Frigid weather bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We are the deep freeze right now, daytime temperatures are -25 to -30C. I have had to use the cordless electric to cut overlength wood for the stove and have found that 5-20 motor oil is working very well for bar and chain lube. The chain links and the bar seem to be well oiled, the lack of oil "tack" does not seem to be an issue.
Wondering what anyone else is using, thick viscosity oils just don't work at these temperatures.

Jrhawk9, it's not possible to warm up the oil on an electric saw, and at -30 the bar and chain reach ambiant temps in a hurry when it's brought outside.
I will have to try out ATF, I remember from years back how much easier it pours in these conditions even vs 5-30 oil.

My usual is whatever bar oil I have plus a little kerosene/diesel.

I actually got a little validation for that recently... was looking for grinding angles in the Carlton chain book, and they say to cut bar oil with kerosene or diesel and double the flow rate on the oiler in cold weather.

Regular bar oil and kerosene here. I like being able to vary the amount of kerosene to match the temps.

I keep corded and battery saws, along with bar oil, inside until it's time to cut. But I have not cut in weather that cold. The electrics do not have internal combustion to heat up the oil, and I have had to even thin out 'winter grade' (Husqvarna brand) bar and chain oil with kerosene. Used a small, insulated, beverage 'cooler' to try and keep the batteries warm in my vehicle too!

Philbert

935f04d595615b27d73d2a3a1a9eaa4f.jpg

This seems to work for cold temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad somebody else mentioned using a "cooler" to keep things warm. I had friends laugh at me for suggesting this, I resisted the temptation to call them idiots and remind them that a cooler is just an insulated box.
I think putting some equipment into a big cooler with a hand warmer when I have to work outside in the middle of winter is a great idea, especially tools that are truly miserable to handle when they are at Sub-Zero temps.

So will regular bar oil with a splash of diesel. And its alot cheaper than wasting synthetic motor oil.
Apologies, once you answered the question we should have all realized the matter is closed and no further replies will be necessary.

In terms of price:
-It costs $25 for a five quart container of 0W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic at the local Wally World ($5 a quart).
-It costs $20 at the local Stihl dealer for a gallon (4 quarts) of premium Stihl bar oil ($5 a quart).

I don't need to buy diesel and do any mixing and the synthetic oil will do a very good job with wear and friction. Any leftover I don't need can be used in a vehicle.

Whatever suits you best. Just presenting my own suggestion.

Apologies, once you answered the question we should have all realized the matter is closed and no further replies will be necessary.

In terms of price:
-It costs $25 for a five quart container of 0W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic at the local Wally World ($5 a quart).
-It costs $20 at the local Stihl dealer for a gallon (4 quarts) of premium Stihl bar oil ($5 a quart).

I don't need to buy diesel and do any mixing and the synthetic oil will do a very good job with wear and friction. Any leftover I don't need can be used in a vehicle.

Whatever suits you best. Just presenting my own suggestion.
Wowser, your getting hosed on bar oil. I buy it for $7 a gallon.

Wowser, your getting hosed on bar oil. I buy it for $7 a gallon.
If you can get Stihl or Husqvarna winter grade bar oil for $7 a gallon that's the deal of the century. $14-20 seems to be common at most shops I've seen on the east coast. Even Echo brand is $12 at Home Depot near me and it's not winter grade.

If you can get Stihl or Husqvarna winter grade bar oil for $7 a gallon that's the deal of the century. $14-20 seems to be common at most shops I've seen on the east coast. Even Echo brand is $12 at Home Depot near me and it's not winter grade.
Walmart Supertech, Cam 2, TsC, all go own sale for around $7. I stock up when its on sale. In fact I have a life time supply practically because I do much less cutting than I use to.

I don't' HAVE to cut wood when it's real cold. So my solution to sub zero temps and cutting wood is just not cut lol I'll wait for teens to 30's or even 40's weather to cut!

However, if there's a tree down via a storm or whatever and needs to be removed in seriously cold temps, I generally just my bar oil with kero as well. In a situation like that I'm not going to go to town to buy cold weather bar oil.

I don't' HAVE to cut wood when it's real cold. So my solution to sub zero temps and cutting wood is just not cut lol I'll wait for teens to 30's or even 40's weather to cut!

However, if there's a tree down via a storm or whatever and needs to be removed in seriously cold temps, I generally just my bar oil with kero as well. In a situation like that I'm not going to go to town to buy cold weather bar oil.
If it's not windy its actually not bad cutting in the cold. You don't even break a sweat if dressed properly. I actually prefer it, but I lived in Upper MI for years.

If it's not windy its actually not bad cutting in the cold. You don't even break a sweat if dressed properly. I actually prefer it, but I lived in Upper MI for years.
Yeah I'm in Wisconsin and I prefer cold weather cutting...but not sub zero. That's what I would consider weather that requires cutting bar oil with kero

teens to 40's is perfect. 50s-70s is will do. Above that and I avoid cutting unless I'm getting paid for it.

Latest posts

Back