Friday plans?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's planned for tomorrow?

• Heck yeah, headed to the woods!

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • Love to, but I'm out of town.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Long weekend my butt, I gotta work.

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • The missus tells me we're going shopping.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • My couch will still need me tomorrow.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I dunno, tomorrow is too far away to plan for.

Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I can stay clear of the women in my house (5 of them at the moment), I hope to clean up my rottening wood piles and salvage and split what I can in the process. Ron

Does calling a guy to deliver 2-1/2 cords of log length count?

Other then that, I'ze got to work. Actually it's usually a productive day since no one is bothering you...but I still wish it was an official company holiday.

I'm working around the edge of the yard cleaning stuff up and have a bunch of difficult trees coming up soon, so my productivity is pretty low. So I'd rather spend a bit of money and get a slug of wood and keep working away at the projects. Do see a Masdam rope puller and accessories at some point this winter once I get the landing zone for a grove of Red Maples cleared out and need to make sure they are encouraged no to fall towards the garage or house service lines -- and once they're out of the way, hoping to put in a small fruit orchard next spring :D

I've been cleaning dead elms out of the yard lately, little guys at 8" and under. They're almost more work than they're worth. Takes half a dozen of em to fill the back of a pickup. One will have to go across the road, no other way to do it, short of dropping 3 or 4 healthy trees in my windbreak. I actually am considering a midnight drop in a snowstorm, no traffic and I can clean off the road with the snowplow. :D I feel your pain.

One will have to go across the road, no other way to do it,

Yeah, sucks where I am now -- one frontage is on a state highway, the other frontage is across from the town recreation park and one of roads that heads to the school complex. Lived a couple other places in town I could've set up barrels across the road, dropped a tree, and re-open without a complaint. (Had a boss once think he was joking, "Yeah, they don't have pavement yet where he lives." Should've seen his face drop when I told him I lived on a dirt road :D, and I did for about 18 of my first 24 years.)

Good poll Steve. I am one of the lucky one that will be heading for the woods. I was out there today too. We had our turkey feast at noon and when my son in law and I were debating whether we would go back out or help clean up we were told by the women to go cut wood and they would clean. :msp_biggrin:

Worked today on my wood pile. Cut,split and stacked. 1 and 1/2 cord .tomorrow hope to get some more done.

couldn't vote-no option for done with fire wood and logging on tomorrow night to read about the procrastinators trying to get done in late Nov. what should have been done by Labor Day, or Columbus Day for them that need a little make up time

my friend has a lift coming so we are dropping some oaks , I cant wait to start cutting

Two dying Ashes and a forlorn Pecan to drop for a farmer friend. Dear season opens next Wednesday, so Saturday I will be dialing in some 100gr 6mm projectiles.

couldn't vote-no option for done with fire wood and logging on tomorrow night to read about the procrastinators trying to get done in late Nov. what should have been done by Labor Day, or Columbus Day for them that need a little make up time

Now 'Booga, you aught to know that it ain't fit for man nor beast to be cuttin, skiddin, buckin, splittin, or stackin when the sun's hot, the lake is cool, and the girls in bikinis are out.

I cut most all winter, and call the poor slobs that cut in the bugs, heat, sweat, etc. the procrastinators. Shoulda been done by the time the ice was off the lake...

Of course, thanks to FAD, I gotta get some all year round, but the bulk of it comes in when it's cold out, there's snow on the ground, and there's a hot stove to warm up by when I'm done. It has been so since the days of my ancestors, and shall continue to be.

Quarter inch of fresh snow on the ground tonight. I'm hoping for a week or two of good-n-cold to freeze the ground well, then a few more inches of skidding snow.

My wood for this year was done by then. I'm working on next years wood now.

Now 'Booga, you aught to know that it ain't fit for man nor beast to be cuttin, skiddin, buckin, splittin, or stackin when the sun's hot, the lake is cool, and the girls in bikinis are out.

I cut most all winter, and call the poor slobs that cut in the bugs, heat, sweat, etc. the procrastinators. Shoulda been done by the time the ice was off the lake...

Of course, thanks to FAD, I gotta get some all year round, but the bulk of it comes in when it's cold out, there's snow on the ground, and there's a hot stove to warm up by when I'm done. It has been so since the days of my ancestors, and shall continue to be.

Quarter inch of fresh snow on the ground tonight. I'm hoping for a week or two of good-n-cold to freeze the ground well, then a few more inches of skidding snow.

Dang Steve, ya took the words right outta my mouth! And fixed 'em so they look better on the screen! I couldn't agree more! Only a desperate man would cut wood in the summer! Well, that's my opinion anyway.

Have a change in plans today though. Too windy to go in the area I want to cut. These trees are just too dead and unstable to be in there with 25 - 35 mph winds. I am sure there will be some tipped over when I get there on Saturday. I cut three trees up yesterday out there that had tipped in the winds since last saturday.

So today I will be spending some quality time with my splitter. And of course, my all time favorite job, stacking firewood:msp_angry:

Ted

My wood for this year was done by then. I'm working on next years wood now.

Me too, stockpiling for future winters. I was done for this winter ... and next ... by the end of May. Even that was a month later than originally planned. Wood I harvest now will be used in a couple of years. Nothing wrong with planning ahead and taking advantage of time when you have it.

Shop day for me, and by "shop" day, I mean MY shop! Needs cleaned bad after working on a couple of paying jobs, the splitter, and cutting deer. Then on to the next project, my wood truck needs new fuel tank straps and filler neck, saws need cleaning and sharpening..........

Help wanted!

Today, I got to buck, split and deliver 2 cord of Oak, split 3 cord of mix, process and deliver 300 bundles, 1 service call and I'm short handed...anybody want a job in Joshua Tree CA? It will be 75 degrees today!

Dude the wood I am doing now is for 3 years from now.geting the pile cleaned up as I have 10 big oaks to clean. Up frome storm damage at my father inlaws. Hell I have already 18 cord cut,split and stacked.

I loaded up a huckleberry pie and some home brew (not mine) and the Barbie Saw and the Used Dog yesterday and cut a little red pickup full of Doug-fir rounds. Then I went up and shared huckleberry pie and 1 home brew with friends. (the rest is for tomorrow) I got home after dark, which isn't hard to do this time of year. I have a little red pickup to unload, and my gym has exercise equipment again.

The wood is from the thinning project and has been on the ground for a year. I brought home two tree's worth.

We'll have our big Thanksgiving tomorrow. I fear driving around shopping areas today. :msp_sad:

It looks like most of the decor stayed on The Barbie Saw.

Headed out to TSC at 5:00 a.m, just to find out this store don't open 'til 6!:angry: Got 3 box traps and headed home. Gonna deliver 600 lbs of potatoes and probably come home and vegitate. Still recuperating from surgery week and a half ago. Hope carb kit comes today so I can work on a saw. Hey chadsailor, got your splitter at TSC for 899? Here they're all 999. Good deal!

My plans are being delayed. I went hunting for a bit this morning out back, and came back to find my truck missing and a buddy's car in it's place. Mildly miffed right now, but I guess that means I can have some AS time while I wait for it to return.

I will be splitting in the morning than taking advantage of the weather and going fishing.

004-14.jpg

003-12.jpg

010-11.jpg

Back