on the internet. I have no problem with it as I have posted a ton of pics with my ugly mug here. Lots of folks don't want their face and information on the net and probably a smart thing too.As for the turnip truck remark, look to your left quickly and you might see her passing the turnip truck you're driving on her Harley.

straight SS, straight!! thanks.

For all of those that mentioned sharpening or putting a new edge on a new chain, I went ahead and put the other new chain on the 5020, took a test cut just to make sure. Yep, sawdust n chips. So I then took my file to the cutters, and dang, what a world of difference! I bet I could have cut my time in half felling that tree had I done that to begin with! :msp_biggrin: So definitely, than you everyone for that suggestion1

Then I went ahead and noodled a couple of big rounds but only in one direction several times each. I'm not about to let some gnarly curly stringy wood begrudge me some splitting time. As I put each slab on my fat cookie, it still took a lot of effort to break off a piece. This is all the bottom part of the trunk (below and above) where I made my felling cuts. But you know what? I love it! :msp_w00t:

Right now I'm taking a lunch break.

When you say "Barbie Saw" what kind of saw and size is it your referring to? (90cc with a 36" bar? :msp_biggrin: ) N actually, what kind of bling? Did you use some Gem-Tac or some other kind of glue?

It's a Stihl 440 with a 28 inch bar. I believe I got the bling at Michael's which is a craft supplies store and it comes with adhesive on it. The stickers come from there or the WalMarche. I'll take a picture if the sun ever appears today.

The little stick on trees were too fragile and did not last.

As far as chains go, when I bought the saw and also for the saw at work, I went into the saw shop and said I wanted the same type of chain that is used on landing saws. I got round file, full skip and have been very happy with it. I'm cutting some filthy wood and have bucked up logs that were pulled out of a mud slide with it. I did not have to file it nearly as much as I thought I would.

This might not work everywhere. Our saw shops are oriented to supplying fallers and loggers.

Last edited:
Storm, I think a cross country bike trip to Norcal is in order so you could attend the GTG that they have coming up. I'm sure some of those pro loggers could give you some private lessons.

Back to the tricky felling. Lately I've been having really good luck with the 25% face, 25% hinge wood, 50% back cut, and then pull it down. It's worked so well for me that I can't see changing my method. Unless the other more seasoned fellers can find problems with my technique!

I'd have never thought to tie the ladder to the tree without seeing Daniel Murphy show it on YouTube. Any other time I cut from the ground, but I'd like to put a carving on this stem.

[video=youtube_share;ypkNy3pTFRQ]http://youtu.be/ypkNy3pTFRQ[/video]

Back to the tricky felling. Lately I've been having really good luck with the 25% face, 25% hinge wood, 50% back cut, and then pull it down. It's worked so well for me that I can't see changing my method. Unless the other more seasoned fellers can find problems with my technique!

I'd have never thought to tie the ladder to the tree without seeing Daniel Murphy show it on YouTube. Any other time I cut from the ground, but I'd like to put a carving on this stem.

[video=youtube_share;ypkNy3pTFRQ]http://youtu.be/ypkNy3pTFRQ[/video]

Ladders are not safe even if the ladder don't fall you are still stuck on it if the tree went before you thought it would. Also for general reasons ladders are not safe. Nice of Murphy to show people to use ladders like they are a good thing. Why did you need the ladder anyway?

Latest posts

Back