Free Stihl 056 Magnum II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to work on a guys computer today and when I left he gave me this saw. I cleaned the dirt dobber nests out, cleaned the air filter, and it started right up. Runs and idles perfect. I sawed some with it, but I can't put enough heat on it without dogs to really see what it's got. No more often than I need a big saw I may sell my MS660 and keep this hog. Not sure I'm stout enough to use it much.
Are there any parts I should buy as spares? Does it take the same dogs as later saws?

Last edited:
man you suck, well not realy its just that i want project saw very badly

thanks for postin the pic

I hope that can of starting fluid you have sitting there, was for cleaning the air filter, and not used to start the saw!

Starting 2 cycle equipment with starting fluid is a no no.

Starting 2 cycle equipment with starting fluid=LOTSAJUNK not ZEROJUNK!!!!!!!

:)

I hope that can of starting fluid you have sitting there, was for cleaning the air filter, and not used to start the saw!

You remind me of some old woman sitting looking out the window knitting and worrying about what the neighbor's doing. If I blow one up I'll let you know.

Does it never stop, free saws here, unused saws there, and what kind of saws? The one of two i want and than i quit gathering them,

but enjoy it, nice, beautiful saw!!

Thanks for sharing,

Lex

You remind me of some old woman sitting looking out the window knitting and worrying about what the neighbor's doing. If I blow one up I'll let you know.

I went to work on a guys computer today and when I left he gave me this saw. I cleaned the dirt dobber nests out, cleaned the air filter, and it started right up. Runs and idles perfect. I sawed some with it, but I can't put enough heat on it without dogs to really see what it's got. No more often than I need a big saw I may sell my MS660 and keep this hog. Not sure I'm stout enough to use it much.
Are there any parts I should buy as spares? Does it take the same dogs as later saws?

Ok since you have that attitude.. Might want to go ahead and pick up a new Piston and cylinder for it.You know as a spare.. As well as a Coil those saws are known for electronic issues.

FREE:jawdrop: Good for you man!

And I got called a theif for my 20 buck saw!

I hope your not using that roll of packing tape I see on your bench to fix your saw with.... duct tape is much better. LOL All messy cluttered up work bench saw pictures will no longer be allowed on AS. Starting Fluid is the best wasp killer that you can buy, until your neighbor turns you in for making dope.... I even had the either drenched wasp nest to prove it.

Last edited:
"Ok since you have that attitude.. Might want to go ahead and pick up a new Piston and cylinder for it.You know as a spare.. As well as a Coil those saws are known for electronic issues."

Starting Fluid may have made P/C toast but the ignition on a MagII is SEM not Bosch so should be okay (Ether fumes may have melted the insulation though). Also storing the can that close to a saw will make it dependent in time. Diesels get addicted real quick!

:)

FYI This was intended as constructive criticism, not sarcastic criticism!
If you had any idea of the number of chainsaws or 2 cycle OPE cylinders & pistons I have repaired, from the misuse of starting fluid it would make your head swim. By your replies you must have an unlimited supply of P/C's for 056Stihls.
Quite a few members here would give anything to have that saw.

Now that is a fine SmartA**:censored: remark!

The risks invloved with starting fluid have been well known since they invented the stuff. He comes in here with his red and bold like he discovered the wheel or something. He didn't.

No I didn't invent the wheel, but I have been trying to keep it turning freely for many many years.

Now I know you are a pompous arrogant **shole!

"Remember everyone likes a little A**:censored: but no one likes a SmartA**:censored:".

BEAM ME UP SCOTTY AZLOGGER OVER & OUT.

:stupid: :buttkick:

In case you didn't know, bold print is considered shouting. I don't know what the red means.

If you want to give constuctive criticism then try doing it in a way that doesn't piss off the recipient.

I doubt there is anybody on this board that doesn't know the hazards of ether. A little dab will do you. I've been using it in for 40 years and I may yet ruin something. But, it's slow a comin.

This is my stance on ether. If a engine regardless if it is diesel,or gas a two stroke or a four stroke needs ether to start it needs repair. Everything I have will start on its own with out the help of ether, because all ether is for is just to get by.

Sometimes starting fluid is useful to get an old unused saw to kick over and suck out the lump of snot blocking the carb.

I use ether to see if an engine has the capabilty to run. I dont load the thing up and hope to bend a rod. I just give it a little whiff. I do agree about an engine needing attention if you need it to start on a regular basis.:cheers:

Back