French Prussik

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
I just bought my first 'Sherrill' adjustable lanyard a couple months ago. The splices are excellent! MUCH better than the 3-strand lanyards I've been buying from the local saw shop for 12 years. For $48 (vs $35), my butt is worth every dime! Better quality snaps, too. Many of the guys here splice their own, I've never tried it.

splices

Sherrills makes a few diff. kinds of set-ups.
One Is the Ultra Tech cord and another is a Tenex.
both have certain a 'feel' to them when climbing. I like the ultra tech and sherrills is doing a great job with the splices. the tenex has a lower melting point it will melt when for example decending. Best to use your own judgment. Ask Sherrills yourself on their dis. board here.Ask everyone you can find and try as many as you kind. What works for me may not work for you
Frans

I got the straight length and used fisherman's knots, I use f.p. exclusively now unless I need to double crotch, then it's a Blakes.

To me the swabish and the distal are just slight improvements on the tautline hitch, but if thats what you like, use any rope you have around. Tennex is easy to splice and cheap, or just cut up any 1/2" rope you have laying around.

If it's performance you are looking for, on the other hand, get some ultra tech. Spliced or unspliced both have their advantages. The spliced is clean but you may not like the tapper as it gets into your hitch. The unspliced will require you tie fishermans knots, which isn't as clean but there is no tapper from the splice to deal with. I assume you are tieing an MT or VT or one of the other 30 or 40 different high performance hitches that are out there.
My favorite is an MT with 3 turns and 3 crosses, give or take a cross depending if I tie it to the becket of the micro pulley or not, the length of the cord, and the climbing line thickness. Don't use tennex for these knots.

No disrespect to those of you who haven't tried the new hitches, it took me better than a year from seeing them to climbing on them. Boy, what a difference. Sh!tcan the tautline, blakes, swabish, distal, and micro-acsenders, and gibbs, except for the history books, and to teach the new guys so they don't out climb you. :rolleyes:

Our splicers really appreciate the positive feedback on their splicing. If you have any questions, please feel free to call in and ask to speak to someone in splicing. Brion Toss will be in our booth at the ISA show this year, and our own splicers will be on hand at TCI.
-Sean

treeco

Try the this site, Community-2.webtv/acutabovetree

geofore

Never saw a site address such as "Community-2.webtv/acutabovetree". How does one access this? Thanks!

webtv

Thank you Nick,

I must have been asleep when I posted that address to forget the (net.) Anyway it does have the knots some one was asking about. New ropes take to new knots. I'm trying out a reel of that Samson Blue Streak this week and one of the guys said I should try some new friction knots and that is where I found the pictures.

The old knots work but on a fast drop out of the tree the blakes hitch melts if it is three strand nylon against the Blue Streak so check your ropes often. The rope was fine but the knot made of three strand did melt down. I need to slow down that drop out of the tree.The rope guys said to slow down to less than 15' per second should keep the knot from melting. I'll try it slower in the next tree and let you know.

Gee, what'sa the big hurry, geofore?! 12 miles per hour straght down, that's movin'. Hard on the tree crotch too, if it is preservation work. And, if you're using a friction saver, then that is all the more friction on the knot.

If you really wanna burn out that fast, try a loosened tautline hitch, it works better.

maybe I'll try those speeds whilst in this position........

.......maybe...

the Dodg

hang"n" out

My son and one of his buddies were home for the weekend from the Navy, so they were giving me a hand trimming out a tree. I yelled down,"Give me some slack". I'm backing off a limb and am about 50' off the ground. Well, Jessy gives me some slack and my son thought I said pull me back and gave the line a yank throwing me off the limb out into midair. I was in a position like your pic, only with two lines attached and I was in a hurry to get down to straiten out a wise guy.

Nylon melts at about 275F and the polyester melts at about 470F. I was at about 500F and cooking to get down there and chew him out.

One of the bystanders said I looked like Delta forces dropping out of the sky but I don't think they do it inverted. A few choice words and it was over, I cooled off and went back up and finished trimming. The boy will be home on leave soon and the new Husky came today. He's going to be on the ground cutting firewood for the first few days, away from my ropes.

i have always seen nylon and polyester fibres quoted with the same approximate melting point, and load reduction point. The Art of knotting and splicing shows this to be @480 for each, strength fading @350. On page 13 of the excellent Samson Arborist Rope Manual, they used to send out, but now is available @: http://www.samsonrope.com/catalogs/pdf/ARBORIST.PDF they say about the same. i think it is that dang Polyolefin stuff in some of the cheaper lines (ArborPlex, ArborPlus etc.) is what ya have to watch out for heat, strength wise; melting @320, fading at 200. Though it makes lighter rope, i think it is heavier per working capacity.

Slowing down is probably best in any case, but for speed demons a fig. 8 with gloves might be right. Seeing as a "Friction Saver", reduces the total friction at the anchor point; it will put more friction on the friction hitch, hence more heat. Because per a given load it will take a specific matching brake force to support the load, so if that braking friction is not at the anchor holding ya, it would be in the knot in a standard setup for climber. Often as increased, broken up friction (allows heat to dissipate some between friction points), i let the length of the line run between my feet, and around one. So i am taking some of the friction of my knot. This also kinda keeps a sense of there being more line below me, as well locking them on the line and moving knot down a lil'more makes for some unique leaning angle supports for me for touching things up.

Hey, i work in that position sometimes, playing on if my legs are drawn up, i have more leveraged weight in my chest so can roll upside down, extending them reverses. Kinda makes the hand saw wanna slip out though! Really like the new icon RB-Tree!

Blue Streak/ Gold Streak curiously are 2 ropes that a 16 strand eye splice is rated at 80% efficiency i think, putting it very close to a double bowline i think.

Last edited:
knots

Samson makes a rope that melts early on the tempeture range and I got to see it work. Quick as I let go of the knots I stopped. It only takes a light touch to get them moving. I see so much negative stuff written about this french knot on the mountian climbing and caving boards. My guess is the first thing they do is grab the knot when they slip or they grab the rope above the knot causing it to release. I don't lend my stuff to mountian climbers or splunkers. Let them buy thier own stuff.

I got the Blue Streak for the 8,000 lbs rating.That plasm line is about $3.65 a foot so it is too expensive to test for climbing. It does have it's place though. Spilcing the Blue stuff is different than the three strand for sure. I tie my and splice my own stuff from time to time.

This year I was going to get new equipment with a better safety rating, so this old guy has to learn a lot of new tricks.Knots and splicing are different and I'm trying to find out what works for me. I have one hank of New England Arbor plex left. Don't get any ideas, I'm keeping the saws till they die, but the new Husky came yesterday, my first Husky. If I like it I'll keep it and if I don't I'll give it to the guy next door and he will quit bugging me to fix his Sear's special one more time, again. I tore it down yesterday to see how a husky is made, then put it back together and will fire it up this evening to give it a test run. I can't figure why they don't give you a schematic with the new saw. What if I didn't know how to put back together? A trip to the dealer ? NOT!

When arbos use one of the variations on the FP as a climbing hitch we only load it with half of our weight. The same knot used as an ascending knot will have different characteristics. Our ropes are different than cave/rock/ice climbers too. All of these variables lead to other outcomes.

We're comparing Haralson and Granny Smith apples here.

Tom

Back