For you guys that use kindling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kindling? Kindling is for Cub Scouts… :D
I use two methods for starting my fires.

The first is the one I’ve used for over thirty years to start the wood stove and the fire pit. I always have some kerosene, fuel oil or diesel fuel around and I always have used motor oil. I use a container with a lid, such as a coffee can, paint can or whatever. Fill the can with charcoal briquettes and cover with a 50/50 mix of diesel/used oil and keep it somewhere handy by the stove/pit. When it comes time to start the fire I just toss my wood in the stove, grab one of those briquettes (two or three if’n your in a big hurry) with an old pair of grilling tongs and shove it between a couple of bottom splits… light with a butane lighter and presto… we have fire. When the can starts getting low on briquettes, just add more. The briquettes don’t have to be covered with the oil; they’ll draw it up so you don’t have to add oil more than once or twice a year.

The second method uses the lint my wife pulls off the clothes dryer screen. I keep a squirt bottle (like lighter fluid bottle) of the same oil mix for starting the occasional brush, grass, leaf or whatever fire. I shove a tuft of dryer lint between a couple splits and squirt it with the oil mix… light with a butane lighter and presto… we have fire. The lint, just like the briquette, works like a wick, burns long and hot.

The lint method works fine with dry splits, even large splits, but not so well with rounds or damp wood. The charcoal briquette method works well with any because long after the oil is consumed the briquette(s) glow red hot keeping the flame going.

Now, y’all can talk about the cost of kerosene and charcoal briquettes… but, it cost me what? Maybe ten bucks a year? Maybe fifteen bucks if I get crazy with the number of briquettes I use? That’s the price of a case of beer… and I just pee that away.

I do something similar to Whitespider. I put my waste used motor oil and other flammable fuels/oils in 5 gallon buckets. Once the bucket is about 1/2 full I add splitter scraps and sticks to fill the bucket and then put a lid on it and a rock on the lid. The buckets are stored outside to prevent fumes building up in the shed. When I need to start a fire in the OWB I just place a handful of the oil soaked wood down first and then stack the rest of the firewood on top of that. Then I hit it with the self-lighting propane torch for a few seconds, close the door and turn on the automatic draft blower. The OWB fires up quickly and is heating the water in as little as 5 or 10 minutes. By the time it reaches operating temperature the starter wood is gone, the draft blower shuts off and the system stabilizes.

I normally burn 24/7 from late October to early April, so the only time I actually have to start fires in the OWB is during the summer months when the solar panels aren't receiving enough sun to keep the tank hot enough to provide my DHW needs. At those times I have usually been working long and hard and am in desperate need of a long hot shower, so having the OWB heat up quickly is a big plus.

Cigaretter Lighter...

I forgot something. Five years ao I found a small butane cigarette lighter (Bic?) in my yard while cutting grass. Maybe a squirrel dragged it there. I picked it up and saved it.

Dang thing works so well that I haven't lit a match since then to start the stove with newspapers wrapped around small boxes stuffed with wood shop leftovers. :cool2:

been using my old cedar fence. kept the old cedar when I replaced my fence. it's like tinder when dry. one can find loads of used cedar fence next to free for the hauling on craigslist.

My little shop stove only holds abot 2 cubic ft, I load it and use oak and hickory noodles
to start a top down fire. Combined with the heat from my truck, this will last till bedtime most nights but if its real cold I'll add a few sticks.
Cedar and stuff from the splitter also make good fire starters.

Back