From Bowline to Daisy Chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesandcars

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was watching "Educated Climber's videos on youtube :

He rigs using a daisy chain vs a bowline.

I liked how he used it, I see several advantages to it over the bowline. Not as a total replacement, but it's a cool option.

I'm not an arborist so I don't have a chance to do tree work every day. I never shock loaded a daisy chain, so not sure how easy it unties.

Obviously it can be subject to loosening up unless the tail is tucked back through the last loop.

I started using the daisy like he does around the house for a variety of things and it's very handy.

Any thoughts on how he is using it or how you guys use it?

I was watching "Educated Climber's videos on youtube :

He rigs using a daisy chain vs a bowline.

I liked how he used it, I see several advantages to it over the bowline. Not as a total replacement, but it's a cool option.

I'm not an arborist so I don't have a chance to do tree work every day. I never shock loaded a daisy chain, so not sure how easy it unties.

Obviously it can be subject to loosening up unless the tail is tucked back through the last loop.

I started using the daisy like he does around the house for a variety of things and it's very handy.

Any thoughts on how he is using it or how you guys use it?

I saw that the other day and it kinda freaked me out. But if it works, it works. But then I don't really know if it works. Not sure about blocking big stuff with it. Pretty hard to see the bowline getting replaced.

Being a groundman, I would never, ever, tie off anything crucial with that knot. Not until a the proof is in.

Have you used it with heavy loads?

Yes, but I’ll admit with silly heavy stuff I’ll go back to a running bow with a half hitch of course.
I forget the Educated Climber guys name but you can check out what he says on his site about the daisy chain hitch and can most likely contact him directly for specific questions about it. I’d prefer not to have someone trust a knot on my word alone.

Yes, but I’ll admit with silly heavy stuff I’ll go back to a running bow with a half hitch of course.
I forget the Educated Climber guys name but you can check out what he says on his site about the daisy chain hitch and can most likely contact him directly for specific questions about it. I’d prefer not to have someone trust a knot on my word alone.

I showed the daisy chain knot to my climber today, he thought it was interesting. But I don't think we'd use it except for fun on some light stuff.

I was wondering: Its a running knot, where can it go? I mean the worst that could happen is it jams or slips a little right? Start small and see?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It works just fine. Under any load too. I've used the running bowline everyday for over 20 years. I tried the daisy chain last summer for a few weeks. Works good and is easy to tie. Never slipped. It cinches just like the running bowline. I went back to the running bowline for no other reason than I subconsciously tie it without thinking. The daisy chain is easier for the groundys to untie especially with gloves on. Always tuck the tail in the last loop. Something could pull it out otherwise.

Faster to untie. A groundsman that can't break a locked up bowline can really slow down the operation.
Im all for #groundieslivesmatter but ANYTHING that keeps a climber in the spikes longer is bad to me. Ground help can be found and trained much faster then a climber....around here anyway.

It's a rare groundy that can tie the basic 4 or 5 knots that they should be able to tie. In my area anyway. Bowline, running bowline, quick hitch, Alpine butterfly. If I fired everyone that couldn't tie at least the bowline and quick hitch, I would always be alone.

Back