Forestry or Horticulture???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Roland

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Im sure this has come up before my time here. Im curious about your direction [AS pros] and the road map that got you there. I went with Horticulture instead of forestry. The sales reps are forestry men. A good complement to the team.

How many of you are hort. tree men?

How many forestry?

How many "school of hard knocks"?

:popcorn:

There's
A
MAP???
JEEZ!

I took a two year Urban arboriculture program at a Community college. Pretty crappy program, thinking back on it. The climbing workshops were the best aspect, but man there were a lot of dropouts when we went past 30'. The for profit college couldn't have that, so the lamers had to be coddled along.

There were too many useless project assignments that seemed scrambled together to keep the class size up. One in particular: "Show your design for construction of an 8 foot square street-tree planter." I turned in a single page that listed the names and addresses of three companies that manufacture planters, complete with price lists and a cryptic comment about not re-inventing the wheel. C-

There was a worthy assignment to collect twig and branch section samples from 25 specific indigenous species. So my assignment comes in glued to thick art stock, arrows showing various identification landmarks such as pith, stipules, bud arrangements and so forth, covered everything the project called for. A couple of girls and a fag who had (by then) opted out of the climbing course turned in a museum quality project they rolled in on wheels with laquered oak framing, brass hinges and clasps showcasing their samples on padded green felt under glass. I got another C.

Then there was the day our field instructor showed us how to fell a tree. Dead pine, in a woodlot, 20" dbh. He says how he wants it to go right there, because it will cause the least damage to neighboring trees and that that is the most important factor. It had the tiniest lean that way, but was backweighted all wrong, and the wind was against him. I pointed this out to him, should put a rope in, but he says I'm wrong. Sure enough his saw gets pinched on the backcut, he struggles with it for ten minutes before I go to my truck and get him some wedges and a sledge. But the backweight is fighting him now and he can't put the wedges in deep enough before they hit his stuck bar. So I made another trip to my truck and get my chainsaw and make a shallow notch above his cut, fell the tree and rescue his saw. My efforts strip off the side of an Acer negundo, crappy little weed tree, he made a big deal about it infront of the class but quietly gave me an A on my field work.

Then there was the unscheduled three hour rant session where the prof and several of the students failing the field portion wanted the teams that were climbing well broken up and reformed so that the weak would be coached by the strong. It was true, the good climbers had teamed up to leave the weak behind. So I looked at my climbing partner Willy, gave a shrug, he shrugged back, I stood up and said, "I'll take Sharon." Willy leaned back in his chair and said, "I'll take Sharon as well."

Well then the whole thing blew up into a sexist scandal, with schreeching feminists calling in the college admin to give us all gender sensitivity awareness training. Will was expelled, and I was on a thread, for nothing more that agreeing to help out a stuggling climber with nice tits.

Sharon never did get up a tree past 30', but I have gender sensitivity absolutely pouring out of my ass, so it was never a problem.

The start of the second year was much better, class was trimmed down to the real tree-workers. We started to do some proper climbing. Competion style: Put the paper cup on a spot the next guy can't get. Stuff like that. We were having a good time.

The prof also had weekend jobs that the students did, I was on several of them, it was real work, no pay, prof was making out easily on these jobs, but the experience was worth it.

Then there was a weekend job that I was not on. I had other shifts that I was working.

Jeremy was killed when he was dragged off a limb by bad rigging. Or he cut his own line without a backup, or both, no one is saying and there is a shroud of silence. The prof went into hiding due to grief, or guilt and the rest of the year was handled by his assistant and, well, me.

The college mothballed the program for a few years, but have run it sporadically since then.

RedlineIt

I got a 4 yr degree from Southern Illinois in forest resource management, got a summer job with Davey and learned the arboriculture stuff mostly OTJ. Finished a MS 19 years later and have been teaching in a community college for the past 16 (out of 40). The two year grads are finding some awesome jobs, compared to what I was getting 40 years ago. Most are out earning me. Also some programs, such as my one year diploma program are largely online. Really limits the time it takes to go to school.

However you get your education, remember that it is continuing education that keeps you up to date with the changes in the industry, both in tree care and customer relations.

Hello there professor. I hope the classes @ the International Peace Garden were a success.

After my hort. technology degree I went to the Bartlett Tree Experts Lab Facility in Charlotte, N.C. to learn how to scout for and treat pest/pathology in the field. Mr. Eldon LeBruan, research assistant, was my immediate super.
Dr. Freidrich, Dr. Booth, and the soil scientist Dr. Tom Smiley all contributed to my passion for the industry.

Can u believe we went to college for the honor to climb trees in 100 degree weather for substandard pay? :laugh:

Living the American Dream.

Wouldn't really say "hard knocks" for me. Spent many years being taught by some excellent treemen-guys who had been doing it for 30+ years, guys who would blow my mind at some of the things they could do. But no official "book-learning" of any kind. All otj training-and still learning every day.

hort

I got an associates in landscape development and a bachelor sin plant science, so I guess I am more hort oriented. Good stuff to know, I think that forestry is great as well, but if you work on someones res. property then nobody cares about forest managment or silvicxulture. Urban forestry is a good degree to have, I know alot of UMass guys who def know thier ????..

hort degree from University of Arkansas - Whooo Pig Sooie! However, I am now an urban forester, so both? they didn't have urban forestry at the time and still don't. going into horticulture I never would have thought urban forestry. I like it a lot though.

BTW... You will never lead a Hor-to-culture! .

The way I heard it, you can, but you cannot make him or her think! :jester:

I took as many hort as forestry courses but no degree in either; not relevant to my career. Hort is an aspect that arborists would do well to get into; caring for tree associates can b efun and profitable--and good for the trees!

In music, the blues merged with country to form rock and roll.
I look at hort and forestry the same way, forming arboriculture.

How many forestry?

All of the above!

Studied turfgrass at Umass, then worked for a tree co for about 7 years, then back to school for Arboriculture. BTW in this profession you need to be in the field for a while to appreciate the book learning aspect, IMHO.

Agree w/ OTG

For me, it was Landscape Operations (AS), then go to work for a while. Decided that landscraping was kind of dull, throwing chainsaws around while dangling on ropes was where it was at. Went back for Urban Forestry (BS). Yep, I'm one of those UMass Urban Forestry guys, learned a lot there, wouldn't brag too much about knowing my ???? at this point though. Bunch of hard knocks in there too, goes with the territory.

:givebeer:

Im sure this has come up before my time here. Im curious about your direction [AS pros] and the road map that got you there. I went with Horticulture instead of forestry. The sales reps are forestry men. A good complement to the team.

How many forestry?

sales reps for who? and what, me and my pals went arboriculture and urban forestry we do hang with some hort chicks and forestry guys though

Forest Resource Management at SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry. Self taught climber and all the other good stuff. Got into climbing competing in collegiate timbersports. 2005 National champs!

BComm from Royal Military College of Canada here. If I had to do it all over again I would have taken a forestry degree somewhere other than U of T.
Not quite sure how that might have fitted in with ROTP and a military career, but if I could turn the clock back to 1977....

So now I collect and dispose of Shell Albian Sands' junk and surplus. Actually a pretty darn good job as I get out of the office a lot and learn everyday.

I took ornamental horticulture in high school. and got an aas degree in urban forestry:chainsawguy:
now I do it all as a groundskeeper for a school

B.S. in forestry from Rutgers University. Much of the knowledge I gained doesn't get used a whole lot now, but some classes, like Dendrology, Field Ecology, & Silviculture formed a great base for my arboricultural knowledge.

Latest posts

Back