Free, new to me 024 AV super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95z28m6

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So my mom and her fiance are planning to move in the future and are slowly consolidating stuff. They asked if I'd be interested in an old Stihl chainsaw he had that was "medium sized". Figuring it was a cheap home model I put it off till today. I went to look at it and shocking to me it was a 024AV super. Free. Brought it home and took the covers off and it was very clean inside. I drained the gas, pulled the plug, gave a shot of oil in the cylinder as it's been sitting for 15 years before I cranked it. Fresh gas, 3 pulls and she fired right up. A little tuning and shes running good...did I mention, free? Lol

On that note, it has a 7 tooth sprocket on it and a 18" green .325 chain. I'm going down to a 16" light bar most likely as I already have a 12" ms192 and a 20" ms362. What is the best chain sprocket combo for this saw? I'll def be getting a yellow chain since I really like them on my 362. I was thinking a 3/8 16" with a rapid super chain....oh and I'm in north east Pennsylvania with mostly red and white oak, maple and shag hickory.

Attachments

• 20180801_174732.jpg
    20180801_174732.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 20180801_174727.jpg
    20180801_174727.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 20180801_174752.jpg
    20180801_174752.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
7 pin with 3/8 LoPro (Picco) . That's what I'm running on my MS241 which I guess is a newer version of the 024. Just the 024 has the 3003 bar mount. That being said, Picco bars for 3003 get pricey, so I would stay 325 with it. The 024 makes around 2.7-2.8 hp if I remember right, so you dont want it pulling a full .375" chain.

Thank you guys. Excuse my shotty memory, but "full chisel" with no skip is a rapid super, correct? So 7 tooth, 16" light bar with a .325 rapid super is the go to setup. Just so I'm clear with the dealer because I assume they wont have the light bar in stock.

Also after some run time the idle got a little erratic. Pulled the carb and the screen was gunked up. So now I need a diaphragm and gasket to get it back together since they sat for 15 years. The rest of the carb was super clean, testament to the gas back then not having the high ethanol content. If I let something sit a year now I have the carb apart.

As said, 16” in .325. Picco will make you even happier, but it’s not available in the USA. A Canadian buddy can get you a setup.

FWIW, you saw can be easily converted to 026 specs by sanding down the top two rear fins on the cylinder, installing the P&C and adding a WT194 carb. Do a small muffler mod, and the difference in power will be very noticeable.

Thank you guys. Excuse my shotty memory, but "full chisel" with no skip is a rapid super, correct? So 7 tooth, 16" light bar with a .325 rapid super is the go to setup. Just so I'm clear with the dealer because I assume they wont have the light bar in stock.

Also after some run time the idle got a little erratic. Pulled the carb and the screen was gunked up. So now I need a diaphragm and gasket to get it back together since they sat for 15 years. The rest of the carb was super clean, testament to the gas back then not having the high ethanol content. If I let something sit a year now I have the carb apart.

Unless you're always cutting nice clean wood, I'd use the RM semi chisel chain. Saves you on sharpening so often. The difference in cutting speed is negligible.

Thanks everyone. I picked up a carb kit. 16" regular bar (didnt realize how expensive the lights were) and a .325, .063 rapid super chain. Should have her together tonight after work.

Last month I made a mistake. I sold my last 024 AV to a neighbor. Great little saw, I was running a 16" bar, 325 chain, and full chisel. It had no problems handling that. One of my friends has one and he pulls a 20" bar with it. I've told him to scale it down, but he insists and won't listen to my advice. Heck, I won't even install a 20" bar on my 026 PRO.

The only squawk I have ever heard about the 024 AV is that a new air filter for one costs an arm and a leg. Hard to find, I suppose, and many Stihl dealers can't seem to stock them either.
How true is that,, i live in Australia and paid $35 for one from our still shop and he didn't have them in stock,, so a two week wait.

Back