free non running ms 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncsawguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Someone gave me a ms290. he told me that he had it looked at said cylinder was gone. but never took of muffler. but anyway it hold about 145lbs on the compression tester. it runs for a couple sec. I think the carb just need to be rebuilt or the boot needs to be replaced. might need an ipl any one have any suggestions. it was a pretty clean saw. thanks for your info.

Someone gave me a ms290. he told me that he had it looked at said cylinder was gone. but never took of muffler. but anyway it hold about 145lbs on the compression tester. it runs for a couple sec. I think the carb just need to be rebuilt or the boot needs to be replaced. might need an ipl any one have any suggestions. it was a pretty clean saw. thanks for your info.

Dude..friend..If someone gave you a saw..and said it had been 'looked at'... that should tell you it's a POS.

Why are you posting about it before YOU pull the muffler and look inside...then you'll know.

If cylinder and the piston looks good...yeah, maybe a carb re-build and boot replace...but I think you have bigger problems..??

145 lbs..( who did this test )..?? If it is that...then the cylinder should clean up if you are willing to do all the tear-down on a MS290.

I'll pass...as the saw is tooo heavy for it's power...not good resale value...and just a PITA to tear down - But good luck to you..!!

J2F

well the people who looked at it sketchy. what should the compression be? not my thing but just trying to help friend that's all.

well the people who looked at it sketchy. what should the compression be? not my thing but just trying to help friend that's all.

Well...you see that is the problem...that being the compression is just fine for say...a several year old saw.

That's why I asked who did the test..?? In other words...something(s) is just not adding up correctly here.

If we're talking about you helping a buddy out on a saw that you have no real interest in..."color me gone".

J2F

he was going to throw it away. I told him I will take it. the guy who looked at it told him the piston is scored and cost around 200 to fix. he never took off muffler and he was a dealer. so if I can fix it with minimal cost I will. twenty bucks is nothing for a friend who would drop what he is doing to come help you if you asked him too.

thank you jughead. that's next. Im going to try carb kit next there was trash in carb. I asked my friend how could the guy tell if cylinder was scored or not if he didn't take off muffler.

I've got an MS390 (same saw, just bigger cc) I got in a trade. Had to put another crankshaft, bearings, seals, rings into it. Did a muffler mod to it and it runs GREAT. About $50 in the whole saw. One of my favorite firewood cutters.

thank you jughead. that's next. Im going to try carb kit next there was trash in carb. I asked my friend how could the guy tell if cylinder was scored or not if he didn't take off muffler.

Through the spark plug hole..

Before I bought a carb kit, I would pull the muffler. It only takes 2 minutes and you may save yourself some money on a carb kit (and put it towards a long block 290 kit ).

Pull the spark plug, shine a good light in the hole and you will be able to see any scoring on the exhaust side. Scoring will look like discolored vertical streaking.

thank you sir. the saw hadn't been abused. everything was pretty clean. carb kit first he said it sat awhile. less than 10 bucks

For real, take the muffler off for inspection. You want to do a muffler clean and mod anyway, right? Visual inspection with a good light will tell the tale.

For real, take the muffler off for inspection. You want to do a muffler clean and mod anyway, right? Visual inspection with a good light will tell the tale.

X2.. Dont buy anything you don't need. It's a free saw. Keep it simple and cheap.

Your gonna take 20 minutes to clean and rebuild a carb that may not need it.

Take 2 minutes and remove the muffler.

It will be a different saw with a simple muffler mod.check the spark screen to make sure its not plugged.

By the way OP, the resale value on the MS290 is very strong. It's a very popular saw. they cost $400+ new. I got $225 for the last two I sold and the next one I list will probably be for more. (looks matters).

By the way OP, the resale value on the MS290 is very strong. It's a very popular saw. they cost $400+ new. I got $225 for the last two I sold and the next one I list will probably be for more. (looks matters).
I sold mine for $200 and it was well used.

Latest posts

Back