ford f 600 ring and pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawson's tree s

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have a 1989 ford f 600 asplundh chip truck with a man cab. im looking for a used rockwell ring and pinion or the whole pumpkin the gear ratio is a 7 :17.
might sell the whole truck depends on how much it cost to fix and put in..

i have a 1989 ford f 600 asplundh chip truck with a man cab. im looking for a used rockwell ring and pinion or the whole pumpkin the gear ratio is a 7 :17.
might sell the whole truck depends on how much it cost to fix and put in..

Thats one of the easiest things to fix on a medium duty truck, put it in yorself!
pull the small bolts around the inside of the axles on the hubs and pull the axles out, remove the driveshaft, unbolt the punkin. replace in reverse order. the truck never leaves the ground.
the harder part is finding one to begin with. are you sure you need the whole thing, or maybe you need a few bearings?
-Ralph

Last edited:
all i need is the ring and pinion gears a guy i had working for me got it stuck and i guess it messed the teeth up on the gears. i called the local ford dealer for trucks today they said they will get back to me with a quote..

ha ha neighbor's 1500 for the truck more like 3,000 and i would let it leave the yard. motor, trans, and south co forestry body are worth that.

ahh, broke a few teeth then. that sux, but its an easy fix. at least you can pull it and do the ring/pinion swap in a warm garage.

funny, my 88 GMC has the same ratio as yours, 7.17:1 talk about low! 4 speed tranny and I'm at 3500 rpm at 55mph. but it will nearly climb straight up. no lack of power to the ground. with a 4Klb morbark chipper behind it, it will burn the rear duals off in first and chirp in second. not that I do that (on purpose) its an x-asplundh truck as well.
-Ralph

r&p swap

should be a tag on the center section. check local junk yards but I say time is money so I always called TRANSAXLE INC. usually had a exchange unit in stock. Might be a little pricey though but a quick fix.

all i need is the ring and pinion gears a guy i had working for me got it stuck and i guess it messed the teeth up on the gears. i called the local ford dealer for trucks today they said they will get back to me with a quote..

The price on a new ring&pinion from Ford will probably scare you. also, you will be better off buying a center section from a salvage yard unless you are experienced at setting up ring&pinion sets. As mentioned earlier, drain the rear end, pull the axles, unbolt the center section, and swap it for another one. No special tooling required and far easier than trying to correctly set up a ring&pinion in your old enter section. Somebody like Winer or Adelman will have a center section you can just swap out.
Finnbear

found one for 1,500 fresh rebuild they are going to bring it to the house and take the old one for a core. local truck mechanic has a friend who deals with them just built the pumpkin for a guy and he wont come and get it or call him back. his loss is my gain. im going to put it in this weekand.

yeah, thats what I thought too. $1,500 for a reman/rebuilt punkin is nutz! he better install it, refill with full synthetic lube and gurantee it for as long as I own it. even then its high.
-Ralph

i took your guys advice called the mechanic today told him the price sounded to high and i was going to look around. he said you'll not find a cheaper price nowhere. i told him thats fine ill look around .

personally i would definatly rather dish out the 1500 bucks rather then have a truck down for a few more weeks during the busiest time of the year for most of us up north

Call your local fleetpride place. I've had good luck with them.
Also look around the web for military surplus truck dealers. Seems I've seen places that have piles of old Rockwells laying around. If it wasn't 3 minutes to 5:00 and my but going skiing tonight I'd do some poking around for you!

Jim

Latest posts

Back