Free Craftsman 16" chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anysawpat

anysawpat

Make chips
Got a free craftsman 16 saw today, would not start. Checked the gas, yep full of oil. dumped out the oil put a little gas in it, dumped it then put some more in it pushed the bulb 8-9 times started up with a lot of smoke but then cleared right up. Seems to run fine. Score!craftsman chainsaw 024.JPG craftsman chainsaw 025.JPG

Attachments

• craftsman chainsaw 026.JPG
    craftsman chainsaw 026.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 10
anysawpat

anysawpat

Make chips
Yep free is good, typical oil in the wrong tank, I have seen this a few times in the past. Guess I will clean a spot on the shed shelf for it.

anysawpat

anysawpat

Make chips
Just for fun today I thought I would use the Craftsman to clean up some brush and thin out the small saplings out back. It started right up and seemed OK so I ran it for a while. It stalls after a few seconds after full throttle and coming back to idle. I thought maybe a carb adjustment but the stupid carb has tapered splined carb screws. So I tried a plastic pen body it worked a little but not good. So I ran down to the local parts store but they will not sell the splined screw driver to me wtf. So I put it aside and finished with the Husqvarna 136. Guess I have to pull the screws out of the carb and slot them for a screw driver.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
Just for fun today I thought I would use the Craftsman to clean up some brush and thin out the small saplings out back. It started right up and seemed OK so I ran it for a while. It stalls after a few seconds after full throttle and coming back to idle. I thought maybe a carb adjustment but the stupid carb has tapered splined carb screws. So I tried a plastic pen body it worked a little but not good. So I ran down to the local parts store but they will not sell the splined screw driver to me wtf. So I put it aside and finished with the Husqvarna 136. Guess I have to pull the screws out of the carb and slot them for a screw driver.

Do you have an electrical connector parts box? You can use a flat spade connector. slide the round end on the screw, use the spade part for a flat screwdriver.

or slot the screws, your choice.

or, buy it online before they disappear and epa starts sending out mraps and swat teams to nail emissions scofflaws...****

Poulan Weedeater Part # 530035560 Carb Adjusting Tool

try that in google it will work

****@$^&^$@@!##$ idiots! Won't let you adjust your saw correctly so it actually works, but they will let one million small engines a year toast from running too lean, then they have to be replaced. Which causes more air pollution? Idiots, no actually, they know exactly what they are doing, which is taking over every single aspect of our lives, they are just totalitarian bastiges. Feudal overlords.

Close off fireroads so that what used to be a hundred acre wildfire now gets to 100,000 acres because the crews can't get to it. They close off the roads to protect the endangered three eyed flying newt, desert tortoise, spotted owl, whatever, which *burns up* in the wildfires.

Two chinese ships carrying over containers of cheap crap running on bunker fuel cause more air pollution. but oh noes, can't adjust your saws any more.....

redfin

redfin

Fish & Chips!!!
Small fuel line works also for the splined screws. My local small engine guy said there may be one "laying in the parking lot" that's how I got my tool.

Its amazing how tight the man is on these engine shop owners about selling those tools.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
Small fuel line works also for the splined screws. My local small engine guy said there may be one "laying in the parking lot" that's how I got my tool.

Its amazing how tight the man is on these engine shop owners about selling those tools.

That is probably one of the reasons they are going to autotune and mtronic, because they know their ridiculous limiting efforts can be easily countered. Not so much with closed source proprietary software and chips..although those are most likely hackable as well. Sorta surpirsed no one here has done it yet..although it probably has happened, just whomever did it ain't talkin'..don't blame them either. I mean..it just doesn't look all that complicated.

Me, I am rooting for better battery saws. Better batts (every year getting *much* better) and more powerful saws. I want something that can run a 20 inch bar using regular 3/8ths chain. It's coming, just have to be patient. My oregon is 3/8ths lopro on a 14 now..so..it'll happen, maybe not too far in the future either. I think that is a better solution over their computer carbed efforts, if they want to go high tech, for a decent at least home owner/small personal firewood saw. Need that 20....need that full 3/8ths....

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
****@$^&^$@@!##$ idiots! Won't let you adjust your saw correctly so it actually works, but they will let one million small engines a year toast from running too lean, then they have to be replaced. Which causes more air pollution? Idiots, no actually, they know exactly what they are doing, which is taking over every single aspect of our lives, they are just totalitarian bastiges. Feudal overlords.

Close off fireroads so that what used to be a hundred acre wildfire now gets to 100,000 acres because the crews can't get to it. They close off the roads to protect the endangered three eyed flying newt, desert tortoise, spotted owl, whatever, which *burns up* in the wildfires.

Two chinese ships carrying over containers of cheap crap running on bunker fuel cause more air pollution. but oh noes, can't adjust your saws any more.....
Nice tirade, but you are confusing the requirement with the solution. The requirement is "make a saw that meets these limits". So the manufacturer submits a product, but if there are adjustment screws on the side then how does the manufacturer assure that the stuff they sell performs like the stuff they submitted? The special screws was the solution the manufacturers designed, along with other wonderful ideas like packing the adjustments with epoxy. Eventually they came up with better approaches like feedback carbs.

So yeah, the govt does a lot of dumb things, but OPE 2-strokes have produced absolutely incredible amounts of emissions due to scavenging losses and terrible carburetors. It was not unreasonable to require the manufacturers to do better, and in fact they were able to do much better, and now we have saws that perform better and pollute less.