Friday the 13th STRIKES!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildnCrazyGuy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
See my FS36 trimmer thread that everyone was so gracious to get me going again it looks like.
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=70135

So, while I'm finishing up fine tuning the carb, SIEZE! Locked solid! I'm like what the heck? I didn't lean it out, had plenty of 50:1 Stihl ultra in it...

So, I investigate, ended up taking the whole thing apart again. Busted connecting rod. :( And I was having such a good night. I put the carb kit in and didn't think it was going to help anything. I found no junk inside the carb, just replaced a couple of gaskets and filter things and the needle... So before I messed with the fuel lines, I decided to just put it back together and run it. I think it's fixed, well, broke now.

But the good news is... I think it only damaged the rod. Everything else I can see and checked out looks ok. Well, a little damage to the bottom of the piston, but I think it could be used again if I could just find the connecting rod. The IPL shows I need to get a new piston and rod together, so that's what I'll end up having to do likely as I did a quick Google and came up with NATA.

I can't wait until the Stihl dealer opens tomorrow so I can see how much this one is going to cost me.

Quick question for you guys. Can I reuse the rings or just bite the bullet and get those too? I mean my current piston and cylinder are in unbelievable shape, no scoring I can find on either after about 17 years now. Have been running Stihl oil 50:1 since I got it.

I know the first thing in most everybody's mind is why not trash it at this point? Because, when I took it apart and looked inside and only saw I had a piston rod failure and nothing else looked out of whack, why throw it in the dump? I was blown away, (no pun intended), when I installed the carb kit and to my amazement, not only did it look like the leak was gone, but the thing ran just as smooth as the day I bought it. I'm thinking it's still got some life in it and I should bite the bullet and fix it up. Mind you, I'm still getting a new FS90 in the very near future...

Last edited:
$43... Comes with the ring

You might be able to find a complete FS36 for free.. if you get it before a Stihl dealer adds it to his dumpster..

I have one too.I think i bought it new about 14 years ago. If mine broke I would try to fix. Im dreading the day ill have to replace it.

I have plenty of donor pistons I could send you, no charge.

FS36 Pistons and connecting rods? Are they ok shape? Let me know. I might be able to cancel my $60.31 they just had to order for me. I'll pay for shipping if you can find a good one. That'll teach me not to check here before I head off to the dealer. Update, he canceled it for me. So if you have one, let me know and I'll work something out with you. If not, at least I know what it's gonna cost me.

Last edited:
If I get a good running fs36, I usually sell it for $50, or less.

I'll go out and dismember a few, and see if I can find a decent one for you.

Well I finally tore down some trimmers today, and have a good one which I
will pop in the mail in the morn.

Looking at your p.m., I get your username, wild/crazy.
The cylinder wall still had crosshatch, so this is a decent one.

I'd trade gladly , the fire is still going and i'm pretty sure pioneerguy600 may have been evacuated , it seems to be worse in his area but the winds are not as bad today.

Yes I was evacuated on Saturday and got back in Tuesday, missed us narrowly but struck down the lake in the Candy Mountain area taking houses and garages, vehicles etc. It was a bad one. I spent all Friday afternoon on it and was relived around 6.30 pm by the RCMP when they took over road supervision from us. It started less than a hundred yards from where we cut our wood but we were not cutting that day.Winds North West gusting to 85 kmh,too strong for my cutting style, but it drove that fire really quick. Pioneerguy600

Well I finally tore down some trimmers today, and have a good one which I
will pop in the mail in the morn.

Looking at your p.m., I get your username, wild/crazy.
The cylinder wall still had crosshatch, so this is a decent one.

Wanted to let everyone know Fish is da man! I received my little package in the mail on Friday when I got home. I haven't had time to do much but open it up and sure enough, looks like a good one and the right part to hopefully fix my old trimmer. Thanks Fish. Look for my PM shortly.

So, reason I hadn't had much time to mess with it is when I got home on Friday, I had to unload the truck. Remember I said I was going to go ahead and get an FS90R anyway. Well, I didn't. I opted for the FS110R and an HS45 Hedge trimmer and an SH85 sucker upper... AND an MS260 Pro I've been wanting for a while. Finally broke down and did it. Have to hide that one for a bit. I wasn't authorized to purchase it, so I didn't. :help:

I got the edger attachment for my FS110R, so hopefully those days of turning my FS36 up on end are over... When I do get some time to put the FS36 back together, and I will because Fish was so gracious, I'll be asking for a little help. I'm ok with all the parts and pieces, etc., but I'm curious about the grease and piston and bearing and such. Simple stuff, but I've never put one back together before so, might need a little help. Thanks in advance. Oh, and remember to keep the MS260 Pro quiet... shhhhhhhhhh.

Well, IT LIVES! Got it all put back together and set the carb at 1 out on L and H. Seemed to fire right up, then quit. After futzing with it a few minutes, it fired up just fine. Reved it a little and smoke everywhere. Must have inadvertantly flooded it. Don't do that too often... Cleared up then I had to turn it off for the night. Was getting late and didn't want to disturb the neighbors, so I'm hopeful tomorrow I can fine tune it and see what it will do. I've got a natural area I've been keeping away from for when this thing got back running so I can check it out and see if it's back up to the task. Thanks again Fish!

Latest posts

Back