Free wood South Central PA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brik

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all - Six trees need to come down. Measured one, its 36" or so at about chest height. All about same size. All White Oak I think but I'm not sure. 2 of the 6 certainly have metal in them. No metal, I suspect, in upper sections so even in trees with metal there will be significant good wood. I do not have a metal detector, I only know there is metal because I see a wire sticking out where power line was strung back when electricity was still a novelty.

I am hiring out the initial felling, once they are on the ground they can be yours for either slabbing, lumber or firewood. All I ask is you leave a little behind (some firewood or boards or a piece of slab) and help with the cleanup.

If I cant get anyone who wants this stuff it will be carted into the woods and left to rot. What a shame.

Date of felling and cleanup is yet TBD. Will be before 10/20 and likely on a Saturday.

Anyone interested?
PM me or respond here for more details.

Oh Brother Where Art Thou? What town are you closest to, I would be glad to help if I can.
Outside of Dillsburg, just off Rt 15 and 74.

PM me your email address and I'll send you more details when I have them.

Free Logs

The six trees are down!
One was a monster, about 4' at base, red oak. Had rot in the center all the way to base. There appears to be significant wood in good condition. Would make good firewood at least.

One, as noted, had metal and significant staining in the lower part of the log. Currently the lower section is about 38-40" at the base and cut to about 16' waiting to go away. The next 16' section had a few limbs but no staining. Didn't measure it. White Oak. 238 rings.

Another, about 36" at base, had one small stain in stump and is cut into two 16' sections with no limbs. White Oak.

Another about 38" at base, had rot in upper section but no rot or staining in lower 16', no limbs, clear. White Oak

Other two are Oaks. I didn't look at them closely but of similar size (36" plus). Trunks cut, at the moment, to 16' sections.

Plenty of firewood from the limbs on the ground too.

I have no heavy equipment on site to load the logs or limb wood.

Let me know if you want any of this stuff. Likely Saturday October 20th will be the best time for pickup.

Outside of Dillsburg, just off Rt 15 and 74.

PM me your email address and I'll send you more details when I have them.

VERY tempting, lots of white oak, you're only couple hours away... but can't really spare the weekend now. If this was in July or August I'd be out there to help you out and bring back some oak. Timing is everything :cheers:

Some really bad news about some of that white oak, fellas. Some of it has been relocated!:)

Here are a few pics from today. The last pic shows some staining, but the woodstove isn't particular enough to notice. Hope to get it split in the next few weeks to start seasoning over the winter.

The trailer is about 10' long x 6' wide. The sides are approx 2' tall.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
NIce load, that red oak looks like it might've milled up nice. It'll keep you warm a few more times though. :greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Thanks, Brik. Hope get back at least a couple more times this week.

If you get back, and have a few moments, go check out the two log bridges I built this summer.

Walk down the hill from where you got the wood, down the path and into a large field. As you look into the field from near the pavilion you will see an entrance into the woods at about your 11 o'clock. Enter the woods there and make a left, following the creek for about 50 feet. You will see the first bridge, cross it and continue to the second bridge about 50 feet further.

The concrete piers were from a "carriage way" that brought people to the campground in the late 1800s from a train that stopped at the end of that path. We just had the property surveyed and as a result discovered the remains of the carriage way. I'm calling it a carriage way because thats how its described in an 1887 deed.

DSCN0501.JPG

DSCN0502.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/Briktoo/Bridge/photo#5103549776697234450
http://picasaweb.google.com/Briktoo/Bridge/photo#5103549871186514978

NIce load, that red oak looks like it might've milled up nice. It'll keep you warm a few more times though. :greenchainsaw: :cheers:

I know I don't do so well with tree id on line, but this sure looks like a White Oak. Here's a photo of the leaves.

attachment.php

Had to cancel service work today so went back to Brick's place today. My son was sick, so I packed some snacks, liquids, and an emergency bucket. Ended up needing the snacks first, then the Gatorade, and finally the bucket! He then took a nap, and I finished loading the trailer. He was a pretty good sport about the whole thing.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Brik,
I did't see your post about the bridges until after I got home today.

Really nice job. If the rain holds off, I'm hoping to get back one more time this week.

Following are some pics of a tree that looks like the Red Oak family.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
1st trunk is gone!

Got to cut a little at Brik's again today. 1st big log is gone, now on to this Red Oak. Here are some pics from today. This particular log would have made some fine milling, I'm sure!

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks!!!

PA Plumber has done the campground a great service in taking all the wood he did. Thanks a lot, we appreciate it! Lots of BTUs went into his several trailer loads. I'm a little sad that no one wanted to mill some of this stuff but there is a lot left. I'll be on site on this weekend if anyone wants to swing by to take a peek at whats left. PM me or reply here.

Latest posts

Back