STIHL MS261C chainsaw and TruFuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anybody have trouble running TruFuel in these?

Had one that would not start. Tried the ‘usual’ methods. Then, due to a remark from a dealer, I dumped out the ’pink’ , 50:1 TruFuel, and filled it with STIHL 50:1 MotoMix.

Started right up.

We’ve used TruFuel ($20/gallon)for years. And, after the saw was warmed up, it ran fine on TruFuel.

Something with auto tune, that it prefers MotoMix ($30/gallon)?

I still mix ethanol-free pump gas on personal saws ($5/gallon).

Philbert

Had one that would not start. Tried the ‘usual’ methods. Then, due to a remark from a dealer, I dumped out the ’pink’ , 50:1 TruFuel, and filled it with STIHL 50:1 MotoMix.

Started right up.

We’ve used TruFuel ($20/gallon)for years. And, after the saw was warmed up, it ran fine on TruFuel.

Philbert
I am not terribly surprised to hear this. I have seen saws run funky on Moto-Mix in cold weather. Basically non-m-tronic saws wouldn't idle. I suspect that these fuels don't volatilize as well as regular gasoline. I have had to re-tune saws that were going to be run only on canned fuel.

According to my petroleum engineer friend these start out with 100% isooctane (100 octane) and then add diluents to get the octane back down to what is advertised on the can. These diluents are other hydrocarbons such as butane. I suspect that the differences that you are seeing between Tru-Fuel and Moto-Mix are due to different diluents that have different vapor pressures.

It seems to lose some of it’s volatility. Any brand.
It resists ign (lighting). But runs ok once started.
Some leave a waxy residue.
Not a fan of any of them. Cost is ridiculous.

Yes it is more expensive as pump fuel, but in my opinion much better. For example, I can store a saw with this alcylate fuel for 1 year and it will start up right back in a few pulls and runs. And yes saw or clearing saws have to be tuned for it, but it is not a big deal if you know how to do. As a professional here doing landscape or foresty work, you have to use it and of course biodegradeable oil, too. There is no choice. And it is good that it is like this. Pump fuel often gave me a terrible headache after some time. Using this alcylate fuel can also cause a headache, but it will take much longer. Of course drinking enough is the most importand thing to prevent this, if possible. Does not always work.

I’ve run several canned fuels and trufuel is the one I liked the least. Saws I ran it in didn’t run quite right even after adjusting the carb. I’ve had people come into my shop with starting and running issues with trufuel as well.

Follow Up

Thank you all for your input.

I watched and read a number of Internet postings. Talked to some people. And spent quite a bit of time on the phone with a technical rep from TruFuel (they also make some other brands).

He said that, in general:

- these products do NOT absorb water, as they contain no ethanol;

- they do NOT break down as quickly as automotive gas, as they don’t contain the same additives;

- but, they CAN (no pun intended) lose some of their lighter, more volatile components, if the caps are left off, or loosely sealed.

This would explain why the cold saws would not start on some older fuel, but would run on it when warm (I don’t know the history of each can we have).

The 2-year ‘open shelf life’ is based on a can that is tightly closed after each use. Towards the end of this year, the cans will start coming with a tamper-evident ‘quality seal’, so you will know it is fresh.

Philbert

Started right up.

Philbert

I suspect it would have run fine on fresh TruFuel as well.

I've run TruFuel for years now, zero issues. I am approaching when I need to rotate some of the cans, though. Will probably see how it burns in the truck.
With pump gas for the saw, snow thrower, etc., I dispose of the older stuff in the car’s gas tank: mix it in with a close to full tank.

Had some really old fuel that came with a used chainsaw, fuel can, etc. That stuff went to the hazardous waste site, along with some paint and other things.

Philbert

Any of the guys using canned fuel... Is non ethanol pump gas really that hard to get? I'm in NW Florida and non ethanol is at 1 of 3 gas stations. 91 & 93 octane with their own nozzle and hose so you are not getting whatever is left in there before you get your $5+ real fuel. Ethanol is crap!

With pump gas for the saw, snow thrower, etc., I dispose of the older stuff in the car’s gas tank: mix it in with a close to full tank.

Had some really old fuel that came with a used chainsaw, fuel can, etc. That stuff went to the hazardous waste site, along with some paint and other things.

Philbert

I do the same with fuel that needs to be rotated, though usually in my truck. It has lower compression than my car, which I'm guessing makes it less picky about fuel, and the bigger tank means it's diluted more.

The OLD stuff I'll leave in an open coffee can to evaporate off. Any residue left over after evaporating for a couple weeks goes in the waste oil jugs, to be disposed of the next time I'm dropping off waste oil at the recycling center.

Back when I ran a $5 gas lawnmower, I'd burn anything in it. These days I'm not burning anything questionable, too easy to cause lots of problems that would make me wish I'd just tossed the garbage and bought fresh fuel.

I like VP canned fuel always ran good for me.

A 5 gallon can will last me about two weeks. Now, that is not me trying to cut something. I generally pour out whatever fuel is in a saw or whatever and look at it. Then fill it back up with the VP.
Hell, I get them with diesel, raw gas, even kerosene, much less half water and dirt.

If it won't run on the VP then it is not a fuel issue.

Any of the guys using canned fuel... Is non ethanol pump gas really that hard to get? I'm in NW Florida and non ethanol is at 1 of 3 gas stations. 91 & 93 octane with their own nozzle and hose so you are not getting whatever is left in there before you get your $5+ real fuel. Ethanol is crap!
In my personal saws, I run non-ethanol pump fuel, and a quality 2-cycle mix.

Some of the volunteer groups I work with use the canned fuel:

- to avoid potential mixing mistakes and fuel problems; and

- for extended shelf life in s response trailer.

Philbert

This was the issue that started this thread. I never had a problem with any of the canned, pre-mixed fuels, and was surprised/ confused when it happened.

Philbert

Sorry. I don't know the difference between Tru-Fuel or VP, or the Stihl labeled pre mix.

I can't see any reason why it would not run on any of them if fresh. Not sure why the saw would care.

So, I'm no help.

I read somewhere (maybe on here but then maybe not) that Tru-Fuel had a blending issue with some of it and it wasn't any good. I don't use it so I cannot comment. I prefer syn fuel (Red Armor) because my saws sit for long periods of no use and I've had issues in the past with e-gas and bottled oil.

Haven't had to run them dry since I switched and that includes my straight shaft Stihl FS66 which might get run a couple times in the summer, maybe. I'm not big into weed wacking, I'm more into Roundup Ultra Max 5.

According to a friend who runs a small engine shop locally he has seen a rash of tru fuel and moto mix issues. He said it is so bad he now asks what fuel is used and before the customer leaves he shakes the equipment and dumps the fuel and puts fresh mix in then tries to start the engine. He claims 75% of the time the saw/edger/blower/trimmer/hedge clippers start up and run great after revving a few times to clear the rest of the old fuel. We think its from cans sitting in warehouses and on store shelfs for 1+ year then people buy it and use some saving some for later. Well when later comes the fuel is no longer viable less than a year after opening, he said customers were claiming in as little as 3 months. I think the can caps no longer re seal fully and when stored in garages, sheds or barns where temps can easily reach 120 degrees they vent the volatiles.

Back