Free Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, man....here's the ad she put on craigslist.

http://york.craigslist.org/zip/876731343.html

Lots of 'effort' went into that ad....it's sure to generate some responses, eh? LOL! Notice that the cherry is not mentioned now, only locust and 1 'pin oak'. No mention whatsoever of anything regarding what she is looking for exactly.

Did someone score on the cherry, or did Trish decide to keep it for now?

Anyways, good luck with that ad.

#### for brains, treeco told me to do it AFTER I was getting no luck on the site. REALLY mind your own business.

From Trish's initial description of the trees, i.e. "healthy" and "too big to manage".....it sounds like they are so big and close to the house that Trish is now afraid of them and wants them gone. Otherwise, why remove them in the first place if they are mature and healthy?

I'm about 45 minutes from Trish, and would like to mill some decent oak and cherry, but don't have insurance for my hobby. If the trees were down safely, or could be without a lot of worry in this litigous society, I would be there this weekend. I know the area, and its just east of Rt 83 and just south of Market Street/Rt 462 which is old Rt 30. Its a residential neighborhood, and I doubt that any of the lots are much more than 1/2 acre.

I bought a mill so as to be able to salvage some really good stuff instead of just cutting firewood.

I'm going to try to get pictures up. I don't have neighbors in the back. If you're really interested send me a pm I'll get the pics to you. I've got this a$$hole who likes to chime in all the time.

#### for brains, treeco told me to do it AFTER I was getting no luck on the site. REALLY mind your own business.

Nice attitude. LOL! Whoever does the job will be seeing that shining side of Trish when they leave divots and tire tracks on her lawn, and mash a few shrubs and flowers by accident, which inevitable occurs every time. Thanks for reinforcing my first impression.

And to show I'm not against doing something for 'free', I'll rewrite a proper craigslist ad for you. (By the way, a photo or two to go with the ad speaks volumes in getting responses.)

----craigslist ad------

Free Millable Lumber (title)

(message body)
Free Millable Lumber to anyone with proper tools and experience to fall and remove safely. 3 or 4 standing locusts, 1 pin oak, and 1 cherry tree, all healthy and mature @ approx. 75' tall.

Call xxx-xxx-xxxx for more details or to arrange a time to view the project.

-----------------

Just edit the old ad using the email link they sent you, and inset the new one, or delete the old one and start completely over with a new ad.

See. Even a-holes such as myself do things for 'free' :)

MIKE, my new best friend! They're beautiful. And what will they become? I'm telling you floors. I'm hot on this cherry floor idea.

I happen to love cherry wood, and think it makes great floors. It is not as hard as some other hardwood, or even some softwoods like SYP (southern yellow pine) which happens to be all of the flooring in my 100 year old house, but still hard enough for floors. Just be aware if you're not already that cherry turns pretty dark over time, especially when exposed to direct Sunlight as some flooring would. It's nice and pink right off the saw... darkens quite a bit after an oil or most finishes are put on, and then slowly darkens with age. I've seen aged cherry wood almost as dark as black walnut. The commercial cherry flooring you buy usually is stained darker to begin with and also has UV inhibitors etc to keep it from getting to dark to quickly, but eventually it's going to be a darker floor than you put down. As for making cherry flooring from wood milled from your own trees, the sad fact is you can probably buy it much cheaper than make it from scratch. Milling the wood, drying it properly, then planing that rough lumber to thickness and ripping to width to get those rough boards to S4S lumber and then putting a tongue and groove on all of it is a lot of work requiring a woodshop full of expensive cast iron toys. I've made tongue and groove flooring in my woodshop from scratch using rough lumber and it's not all that difficult, just a lot of work. Then if you do it right you will need to finish that wood correctly, and with flooring that's not cheap either. Flooring takes a beating, and needs the right stuff on it or it will look like a barn floor in short order. Not trying to put a wrench in anybodies fan, just saying making your own flooring from scratch has some challenges.

I am really surprised at the responses that some of you have posted, not quite what I would have expected to see here of all places.

That said: I think I can be neutral in that I am 3,000 miles away.

If the trees are standing they would remain standing because I am not a faller I am a sawmill operator. I do not have the tools, knowledge or desire to fall hazard trees. That is a job for a tree service.

Free is never free. I do not barter milling for wood as I eat enough wood as it is. Sorry to say Trish but I would have to charge you to remove these logs the same as a tree service would charge you to cut them into firewood and to remove them.

If the logs are on the ground and I can get the mill to them then I would consider milling them depending on the quality of the logs. It sounds like everyone agrees that the trees are in an older neighbor hood so it is likely that the size and quality would be good. I would have you sign my five-page service contract before any milling would begin. I would tarp the entire area before setting up the mill and remove all lumber, edgings, and sawdust if you so desired.

If you wanted flooring cut out of your Cherry tree I would cut it on an hourly rate and recommend that you take it to a kiln to have it dried, then take it to someone who presses flooring, then have a professional install it and finish it. It may cost more in the end. However, you will always know that it came from the tree in your backyard.

Now everyone take a deep breath and play nice.

Wow...this was some interesting reading this morning!
Backwoods very good post!
My synical side says that goblin is probably right on target...
I'm waiting now to see the craigslist posting of :
3 locusts, 1 pin oak for free...must also drop three cherry trees mill them and install them as my new home flooring.

If I googled the correct address there should be open fields and a soccer field to the rear (east) of your house due to the school property. (If you are on that side of the street?)

It might be a nice open area to drop the trees. Would like to see pictures as I am not very far away either.

Exactly, exactly and exactly. A couple of excellent posts there explaining exactly just what is involved, why, and why 'free' is never free...or easy.

Heck, if it was free and easy, then everyone would have floors milled from their own trees, and houses built from their own milled lumber. They don't, and for good reason.....it's cheaper when all is said and done to simply buy the stuff you need down at Home Depot. (And you get a 'warranty' with your flooring down at home depot, which you don't get when you make your own flooring and lumber.) That is the sad reality of it, and why the majority of perfectly good, millable trees from people's yards just get chopped up into firewood and burned.

Last edited:
Nice attitude. LOL! Whoever does the job will be seeing that shining side of Trish when they leave divots and tire tracks on her lawn, and mash a few shrubs and flowers by accident, which inevitable occurs every time. Thanks for reinforcing my first impression.

No I'm just this cuddly with you. You'd make a nun punch a dog.

I think at this point I just love insulting you. You won't go away so you must like it. It's not like you've helped me out or anything. And you continue to make assumptions not having all the facts.

This is like a car crash noone can look away from.

I happen to love cherry wood, and think it makes great floors. It is not as hard as some other hardwood, or even some softwoods like SYP (southern yellow pine) which happens to be all of the flooring in my 100 year old house, but still hard enough for floors. Just be aware if you're not already that cherry turns pretty dark over time, especially when exposed to direct Sunlight as some flooring would. It's nice and pink right off the saw... darkens quite a bit after an oil or most finishes are put on, and then slowly darkens with age. I've seen aged cherry wood almost as dark as black walnut. The commercial cherry flooring you buy usually is stained darker to begin with and also has UV inhibitors etc to keep it from getting to dark to quickly, but eventually it's going to be a darker floor than you put down. As for making cherry flooring from wood milled from your own trees, the sad fact is you can probably buy it much cheaper than make it from scratch. Milling the wood, drying it properly, then planing that rough lumber to thickness and ripping to width to get those rough boards to S4S lumber and then putting a tongue and groove on all of it is a lot of work requiring a woodshop full of expensive cast iron toys. I've made tongue and groove flooring in my woodshop from scratch using rough lumber and it's not all that difficult, just a lot of work. Then if you do it right you will need to finish that wood correctly, and with flooring that's not cheap either. Flooring takes a beating, and needs the right stuff on it or it will look like a barn floor in short order. Not trying to put a wrench in anybodies fan, just saying making your own flooring from scratch has some challenges.

That's why you're the pro. BUT after all that is it worth it. I would think so. If you want highend you have to pay for if. One way or another. Sweat equity or $

If I googled the correct address there should be open fields and a soccer field to the rear (east) of your house due to the school property. (If you are on that side of the street?)

It might be a nice open area to drop the trees. Would like to see pictures as I am not very far away either.

This is alittle creepy. Let's try not to go too far and just pop by.

don't mean to be creepy, just used google and was trying to get an idea of what we're getting into. I pm'd you but didn't hear anything back.

would like to see pictures though.

sorry for the creepy part, just meant that I would be interested in them if they were easy to drop and easy to load.

Last edited:
I am really surprised at the responses that some of you have posted, not quite what I would have expected to see here of all places.

That said: I think I can be neutral in that I am 3,000 miles away.

If the trees are standing they would remain standing because I am not a faller I am a sawmill operator. I do not have the tools, knowledge or desire to fall hazard trees. That is a job for a tree service.

If you're just tunning in. I decided to offer the tree to someone who may want to use them for something. I've had tree services remove 5 tree in the past, we've dropped 9 ourselves over the last 6 years. The oak is beautiful and straight, very tall. I got the idea it could be used for more then chips and firewood. Which is the fate of our previous trees. Then I thought to make it worth someones time and effort I would add in the locust in the back. I heard from the neighbor that they were very hard and good for burning. All of this is huge aggrevasion. Once the trees are removed we will be replacing most if not all of them. This was a rental home for 20 years and all of the landscape was let to run wild.

don't mean to be creepy, just used google and was trying to get an idea of what we're getting into. I pm'd you but didn't hear anything back.

would like to see pictures though.

sorry for the creepy part.

Sorry you have'nt heard back. I'm trying to keep up. I still have 2 babies who expect food and dry diapers. Yes I want to get pictures up. I don't want anyone to take this on without all the information. It would be too dangerous for you to jump in without the proper equipment and a waiste of your time to come back out again.

Love google earth. I think our house has been updated since that satellight picture was taken. But you've got the right idea. My neighbor had some trees dropped by a tree service and one or more is still out there on the ground.

Wow...this was some interesting reading this morning!
Backwoods very good post!
My synical side says that goblin is probably right on target...
I'm waiting now to see the craigslist posting of :
3 locusts, 1 pin oak for free...must also drop three cherry trees mill them and install them as my new home flooring.

I want to say something nice to you, but I must prefice it by saying don't take his side. lol.

I'm going to read into your profile that there's some service in you or your families past. Thank you for that! Being a former New Yorker and living through 9/11. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! All my brothers are NYPD and responded that morning and my father and brother walked home from Wall Street that day as well. Having lived through it and not having to live through it again. It's because of your sacrifice. God Bless

No I'm just this cuddly with you. You'd make a nun punch a dog.

I think at this point I just love insulting you. You won't go away so you must like it. It's not like you've helped me out or anything. And you continue to make assumptions not having all the facts.

This is like a car crash noone can look away from.

Well, let's hope you're not punching the diapered ones, eh?

"Facts"? LOL!

The fact is, if the trees are mature and healthy, then why remove them at all? They add shade and cool air in the summer, and frost, wind, rain and snow protection in the winter. They add value to your property.

Except that you're apparently afraid of them because they're big, so you want them gone.....for free. And you also want new kitchen floors out of the cherry, which, while a nice thought, requires much "aggravation" (as you put it) to accomplish.

Excuse me though....I initially thought that you wanted the truth about what you were asking. You didn't like the truth though, so you turned to insults instead. And when you were given assistance (with the craigslist suggestion), your response was to put up a halfazz craigslist ad that looked like a 5-year-old had posted it. Then you continue to cast about and call anyone that dares to tell you otherwise 'names'.

And to top it off, you have the gall to call a guy "creepy" for simply attempting to do his homework on the internet and find out as much as he can about the job beforehand, because getting real information from you about the trees and where they are in relation to their surroundings is like trying to squeeze water from a rock.

You've got a lot of nerve. The truth isn't always what you want it to be. And what you apparently want (i.e. the trees removed and a pile of cherry flooring sitting outside your kitchen) is not going to happen without ponying up some serious cash, like $5000 for starters. It certainly won't be "free", "easy" or without "aggravation".

Those are the plain facts of the matter. Do with them what you like. I thought you came here to learn something, but apparently you didn't.

Last edited:
Well, let's hope you're not punching the diapered ones, eh?

"Facts"? LOL!

The fact is, if the trees are mature and healthy, then why remove them at all? They add shade and cool air in the summer, and frost, wind, rain and snow protection in the winter. They add value to your property.

Except that you're apparently afraid of them because they're big, so you want them gone.....for free. And you also want new kitchen floors out of the cherry, which, while a nice thought, requires much "aggravation" (as you put it) to accomplish.

Excuse me though....I initially thought that you wanted the truth about what you were asking. You didn't like the truth though, so you turned to insults instead. And when you were given assistance (with the craigslist suggestion), your response was to put up a halfazz craigslist ad that looked like a 5-year-old had posted it. Then you continue to cast about and call anyone that dares to tell you otherwise 'names'.

And to top it off, you have the gall to call a guy "creepy" for simply attempting to do his homework on the internet and find out as much as he can about the job beforehand, because getting real information from you about the trees and where they are in relation to their surroundings is like trying to squeeze water from a rock.

You've got a lot of nerve. The truth isn't always what you want it to be. And what you apparently want (i.e. the trees removed and a pile of cherry flooring sitting outside your kitchen) is not going to happen without ponying up some serious cash, like $5000 for starters. It certainly won't be "free", "easy" or without "aggravation".

Those are the plain facts of the matter. Do with them what you like. I thought you came here to learn something, but apparently you didn't.

Noone thinks you add anything of value. Bitter pill. Spin things how you will you don't know what you're talking about as it pertains to my situation. Pulls bits and pieces of serveral conversations you just spread misinformation.

Noone thinks you add anything of value. Bitter pill. Spin things how you will you don't know what you're talking about as it pertains to my situation. Pulls bits and pieces of serveral conversations you just spread misinformation.

LOL! Feel free to correct me where I'm "misinformed".

The trees are "mature and healthy" ....your words. So why remove them unless they're too big and scare you? The mess they make? Well, welcome to the suburbs, where things aren't always neat and clean like they are in NYC :rolleyes: Nature is messy. (PS: Those little animals that live in your trees? Those aren't rats, those are squirrels, and they're supposed to be there. They eat acorns and bury them in your nice neat yard too to make new trees....foreign concept I know. You'll also meet mr raccoon and mr possum too, especially if you don't have tight lids on your garbage cans, and maybe have deer that visit you and eat all of your pretty roses too. Anyways....I digress.....

Why not post some photos of the trees so everyone can see where they are in relation to the house and other structures, and how accessible they are or aren't? It takes all of 5-10 minutes with a digital camera to accomplish that. But you're too busy instead calling everyone names here who doesn't buy into your 'free and easy' scenario.

Admit it....your craigslist ad was a joke, and that's being kind. That isn't my fault or anyone else's fault.....that's your fault. Period.

As for the "creepy" thing.....again, if you posted some photos or a drawing or anything that gave someone a potential clue as to what to expect, rather than expecting them instead to drive there at their own expense from lord knows where to 'take a look' is again indicative of your overall attitude....you want everyone else to absorb the costs, rather than expend a little effort yourself to match the job with the proper person to do it. The guy is just trying to find out what to expect before driving 45 minutes to see landlocked trees leaning over your house.

These aren't "spin" or "misinformation", but rather they're the facts as clearly as I can glean them from the little information that you're giving out. But feel free to prove me wrong.....post some photos that show those trees aren't right next to your house, and your back yard (where the trees probably are) isn't difficult to access. At least then we'd be getting somewhere on what this job entails in order to drop and remove the trees. PLease.

Thank you for your kind words...I'm very proud of the time I've spent in the service and have no qualms w/ putting it on the line for this country.

Might be cliche but a picture is worth a thousand words...some real advice and possibly some assistance w/ these trees could be provided w/ a few photo's.
Have to say kinda interesting coming back to this thread 8 hours later ... prove me wrong please....not sure I like agreeing w/ Goblin. Unfortunately, the way this whole thing reads...he's spot on to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back