STIHL MS261C chainsaw and TruFuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 5 gallon can will last me about two weeks. Now, that is not me trying to cut something. I generally pour out whatever fuel is in a saw or whatever and look at it. Then fill it back up with the VP.
Hell, I get them with diesel, raw gas, even kerosene, much less half water and dirt.

If it won't run on the VP then it is not a fuel issue.
I just run it when having trouble in the heat or for winterizing.

A lot of comments on forums,YouTube, etc. Sometimes it is hard to separate trash talk and rumors about different brands, etc.

I don’t doubt that there are differences between brands. But we had used TruFuel for many years without any fuel related problems. That’s why I wanted to understand, including if it could be related to auto-tune issues.

What the technical rep discussed makes sense to me. There can always be ‘a bad batch’, but, based on my previous experience, I’m willing to keep using it (as well as some of the other brands).

But I won’t rule out ‘bad fuel’ when dealing with a ‘no-start’ issue, and canned fuel.

Philbert

When I decided to switch to canned fuel, my criteria was:

Alkylate, not distillate. My understanding is that alkylate is more stable, although I'm as far from expert as it gets. VP is distillate, I think, so they were off my list.

Jaso FD oil - Stihl was off my list.

As much oil as possible, richer than 50:1.

Lastly, as cheap as I could find, provided it met the above criteria.

TruFuel 40:1 hit the mark. I'll glance around again when I replace what I have on hand.

Edumacate me please?

I heard that STIHL MotoMix uses STIHL synthetic 2-cycle oil; Husqvarna uses their oil; etc.

Still learning how different petroleum fuels differ.

Thanks.

Philbert

Again, not an expert, but according to the Wikipedia article, alkylate fuel starts as isobutane, is put through a chemical reaction to add some bits to the molecule, and makes a much more homogenous chemical than the soup that gasoline usually is. Very stable, very high octane. The synthetic motor oil of fuels. 100LL avgas is alkylate.

Distillation is fractionated heating of the dead dino squeezings that comes out of the ground in a tower, and siphoning off the parts that settle at just the right temperature, and then mixed in the right proportions and with the right combo of 11 herbs and spices to match the end use. This is pump gas, other than the ethanol. Even E0 goes bad relatively quickly.

The alkylate starts off much closer to what's needed, so less blending and less additives are needed to get the final product right.

The great search for fuel that will "last forever". Does not exist, never did. Read any owners manual. Pump fuel is good for 90 days Does not mater what kind. Does ethanol attract water? Yes.
Does non ethanol make water in the can? Yes. It is called condensation.
Will canned fuel last better? In a tightly sealed can from a fresh batch, yes. Sitting in a 2 cycle equipment, no!
Use your fuel within 90 days. Clean out the fuel can before mixing a fresh batch. Water in fuel is the biggest issue I find in the shop. Well over 50%. Especially in homeowner use equipment.
There is no substitute for fresh mixed fuel.
Yes, I see just as mush water in non ethanol pump fuel as I do in ethanol fuel.
Ask yourself how is it stored at the station and how long is it in their tank?
Fresh fuel. Period.

Water in fuel is the biggest issue I find in the shop. Well over 50%. Especially in homeowner use equipment.

That's why I go through 5 gallons of VP every couple of weeks. If the complaint is running issue I just dump the fuel before I do anything else. If it looks funny I save some of it in a glass jar.

In the meantime, full time operators who don't read forums come in every day and fill up their saws, blowers, weedeaters, with plain old 10% ethanol pump gas and some Itaska and run the **** out of their stuff for years.
None of the arborists I deal with on knives or chain loops use canned gas as well. Always e-10 and bottled oil. The canned gas impacts their bottom line too much.

Been running regular 87 EO for years and will continue. Canned fuel is good for storage but i would not run it daily seems like a insane waste of money or just keep enough around after using e10 you can run a little in something then store it.

Been running regular 87 EO for years and will continue. Canned fuel is good for storage but i would not run it daily seems like a insane waste of money or just keep enough around after using e10 you can run a little in something then store it.
In my situation, canned fuel works fine as I don't consume that much as a rule. Pre canned fuel, I just 'dried' my saws out and left the fuel caps slightly open when stored for a long period. I do keep all my 2 stroke engines in a climate controlled shop anyway.

Again, keyword is "daily". If I used my equipment daily, I'd run ethanol fuel and not worry about it.

Latest posts

Back