Ford Super Duty with the 5.4L

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just went through this, upgraded from a ranger that I pulled way to much stuff with so when I hear people saying a 250 with a 5.4 won't pull some stuff I laugh :) I ended up with a 250 with a V10...I don't know how guys are getting 8mpg loaded or empty but most guys get 12-14 empty and 10-12 loaded but could be less depending what your hauling. If anyone is getting under 10mpg all the time I'd suggest having your brakes checked especially the rear they are known to stick and drag....I looked at a 350 with a v10, took it to a buddies garage before I bought and he found that both rear brakes were dragging and almost red hot from a 15 minute drive to the shop...that's not good for mpg :) He said something gets rusted and doesn't slide....

Look around on the ford forums, most guys say a 250 with a 5.4 will tow whatever you want, I only got the v10 because it's what I happened to find used. I wanted a 5.4 in either a 250 or 150 but if your really hauling the rear springs in the 250 are a huge jump up from a 150.

Since I'm a Chevy guy I may be a bit biased, but my 2001 Extened cab long bed 1500 w/the 5.3L is a far stronger rig than the 2002 F-350 Regular cab with the 5.4L that I use at work. The 5.4l might be reliable enough, but it's gutless with a load on it. I towed a 3000Lb trailer with the F-350 and it was all it could do to hold highway speed on a moderate grade.

The 8 mpg for the 6.8L V10 would be rough. Your gas mileage for your 5.4L with 4.10 gears would work for me. Realistically, my hauling and pulling is 'occasional'. I would want decent gas mileage for running into town when my wife is using the other vehicle, camping trips, into town with the family to get an appliance or material and so on.

Hind end squatting could be handled with Timbren springs.

I like space, so I think a crewcab (long bed) would suit me better...but it makes for a looonngg truck.

Kevin

I'm in a Super Duty but it's not a truck. It's an Excursion. 4x4, V10, 4.30:1 gears. Pulls like a champ. 7.5 - 8.5 mpg pulling up to 14k lbs, about 9 mpg pulling 7,000 - 8,000 lbs, 11-12 empty in town, and about 13 hwy empty.

It will pull anything you want to put behind it. I had it on the scale at the saw mill at 32,620 lbs!

All in all, I think I'd rather have the V10 instead of the 5.4 and I'd get as much gear as you can find. 4.10:1 or 4.30:1 for any amount of towing.

Here's you some pictures:

2009-08-28012.jpg

2009-08-28015.jpg

2009-07-10002.jpg

2009-06-09010.jpg

2009-06-09012.jpg

2008-04-02005.jpg

2009-03-30001.jpg

2009-10-26004.jpg

KMB, do some research on fuel economy,as the numbers being posted here for the 5.4 are accurate,however,I have several friends with the V10 Ford triton,and it is actually better on fuel than the 5.4 triton in 75% of the driving conditions.The only place a 5.4 gets better mpg than a V10 is stop and go driving,empty.As soon as your towing or hauling heavy in the bed,or running highway the V10 does better on fuel.The 5.4 will haul anything you want,but if your towing over 7000lbs or any full height enclosed trailer,the V10 is going to be much moire enjoyable to drive,as the 5.4 does not have a lot of torque for the size truck it is in,the super duty is a heavy truck,with a big frontal area,in a 4x4 supercab,it almost needs a v10 .
I am also reading the tow capacity chart with interest,as my 2001 GMC 2500HD has a noticeably higher tow rating than the super dutys with the v8 or v10.I have the 8.1 allison w 3.73 and im pretty sure my tow rating is 12,600lbs or higher,and the trucks w 4.10 have a 15,000 lb tow rating....youd think the Super duty v10 truck would be rated very close to with the GM.

What ford truck forum are all of you looking at?

KMB, are you only interested in Ford? If I were in the market for a gasser I'd be looking for a GMC (Chevy if you must) 2500/3500 with the 6.0. GREAT motor and the tow/haul mode on the trans is awsome! If you're set on Ford would you be interested in diesel? The '95-'97 era F350's are great trucks if you can find a clean one. That's what I was looking for when I came across a sweet deal on a '03 and fell in love.

KMB, are you only interested in Ford? If I were in the market for a gasser I'd be looking for a GMC (Chevy if you must) 2500/3500 with the 6.0. GREAT motor and the tow/haul mode on the trans is awsome! If you're set on Ford would you be interested in diesel? The '95-'97 era F350's are great trucks if you can find a clean one. That's what I was looking for when I came across a sweet deal on a '03 and fell in love.

This is where I spend some of my time when I'm not on AS:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

This question gets kicked around a TON on a SuperDuty forum I watch. I have an '05 5.4 automatic, Supercab Long box 4wd w /3.73. A lot of people who have the 5.4 are fine with them, as am I. You won't win races up mountains towing or anything, but you'll get there just fine as long as you aren't afraid to rev the engine. The SD gas engines are fairly high revvers for truck engines.

The year makes a big difference. Starting in '05 they went to the 3V gas engines and the newer front end that uses coil springs instead of leafs. This helps turning radius a lot, I'm told, but I haven't experienced the leaf version. The 3V engine was a big power boost over the earlier 2V version. The new 3V is almost as powerful as the old V10 was (2V). '05 also gets you the much raved about Torqshift 5spd automatic tranny. Head and shoulders better than the previous 4spd is the consensus there too. Early '05's had a design flaw in the tranny that caused cracked cases from a snap ring shifting around, but they fixed it and most of them were repaired under warranty. You'll want to check that if you get an 05 but don't worry 06+.

If I were you I would look for either a V10 or a V8 in the '05+ lines. People who tow or haul a lot say the V10 doesn't seem to be much worse on gas as it gets worked a bit less hard. Everyone who has the V10 raves about it bigtime. The V8 will work fine, but I wouldn't turn away a good truck with the V10. The other reason is that some 70%+ of SD's came with the diesel, so finding gas engines can be tough - take it when you find a good one. The higher gears 4.10 will help the 5.4 a lot, but probably aren't as important with the V10 .

If you are going to tow a lot, get one with the integrated trailer brake controller (another reason to go '05+)

One final point - there is almost ZERO difference between a 250 and 350. Everything on the trucks are the same with the exception that they put a 4" spacer block under the rear leafs on the 350 and a 2" on the 250, so the 350 can use a bit more of the springs. Other than that there is supposedly a different spline count on a drive shaft and then the all important door sticker GVWR as the only other differences. This is also a frequent topic on that forum...

And yes they ride like hay wagons. Especially empty.

HTH
-Dave

This question gets kicked around a TON on a SuperDuty forum I watch. I have an '05 5.4 automatic, Supercab Long box 4wd w /3.73. A lot of people who have the 5.4 are fine with them, as am I. You won't win races up mountains towing or anything, but you'll get there just fine as long as you aren't afraid to rev the engine. The SD gas engines are fairly high revvers for truck engines.

The year makes a big difference. Starting in '05 they went to the 3V gas engines and the newer front end that uses coil springs instead of leafs. This helps turning radius a lot, I'm told, but I haven't experienced the leaf version. The 3V engine was a big power boost over the earlier 2V version. The new 3V is almost as powerful as the old V10 was (2V). '05 also gets you the much raved about Torqshift 5spd automatic tranny. Head and shoulders better than the previous 4spd is the consensus there too. Early '05's had a design flaw in the tranny that caused cracked cases from a snap ring shifting around, but they fixed it and most of them were repaired under warranty. You'll want to check that if you get an 05 but don't worry 06+.

If I were you I would look for either a V10 or a V8 in the '05+ lines. People who tow or haul a lot say the V10 doesn't seem to be much worse on gas as it gets worked a bit less hard. Everyone who has the V10 raves about it bigtime. The V8 will work fine, but I wouldn't turn away a good truck with the V10. The other reason is that some 70%+ of SD's came with the diesel, so finding gas engines can be tough - take it when you find a good one. The higher gears 4.10 will help the 5.4 a lot, but probably aren't as important with the V10 .

If you are going to tow a lot, get one with the integrated trailer brake controller (another reason to go '05+)

One final point - there is almost ZERO difference between a 250 and 350. Everything on the trucks are the same with the exception that they put a 4" spacer block under the rear leafs on the 350 and a 2" on the 250, so the 350 can use a bit more of the springs. Other than that there is supposedly a different spline count on a drive shaft and then the all important door sticker GVWR as the only other differences. This is also a frequent topic on that forum...

HTH
-Dave

Most that I've read say that 4.30:1 (or the 4.10:1) gears should be had even with the V10 for towing over about 8k - 9k lbs or a tall travel trailer.

The poor Excursion never got any of those updates in 05. Ford already knew it was killing it and just kept using the 4R100 tranny and the 2V V10 and the leaf springs in front. They did give it the newer front grill in 05.

I also don't think the integrated brake controller is that big of a deal. Sure, it's nice but a Tekonsha Prodigy works great and can be found for about $50. (That's excatly what I just paid for one off ebay including shipping.)

You should see what gooseneck trailers allow you haul.......

mmmm 5th wheels....
just they eat up bed space...but they handle like a dream since the weight is on top of the axle instead of 5ft behind it....and alllows for a pup trailer since the 1st trailers hitch doesn't counter-sway the truck's turning direction....

Last edited:
When my little Ford Ranger got run over by a road grader I picked up a used state work truck, 1995 F350 4x4 crew cab with 90K miles for $3,000. This is one of the most awesome vehicles I have had the pleasure to use. Without adding panels to the sides I couldn't get enough wood in it to make it feel like it was working :)

The key is to watch for state/municipal auctions - their work trucks tend to get retired long before they need to (just look it over carefully before bidding).

My next truck is something like this:

http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySection/6x6 Trucks/31.html

For some reason my wife just doesn't see the beauty in it as much as I do.

If my research is right, 2001 was the first year for the GM 6.0L and it does have some good trailer towing specs with the standard 4.10 gears.

HTH
-Dave

Again, if my research is right, with the increased hp and torque of the 5.4L in 2005, Ford also increased the trailer towing specs.

Kevin

For GM, the 6.0 gas came out in the 1999 model year on the GMT-800 platform (1999- early 2007 model years). The 1999 and 2000 with the 6.0 were the 2500 (not the 2500HD). The 2500 is has a GVW of 8600lbs.

In 2001 model year, the HD series came out so you could get a 1500HD, 2500HD or 3500 with the 6.0. The 2500 was still around as well (I had a 2002). The 2500HD upped the GVW to 9200 lbs.

In the 2500HD and 3500 series trucks, you can also get a 8.1L gas with the Allison tranny (auto) or ZF6 (6 speed manual). There is also the Duramax Diesel with the Allison or ZF6.

Rear gears for the above trucks are 3.73 or 4.10s.

The current body style started in the middle of the 2007 model year under the GMT-900 platform. There is no 1500HD or 2500. The 2500HD and 3500 only have the 6.0 gas or 6.6 Duramax for engines.

Hope this helps. I'm a GM man and have owned a decent variety of the GMT-800 trucks. I don't know much about Dodge, but I'm sure there are some on this site that can help with info there if you are interested.

Last edited:
For GM, the 6.0 gas came out in the 1999 model year on the GTM-800 platform (1999- early 2007 model years). The 1999 and 2000 with the 6.0 were the 2500 (not the 2500HD). The 2500 is has a GVW of 8600lbs.

In 2001 model year, the HD series came out so you could get a 1500HD, 2500HD or 3500 with the 6.0. The 2500 was still around as well (I had a 2002). The 2500HD upped the GVW to 9200 lbs.

In the 2500HD and 3500 series trucks, you can also get a 8.1L gas with the Allison tranny (auto) or ZF6 (6 speed manual). There is also the Duramax Diesel with the Allison or ZF6.

The current body style started in the middle of the 2007 model year under the GMT-900 platform. There is no 1500HD or 2500. The 2500HD and 3500 only have the 6.0 gas or 6.6 Duramax for engines.

Hope this helps. I'm a GM man and have owned a decent variety of the GMT-800 trucks. I don't know much about Dodge, but I'm sure there are some on this site that can help with info there if you are interested.

Thanks for clearing it up for me and correcting my post about when the 6.0L came out.

Kevin

I have a cousin that has well over 200K miles on his 03 F250. And has never had a problem pulling anything he hooked up to. The only problem that I know of with them. Is on the early 4.6, 5.4, v10 heads had issues with spitting out spark plugs. On later models I don't think its an issue.

My opinion on Heavy duty trucks is to buy the bigest you can afford. I personaly would never by a 3/4 ton. Cause most likely you will try towing the same loads as a one ton and be on the edge of being legal. So just find a 1-ton and be done with it. If your looking for used trucks there are tons of used deisels out there. I'd sugest finding a 96-03 F350 7.3l powerstroke. There try'd and true and you can't go wrong with them. 6.0's have a bad wrap but for the most part they are an exclent engine. And more people have not had any problems with them than those who did. Mines an 04 w/160K miles and am just starting to have my first issue, bad injectors. Normal problem for any deisel.

I have a cousin that has well over 200K miles on his 03 F250. And has never had a problem pulling anything he hooked up to. The only problem that I know of with them. Is on the early 4.6, 5.4, v10 heads had issues with spitting out spark plugs. On later models I don't think its an issue.

My opinion on Heavy duty trucks is to buy the bigest you can afford. I personaly would never by a 3/4 ton. Cause most likely you will try towing the same loads as a one ton and be on the edge of being legal. So just find a 1-ton and be done with it. If your looking for used trucks there are tons of used deisels out there. I'd sugest finding a 96-03 F350 7.3l powerstroke. There try'd (They're tried) and true and you can't go wrong with them. 6.0's have a bad wrap but for the most part they are an exclent engine. And more people have not had any problems with them than those who did. Mines an 04 w/160K miles and am just starting to have my first issue, bad injectors. Normal problem for any deisel.

Well, I would hope there are more without problems than with. :monkey:

The fact is that there are MANY, MANY 6 leakers, er I mean 6 litres that have problems. Many more so than any other super duty engine. The dealerships love that engine. It keeps their diesel mechs employed. lol

For GM, the 6.0 gas came out in the 1999 model year on the GMT-800 platform (1999- early 2007 model years). The 1999 and 2000 with the 6.0 were the 2500 (not the 2500HD). The 2500 is has a GVW of 8600lbs.

Do you have an online source for the GM trailer towing and payload specs for the different models and configurations of the HD trucks from 2001 and up? I've found the info I am looking for on the Fords and Dodges, but have very little specific info on the GM's.

Kevin

I've got an 03 superduty with the 5.4 and 6 speed, I wouldn't mind alittle more power, but it's not bad, my previous pickup was an 88 f150 with 5.0 and the new one blows it away. It's all about what you expect your truck to be able to do. I love speed and power, but that is what mustangs are for, but they don't haul much wood.

I've got an 03 superduty with the 5.4 and 6 speed, I wouldn't mind alittle more power, but it's not bad, my previous pickup was an 88 f150 with 5.0 and the new one blows it away. It's all about what you expect your truck to be able to do. I love speed and power, but that is what mustangs are for, but they don't haul much wood.

I'm assuming you have the F250. What gears? 4x4 or 2wd? Regular cab, sc or cc? What do you pull with it? Sorry for all the questions...I'm an information junky when I'm doing research :).

Kevin

Back