Freebie Husky 350

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WPAJohnnyRotten

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was given a three year old Husky 350 with an 18" bar from an old friend of mine. He bought it new, put maybe 10 hours on it using it to de-limb and firewood duty. As the story goes the muffler came loose and melted a hole the size of a quarter in the oil tank and melted the lock handle off as well. His dealer told him he would be better off getting a new saw.....anyway he gave it to me, i dumped the old mix out put fresh mix with a little extra oil in and it started on two pulls. i jb welded the oil tank and it doesent leak(Only if i flip the saw upside down does it leak). after my backyard repairs i used it over two weekends, dropped a number of trees and cut up a whole lot of brush, im happy with my new to me saw and plan to use it at work as a backup light duty ground saw. Long story short im searching for an oil tank and cant find one, can anyone help me track one down? Would it be worth it to fix? or should i just let it be and use and abuse it? any help would be great thanks
-John

Aint worth the hassle IMO. Unless you can find a donor saw that isnt burnt up like the one you already have.
If it runs and doesnt leak 95% of the time.....just run it. It doesnt owe you anything.....it was free.
Keep an eye on the muffler bolts, the 350's are known to puke em out.
The intake/partition clamp is a known airleak weakness as well.

I think I would leave it.

I believe the oil tank replacement would include the house for the bottom of the engine. Meaning you would have tear it down all the way to replace it. I think I would just keep it as it is maybe try to add more jbweld to fix what leak you have. If you keep your eye on fleabay, you can sometimes fine them for around $70. I just rebuild my 345 and I believe the are very closely the same built. Hope this helps you.

Run it as-is if you can, or find a 353 or 346xp in need of a top end and swap the parts over.

I don't know much about these, but if all the 350's use the same oil tank set up I believe a friend of mine has a spare. If you're interested I can give him a buzz. I think he has a 345 and a 350 but I would have to verify

There are so many options with that saw. 340,345,350 all use the same carcass. If you can find a dead one of those swap the tope end over. But I agree it doesn't owe you anything just run it until it gives you a reason to fix it. And oh pictures or it didn't happen on here

I wouldn't run it without the brake handle, but I'm clumsy and rely on the brake too much. The chain brake has saved me several times. Look something like this?

not that bad...thats real bad! lol, the exhaust bolt nearest to the bar is stripped, making the muffler cockeyed, it put a hole about the size of a dime or a little bigger. The main contact was on the brake handle, melting it off. Yesterday i took it to work and used it to limb and buck a 15" cherry and to cut up some willow brush and preformed great...anyway i got a small chunk of sheet metal took it all apart and jb welded that over the hole. helicoiled the manifold and put in new hardware with locktight new bar, airfilter and sparkplug and a new brake handle is in the mail...once the season is over im gonna tear it apart and do the tank job but for now its fine:cheers:.........You guys are awesome i thank you for your time and brain power:clap:...thanks! - Johnny

Back