found a new use for the wood stove today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
i am putting a ms170 back together,, i went to do the MM on it so i could put it back on,, well it was full of oil and carbon so was the screen,, i was scratching my head to figure out how to clean then good since i don't have torches,, i had the wood stove going good so i figure what the heck,, i set the muffler and screen in the coals and in a few seconds both went up in flames,, gave them about 5 minutes and pulled them out,, both nice and clean
figured i would be nice and share :D:D

You don't need a torch, a Jet Flame Lighter works well for cleaning screens.
I would have been tempted to chuck the whole ms 170 in the wood fire :D

wait a minute now,, don't throw it in the fire place,, send it my way i need parts for mine:D:D

Dont dont do that the way i see it the 170 wont even make good firewood.lol

since he called the 170's.... I can take any 017, 018, or 180's you guys dont need! :)

i am putting a ms170 back together,, i went to do the MM on it so i could put it back on,, well it was full of oil and carbon so was the screen,, i was scratching my head to figure out how to clean then good since i don't have torches,, i had the wood stove going good so i figure what the heck,, i set the muffler and screen in the coals and in a few seconds both went up in flames,, gave them about 5 minutes and pulled them out,, both nice and clean
figured i would be nice and share :D:D

That's excellent. I love "at-home engineering". My story isn't saw related, rather stove related. Last week when Sandy the wh*re took our power, I used the wood stove and grill tongs to fire english muffins for the kids. Went over well enough that my wife wanted an oak-fired muffin too :msp_biggrin:

I have a jug on top of the stove right now, the inside is bathing in some acid:D

Nice thing about saws when camping is that you can scrape out all that oiled up saw dust inside the clutch cover and it makes a great long burning fire starter for getting your campfire going.

On a side note, but not uncompletely related, I find that the best way to get a fire raging in about 15 seconds is to crack a vent and unleash the compressor on it.

TOTALLY unrelated to the thread ........ my apologies!!!!

o8f150 ......... that little guy on your signature .......... gets me every time. One thing which makes me smile. Thank you.

On a side note, but not uncompletely related, I find that the best way to get a fire raging in about 15 seconds is to crack a vent and unleash the compressor on it.

i have in the past open the door all the way up and put a box fan in front of the door,, gets it going pretty fast

i have in the past open the door all the way up and put a box fan in front of the door,, gets it going pretty fast

That is also an excellent way to remove all the creosote from the chimney.

i am putting a ms170 back together,, i went to do the MM on it so i could put it back on,,

So did you source an adjustable carb for the 170 since the stock one is non-adjustable? If you MM it without tweaking the carb you risk running it too lean.

So did you source an adjustable carb for the 170 since the stock one is non-adjustable? If you MM it without tweaking the carb you risk running it too lean.

the one on it had a low side adj,,, i had a wt215 in my stock pile,, it is on it now

Back