Ford 8N

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promac850

formerly promac610
Reaction score
We are looking at a Ford 8N in great shape, and has some attachments...

I already know these are a damn good tractor, but I was wondering if there was anything else, important or not, to know about these 8N's...

I read there is no hydraulic filter, and wonder if there is a kit to install one or what is needed to put one on. I know metal particles and water kill hydros...

Any and all help and insight greatly appreciated, and if all goes well and as planned, you should see some pics here... :cheers:

Well, one thing to watch out for is the PTO on those. When you disengage the PTO while mowing, the momentum of the turning blade will continue to turn the PTO shaft and you will go forward, even when standing on the brake pedals. I have seen many folks run through fences due to the tractor trans. being spun by the blade on the mower.
Good old tractors though, just be careful of that PTO.
Jeff

I used to have an 8N years ago. Mowingman is right about the PTO. You can get a PTO adapter to go on the PTO shaft that will eliminate that problem. I had one on mine that worked fine. It worked like a ratchet best I remember.

Ah, that PTO quirk could have been quite a surprise...

A ratchet thingamajigabob that prevents that? Will have to do some research on that.

Thanks guys!!

The ratchet thing is called an over running clutch, available at most ag stores/ dealers.
The pto is not powered when you push in on the clutch, so if you are starting off on a grade, you have get the mower spinning AND start the tractor moving, can be a bit hard on the clutch.
Gearing on these is ok in the fields, but a bit fast in the woods/hills.

The ratchet thing is called an over running clutch, available at most ag stores/ dealers.
The pto is not powered when you push in on the clutch, so if you are starting off on a grade, you have get the mower spinning AND start the tractor moving, can be a bit hard on the clutch.
Gearing on these is ok in the fields, but a bit fast in the woods/hills.

So if I plan on running a tractor with a brush hog/etc. on fairly hilly areas (our field is pretty hilly, but have seen worse) I should look for something else?

Our hills aren't incredibly steep, but they definitely aren't like the rolling shallow hills in Iowa.

Walking about 100 feet yields about a 2 or 3 foot rise or fall over most of the field, one end is more like every 50 feet yields about a 3 foot rise or fall...

I was thinking how easy it would be to use a back blade on this thing to clear the driveway... the one we're looking at has the back blade, lawn roller, and a rear bucket/scoop included in the deal.

Not to mention how a four foot tiller would take care of the garden in a few minutes...

I was operating in much steeper terrain than you describe, near Hagerstown , MD.
It can be done, just works the clutch pretty hard. If you are moving already and don't have to stop, mowing a steep hill is no problem.

The one I had would have lost traction if it was chained to a sick whore and trying to pull her out of bed. I've never seen a more traction challenged tractor. Other than that a good tractor.

073.jpg

2,8,9 n's are around 26 hp I have their big brother the ford 800 45 hp it will pull a two bottom plow in our rock. I have a grader blade, box blade,two disk turning plow and brush hog. I maintain my forty acres with it quite well:cheers:

Last edited:
The 2N,9N,8N tractor is a good mowing tractor. You will need to fabricate a height mount . The non-live PTO is taken care of with a over running coupler. They are cheap and easily bought. The power is plenty to run a 5ft. They do need to be ran in 1st gear though. We have used a one the dealer delivered it in 1947.

Bill

My grandfather had an Ford 861 that had a two stage clutch. Push the pedal part way down and the tranny would stop, rest of the way and the pto stopped. You could also adjust the linkage so that everything stopped when the pedal was depressed. Power steering was also a big plus.

Ours was always prone to having brake issues. The seals leaked and got oil on the pads. Never could fix the problem. But they will run forever. Sold mine to a friend years ago, still running fine, and starts if you just think about it.

Ours was always prone to having brake issues. The seals leaked and got oil on the pads. Never could fix the problem. But they will run forever. Sold mine to a friend years ago, still running fine, and starts if you just think about it.

I read about that brake issue, the 8N owner's tips page said overfilling the trans/pto would cause excess to leak out of the seals and ruin the brakes.

10:1 hours of use/service sound about right? An hour of maintenance for every 10 hours of use?

A 8n is fine for a small acreage situation, like Rope said 40 acres or less. They are pretty limited in what they will do, they are very challenged as far as traction. Your basically running no more than a Model A engine. The hydraulics on these are really limited, won't lift a hell of a lot. They are good for running a 5' brush hog or pulling 2-12" plows, but not very deep. A over running clutch is a must with these little machines.
In this country about all you see them do is pull a hay rake anymore, a few still use them to brush hog small places. If you use a 3 point brush hog, instead of using a normal rigid third link, use a heavy piece of log chain, it lets the brush hog float with the terrain. Watch the brakes on these little guys, they are usually weak. Use one within it's limitations and they're all right, start overloading one and you trash it in a hurry.

So I couldn't use a pallet fork on the three point to lift 48x48" pallets stacked four feet tall with seasoned firewood?

Tilling is too much for it also?

I'm maintaining 14 acres...

You could handle a 4' tiller, I doubt if you could pick up a 48 x48 stacked four foot high, it just doesn't have the capacity, plus you'll have to counterweight the front end, it doesn't take much to make the front end lift up in the air. It's one of the things you have to watch with a 8n, they are light in the front. Rear lift is rated at only 800 lbs. Actual pto hp is only about 22 hp., that is when they are new. Tractordata.com has good info on the model. You just have to keep it's limitations in mind when using it. Down here you can find them from around a 1000.00 to 2000.00 for a cherry. I've got a neighbor that has been trying to sell a little 9n for about four months for 1500.00. They'll pull about 2200 lbs according to test, in the tractor data test it only put out 18.5 hp on the pto shaft.

You could handle a 4' tiller, I doubt if you could pick up a 48 x48 stacked four foot high, it just doesn't have the capacity, plus you'll have to counterweight the front end, it doesn't take much to make the front end lift up in the air. It's one of the things you have to watch with a 8n, they are light in the front. Rear lift is rated at only 800 lbs. Actual pto hp is only about 22 hp., that is when they are new. Tractordata.com has good info on the model. You just have to keep it's limitations in mind when using it. Down here you can find them from around a 1000.00 to 2000.00 for a cherry. I've got a neighbor that has been trying to sell a little 9n for about four months for 1500.00. They'll pull about 2200 lbs according to test, in the tractor data test it only put out 18.5 hp on the pto shaft.

Looks like we're gonna have to look for something bigger. Anyone have a good suggestion as to a tractor, loader and all that would move pallets of firewood, mow down hay, and do tilling in rock hard clay?

It's been said "If you think you need a 30 hp tractor, get a 40 hp tractor." Is that a good rule to follow?

Like I think a 30 hp is what we need here, but 40 should be bought to run whatever we might find for it later?

I've got tractors from 45 hp to 140 hp, the most used tractor on the place is a little 4500 JD 4wd. Regardless of brand I find that 40-45 hp is an excellent size for what most people want to do. There are many good tractor brands Kubota, Kioti, JD, Yanmar, on and on. If you plan on doing any loader work 4wd is sure handy. I can do the work of a 60 hp 2 wd machine with the little 45hp 4wd tractor.
For hydraulics looks at how many gpm pump is on the machine, the more the better. Lot's of good ole machines around just take your time, you'll find one. Three point is a must for any modern implements.
Some of the little Massey's were nice, like the little 135's up to 165 would fit your needs. David Browns were solid little tractors, the 880,885 and 990 were solid. The Case 530 was a good small tractor.
The little 2020 JD was good, the 800 and 900 series JD's made by Yanmar are good small acreage machines. Minneapolis Moline U302, and Jetstar's were ahead of their time in features. Someone else can comment on the small Internationals, don't know them as well. The Ford 4000 was a really good small machine. Main thing is too take your time and make sure a machine is sound mechanically, tractor repair isn't cheap.

I've got tractors from 45 hp to 140 hp, the most used tractor on the place is a little 4500 JD 4wd. Regardless of brand I find that 40-45 hp is an excellent size for what most people want to do. There are many good tractor brands Kubota, Kioti, JD, Yanmar, on and on. If you plan on doing any loader work 4wd is sure handy. I can do the work of a 60 hp 2 wd machine with the little 45hp 4wd tractor.
For hydraulics looks at how many gpm pump is on the machine, the more the better. Lot's of good ole machines around just take your time, you'll find one. Three point is a must for any modern implements.
Some of the little Massey's were nice, like the little 135's up to 165 would fit your needs. David Browns were solid little tractors, the 880,885 and 990 were solid. The Case 530 was a good small tractor.
The little 2020 JD was good, the 800 and 900 series JD's made by Yanmar are good small acreage machines. Minneapolis Moline U302, and Jetstar's were ahead of their time in features. Someone else can comment on the small Internationals, don't know them as well. The Ford 4000 was a really good small machine. Main thing is too take your time and make sure a machine is sound mechanically, tractor repair isn't cheap.

I saw a David Brown 885 in a tractor auction mag for 5500. Is that what they go for?

Also, We are looking for one where the brake shoes don't cost 100 bucks a pair (like our 317...:blob2:)

In other words, if it's possible, we want to pay what the parts cost to be made, shipped, + the small amount dealers need to make money added on top, not for a name associated with a pair of brake shoes. From what I hear, John Deere and Kubota are known for making you pay out the ass for parts. We want to avoid that if possible.

I was looking around at parts for the 8N, and holy crap, all of the parts are cheaper than the similar parts on our 317!!! Heck, about the only thing more expensive would be the wheels and tires on the 8N...

Definitely gonna try to go for a good 40-45 hp with a PTO and at least 15 GPM on hydro (if there is one that good)

Even so, we are looking at the 8N Saturday, who knows, maybe some sign will show itself and we will end up bringing it home. Maybe it is what we need, for now anyways.

I saw a David Brown 885 in a tractor auction mag for 5500. Is that what they go for?

Also, We are looking for one where the brake shoes don't cost 100 bucks a pair (like our 317...:blob2:)

In other words, if it's possible, we want to pay what the parts cost to be made, shipped, + the small amount dealers need to make money added on top, not for a name associated with a pair of brake shoes. From what I hear, John Deere and Kubota are known for making you pay out the ass for parts. We want to avoid that if possible.

I was looking around at parts for the 8N, and holy crap, all of the parts are cheaper than the similar parts on our 317!!! Heck, about the only thing more expensive would be the wheels and tires on the 8N...

Definitely gonna try to go for a good 40-45 hp with a PTO and at least 15 GPM on hydro (if there is one that good)

Even so, we are looking at the 8N Saturday, who knows, maybe some sign will show itself and we will end up bringing it home. Maybe it is what we need, for now anyways.

Like I said the 800 ford is 45hp and can be found in diesel, mine is gas it is more tractor than a 2,8,9n you can even find them industrial with ps and loader. Mine is gas, I have 3k in it and my implements and it has served me fine but i have my skid for a loader! They can be found in great condition 2 to 4k!

Back