Ford diesel engine high miles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Whoops I meant to post this in used equip forum... Can't delete..

I was lookingat a '93 F-350 4x4 diesel with a 12' dumping stake body... heavy springs and almost ready for chipping...
Looked and ran pretty well, though with 179K miles, I was a little concerned... The owner wants $7,500...
I noticed a couple of problems... The oil pan was leaking both at the gasket and starting to rust through at the bottom..
The transfer case was hit and slightly damaged by the PTO driveshaft, which got tweaked when the truck was loaded too heavy for the hoist.. Doesn't appear to be leaking badly..
The PTO shaft was just straighrenned and replaced...
I thinbk I have an 86 parts truck which may have the same transfer case..
The muffler had been replaced by straight pipe, when it rotted off... the guy liked the extra power, cause he was hauling a skid steer up a monster hill by his house...
Not too much rust... just a little on the stake body..
New paint and fairly clean interior...

I need a truck to chip into this spring badly as I Am missing a lot of work... Yet I got a bad feeing about this truck...The major thing I can think of is the mileage... How long will that diesel last?.. Black cat ran across the drive as I followed him to his house...

Your thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.. any other sies that could help me here?

Daniel, 175K is small change on a Diesel. My Dad's '97 Dodge with Cummins Turbo Diesel just crossed the 500K mark-he's gone through a couple of starters but the motor is still purring. I've talked to Hot-shot haulers who routinely put 750,000 on their 1 ton diesels before an overhaul-some are going past the 1 million mark before major work.:cool:

Go with your gut on this one. If it is telling you to not get the truck... then don't get it. I knew somebody who just traded in a 97 F350 with the diesel, 8' dump, and a bunch of goodies. The dealer gave him $18,000 for it, and they are asking $19,000 for it. The truck only has about 50,000 miles on it. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole though. Yes, it's clean, and yes it has a bunch of nice add ons... however the former owner used to beat the living heck out of that truck around the clock. Somebody who I know told me that it is starting to fall apart because of the driver's treatment of it.

ive had loads of fords but will never have another ...nothing but problems ..id like someone too show me a ford that doesnt leak oil!
ive had new fords that leak oil..as for the miles .that wouldnt bother me as ive had diesals do over 350,000..for smaller trucks upto 7.5 ton gross weight i dont think you can go wrong with JAPANESE..if i where you i think id leave this one

changeing the subject a bit
..i have spent many years working second hand trucks..but now i only buy new trucks and i keep them for a good many years..i like the 3 year warrenty ...i know how its been treated and serviced..i like the fact that when i bought the truck apart from some body adjustments it was a case of turn the key and start earning..yes a new truck costs a bit more but you can claim it back against tax..and obviously i pay for the thing monthly ...but the best thing i ever did was buy a new truck...go on Murph spend a bit you cant take it with you.. :D

uh....Rollacosta,
Come on over the big pond and i'll show ya mine that does not leak oil....never has. Wal yur here you can try out some Kansas City BBQ !!! YUM YUM.

ROLLA...

None of mine do... and I've got FIVE.

Ford ROCKS!

murph, I wouldn't be too concerned miles-wise... that diesel is just getting broke in. But, it DOES sound like it's lived a HARD life.

im probably a little biased but japanese trucks around 6-7 tonne are good units i have a mitsubishi dump its been real good i would love more power but fuel prices$1 litre

seems a little steep, but that mill is bearly broke in.
i just picked up a long chassis ton for 500 bucks, with a rebuilt 420.
think they started replacin the 6.9 with the 7.3 in 87. basically the same motor with bigger jugs
keep your eyes open for a better deal

Originally posted by aussie_lopa
im probably a little biased but japanese trucks around 6-7 tonne are good units i have a mitsubishi dump its been real good i would love more power but fuel prices$1 litre

come overhere we got the highest priced feul in the world...$1.90 australian dollers............a litre

come overhere we got the highest priced feul in the world...$1.90 australian dollers............

come overhere we got the highest priced feul in the world...$1.90 australian dollers............a litre

Did you doubleclick the submit button? Maybe your just trying to up your post count:D

Originally posted by Stumper
Daniel, 175K is small change on a Diesel. My Dad's '97 Dodge with Cummins Turbo Diesel just crossed the 500K mark-he's gone through a couple of starters but the motor is still purring. I've talked to Hot-shot haulers who routinely put 750,000 on their 1 ton diesels before an overhaul-some are going past the 1 million mark before major work.:cool:

A Cummins is a med. duty engine in a light duty truck. The Cummins is factory rated to run 350,000 miles without an overhaul. The Ford Powerstroke is rated a light duty engine. It will go about 200,000 miles w/o overhaul. OTR trucks (big rigs) have heavy duty diesels. They are rated for 1,000,000 miles. A big rig with 250K miles is considered a low mileage truck.

I have a friend who had a 1977 Dodge with a gas 360 cu. in. V8 and he put on 411,000 miles on it before it blew up on the freeway. He now has a 1987 Chevy with a 350 cu. in. V8 gasser that has over 325,000 miles. Where he is putting all these miles in Hawaii I don't know.

So bottom line is, It is possible for almost any engine to go a long time with proper care.

Back