Fridge built in 2022 with R134

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did misunderstand that it was a business, that's an entirely different deal. If you're making money on it, game on. My day job is sales, I get it.
My gig is sales but I buy for scrap value and fix it [and if I can't I get paid scrap]. Plus there's a minute bit of gold recovery involved.

Well after 18 years my Samsung front load washer died . Looking for a new replacement hope this one lasts as long .
get a speedqueen with the egg timer. they are heavy and rated for 25 years. I love mine. I don't need an app from the washer to tell me when my wash is done or 100 useless settings, so I like to go simple. less to fail.

My wife bought a Moffat stove and the repair man was here 3 times under warranty before they gave us our money back. We bought a second stove and it has had every burner die, 1 switch burnt out and the top has warped from heat. [I can now buy burners wholesale through Laser sales]. While you are correct about being able to afford new things, it cost me a day in lost time to sit here and wait for a warranty provider to diag a bad burner and wait 3 weeks for another one to come install it and lose another day.
Well it costs a bunch of money but if you want appliances you can buy American basically never have to buy again look at the American made lines. Refrigerator look at a sub zero. Stove look at wolf dishwasher look at cove. Laundry speed queen.

The last Speed Queen I ever worked on came out of a garbage dump, was built in 1960 and needed a transom.
In the case of the fridge we ordered Nov 2020, waited a year and they discontinued the model, we had no choice but to take what was available. The same as our new car.

Attachments

• IMG_20190701_103921 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190701_103921 (1).jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 0
Don't even get me started on refrigerants. Another gov't cluster @#%! !! 😡

134a works, and R12 worked even better. I backward-converted my Volvos to R12. It's like sitting in a walk-in freezer in the middle of summer. I love it. On 134a, with everything working as it should & the correct charge, it would blow warm every time I stopped. You couldn't put a condenser big enough in that little car to make it work with that refrigerant. If the vehicle was made for that refrigerant, it works great. This one wasn't.

I HIGHLY doubt the refrigerator was overcharged. Manufacturers today - automakers included - put JUST enough refrigerant in to keep the thing alive. The stuff costs money! They're NOT going to give you extra. Trust me on that one! Bought my '07 Silverado 1500 new - in 6 years it was low on refrigerant. Charged it up MY way, and when I sold it a few months ago- 8 years after that recharge - it was still blowing ice cubes.

Everything sucks today. Cars and appliances are no exception. Everything is cheaped out on to the max. That's why when I worked in auto repair and small engines, I was SWAMPED with work. Nothing is built like it used to be. Even cars are becoming throwaway items lately. Appliances are no exception.

If it were me, I'd buy all the fittings online, recharge a new compressor myself, and add cheap 134a to it. It'll work great! Just make sure it's got the correct, and right amount of oil, and it'll live a long life.

Back on to the frig topic, the problem with a lot of these systems are they are glued between the copper lines and the heat exchangers not soldered. Used to be the heat exchangers were copper tubes and aluminum fins but now they are all aluminum which makes connection to copper tubes a dissimilar metal joint.

Thanks, I have scrapped a few and those crimp joints don't seem great. I see they are using O ring quick crimps on HVAC for homes now also.

Don't even get me started on refrigerants. Another gov't cluster @#%! !! 😡
I read a post from an environmental writer that said 1 lb of R134 has the same impact as burning 15 tons of coal or 1 barrel of oil. Whereas Isobutane is less than CO2. That seems a bit extreme, the journal seemed reliable however. In any event I had many Tbirds and Lincolns from the 1970's still holding vacuum. If I recall the R12 had a larger molecule than R134 and the construction of the newer systems was the cause of the ozone issues when the aluminum corroded and leaked. Those old copper condensers were heavy!!!

Back