Found a mother load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johncinco

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I heard stories like this, but it never happened to me. Until today! Walked into a collector/gatherer/fixer upper who decided enough was enough and was selling off a bunch of saws. Everything from David Bradleys to Macs to homelites. Some need tinkering, some are better off in boxes. Some need fresh gas only! Keeping about 10 for myself, selling off the rest to help pay for the find. I have some ads in the saws for sale area. Had em all hanging from the rafters of the barn and stacked around like cord wood. I didn't take em all, between already having too many saws, running low on cash, and not knowing what I could actually sell off I was hesitant to load up to much. There wasnt a stihl in the whole place, guess it never caught his eye. I woulda liked to find a ole 090 for sure! He also had a ton of manuals and repair books, I was so busy checkin it all out I never even got around to trying to buy some of those.
Didnt have a camera with me at all.... Wasnt really planning on making a find like this.

heck ya. feed the addiction. It is always nice to find a saw that is better than expect, not the other way around. Hopefully you can have some fun, learn something and make some money. That is what my goals are, in that order too.

glad to hear you lucked out too bad about the ones that you left behind and the manuals but you have to draw the line somewhere. I have a feeling you will go back and take a second look lol.

We had a long long time in business small engine place close its doors a few years back. They had a blow out on all stock that was on the shelves, but would not discount any Stihls or Husky items but did lesser items like Poulan and Echo's etc. OUt back they had a pile of chainsaws, another pile of trimmers, a pile of blowers etc etc. Each type of typical item was in its own "pile" The mountainof saws and small engines like Tecumseh and Briggs was astronomical. I asked about buying some of the items and was told it was going to be sold off as a lot........I figured, no way would a pile of "scrap" cost much more over actual scrap value.......and thats what it went for.......They loaded up all the stuff with a skid steer loader, into trucks and hauled it off. I went to the scrap yard to see if I could pick through the items as they were dumped and was told no, according to terms of sale they bought it for that further salvage from the stuff was not to be. It was sickening seeing those items get trashed.......and yes there was lots of good name saws with lots of good parts on them. You would think that after all those years of ripping of the public with high repair and sales prices that the owner that sold the "scrap" would not be so darn crazy in assuring no one else got anything that was his without paying "him" for it. .right down to the final end of things.......Now years later none of the remaining dealers in this region will even sell a single scraped item to anyone.,Its new or nothing from them. They smash things up before its scraped just to make sure some scrounger inthe scrap yards like me does not find it. One dealer uses a log splitter to bust small engined items up....Pityfull.

The ads have been "approved" and are up now. 5 saws.

Yeah, they used to scrap out all the super bikes from the famous racers. Made the engineers and mechanics cry having to smash up and crush machines they spent so much time and energy and love putting together. Now they sell, if you can ever find one, for $25,000. Hard to understand the thought process sometimes. What difference would it make if a lot of old saws and parts made it out to the marketplace? Is a guy going to use an old saw for a regular basis, replacing a new one for his firewood or tree business? He is still going to have a newer good saw to work with, and have the old saw on the shelf for collecting, repair parts, and the occasional start up and rip through a log or two just for fun.

yeah, I am already planning a trip back with a "shopping list" :clap:

Back