Fran's bar modification thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There seem to be small bars with open ended slots that just about need to be given away on Ebay at various times. I have done a few but this one is a 14 tooth nose 1/4 inch pitch 80 drive link.

Not sure how necessary it is to weld up the end but I am doing it here. Making the slot long enough for a clutch cover with plastic piece to locate into the slot forward of the forward bar stud.

Making the slot with a vertical mill and a 5/16 end mill. Just a bit at a time the way I do it not sure what would happen if I did it all in one pass. I did not move the table front/back and had to file for about 5 minutes each later so if you do this just a couple thousands of an inch wider should be remembered. I measured the finished one and it was so close but I must have had widened it up last time.

Drilling the hole for the adjuster, the oil hole has been created though doesn't show too well. This was the second one and the spot welds are not exactly in the same place. This hole was too close to a spot weld perhaps you can see how the metal pushed up and it is worse on the bottom quite possibly ruined the little starter drill/bit.

Attachments

• P1010102.JPG
    P1010102.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 42
  • P1010103.JPG
    P1010103.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 46
  • P1010104.JPG
    P1010104.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 42
Back