Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikedSupra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want to send a couple of extended thank you's to those who offered nothing but your moral support and tree service expertise. Among those I would like to specifically thank Treeman14, Nickrosis, Geofore, Murphy4Trees, Jumper, and TreeTX for your wonderful advice on the strongest and most reliable brands of saws, answers to my insurance and pricing queries, and their overall optimistic outlook and encouragement in my decision to take on this business venture. you have been more than helpful. I will keep you posted on my progress and may have more questions for you in the near future.

For those who offered nothing but negatory and sarcastic remarks I am sorry that you felt you had to respond in such a condescending manner. I refuse to return such remarks because its not in my moral. Receiving such remarks gives one a real idealistic knowledge of the individual's character. I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself but it may feel good to come back to this board in a few months with good news on my businesses success. Although some of you have felt that you should discourage my efforts I truly hope from one business man to another that you wish me good fortune in my endeavor. I wish nothing but the best for all individuals on this prestigious board.

I leave you with now with two more quotes from my unfinished book:

5. "One who can sell a material object or service is a good salesman but one who can sell themselves can sell anything."

10. "Nobody speaks apprehensively to a person of lower intelligence so keeping one's cunning and wit concealed can be a good way to know another's true intentions."

Business Name

Treeman14.....I like that name. I will take that one into consideration for a final decision. If anyone else has any other creative ideas(considering my name is Forrest) throw that at me for consideration. The person that comes up with the title of my company gets a cookie!
Catch you guys on the flip.

I always try to lean away from names that attach an individual to the company. Names like Joe's Tree Care leave a client thinking that they are writing a check to Joe and not a check to a company. In my experience, customers feel uncomfortable giving a few thousand dollars to an individual who just worked there for 2 days. It really doesn't matter that much. your reputation for reliability and quality are what will carry you the farthest. After all, you do not want to be picked for your name. You want to be recommended, not picked. You want satisfied customers, LAs, and nursery personnel recommending you. They still may get a few other bids to see if you are reasonable, but they will still choose you with a great rec even if you are the highest.

You can't cut corners and provide the highest quality work. That means you can't cut the price down when it comes to invoicing high. High quality work for a low price will result in resentment and eventually, a drop in quality. I went through that cycle. Now I always add and extra buffer so I can stop by a month or 2 later and take care of any minor additional needs for no charge.

I am rambling when I should be sweating.

the names i always wanted to use was "cash tree care" ok lady just write the check to cash. or "LFK tree care" i just thought it was funny. LFK is for little fat kid.
good luck forrest and stay safe.

Silvi-arb-co a division of F.F.T.T. (Forest For The Tree's)
Now I do like that!
Yuo must admit that "Climb an Cut" one is preetty crummy.

Oh no !! There goes any hope of my name making the "most helpful to Forest list"

I supose it hit a nerve with me in that it describes what most people think is all that Arborists do or are capable off.That combined with your obovious lack of expirence prompted my seemly sarcastic post.
My apoligies as I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but perhaps some posts here may have helped you reassess your priorities.

Here's a clue Forest a quote from my perhaps never to be fininhed book.
"dont take yourself or anything that anyone says about you on the internet too seriously"

All the best mate!!!

I laughed myself silly when I read Forrest's enthusiastic response to the name '(can't see the) Forrest for the Trees'. :D

I just can't seem to stop myself from becoming somewhat peturbed when some jackleg with 2 weeks 'experience' says he is going to start a tree service. Kinda like someone who goes out scuba diving one time on a tourist boat, then says they want to become a dive instructor. At least there are certifications required in other fields before someone can unleash havoc on the public at large. I still think Mr. Forrest should actually LEARN something about tree work before attempting to butcher helpless trees for unsuspecting homeowners.

If Mr. Forrest were to come back in a year, with climbing training and a LITTLE experience, I would be much more inclined to help. Maybe he wouldn't start off by asking "What kind of saw should I get?"

Thank You all

Ok. The communication barrier is starting to decompose and thats good. I at least I have a better understanding of where Treeclimber165 is coming from. Remember that unlike the analogy that Treeclimber165 used(The scuba analogy) I wouldnt consider myself a professional in a position to teach or be an expert at all in this profession.

I had a good talk with my mentor today. I told him that I knew that I was unprepared to tackle large jobs that you experts take care of. I am smart enough to realize this. My boss told me that if I had a large job that I felt I couldnt handle he would come over and take the tree down for me for a small fee. I am perfectly fine with this because I dont want to get in over my head(for those of you who thought that I already was getting in over my head). Like I said I just want to do some small jobs and make a lil money. There is no harm in that right? Who says if your going to start a tree service that it has to be large and of corporate stature.

By the way...I know what saws to use on different jobs but I was just interested in everyone's opinion on which brand they trusted the most. My boss says he likes the Stihl saws the best. I just wanted to know your opinions on what saws you rely on. Dont assume that when I ask what saws are the best and most reliable that I dont have a clue on what I am doing. I think people are focusing on that question a bit too much. Hope to hear back from you fellas.:)
Forrest

Forrest,
I can`t really see where you can get by with just one saw for this type of work.
Sometimes the dealer is more important than the brand.
I have both Stihl and Husqvarna saws and both brands have been good performers.
Are you certified to use a chainsaw for commercial use?

Originally posted by Kevin
Are you certified to use a chainsaw for commercial use?

There is such a thing? I've never heard of that...

Forrest, you should look into leasing equipment because you can bail after a year without any baggage to hold onto. On top of that, the payments can be very reasonable.

Nickrosis

Hey Forrest,

Saws,saws,saws. Some guys are fanatics about Husky, Stihl or Jonsered or whatever their fetish may be. I think everyone here will be in agreement that most of the "pro" names are good saws. The real deciding factor should probably hinge on the servicing dealer. I went Husky for expressly that reason. The local Stihl guy is an idiot and the Dolmar guy took a week to sharpen a chain. My Husky dealer goes that extra mile when servicing my saws (and other stuff)and will have chains back the same morning if I want them that fast. Service like that is probably why I haven't sat down to learn how to hand sharpen yet.

:)

Shop the dealer, and then the saw and you will probably be happier in the end.

How about D'Forrest Tree service?

:D

Good Luck

Nickrosis,
It will be a state or provincial requirement usually.
I can`t say if every state has it though.
It`s usually a pre req for arbo training.

I don't know that Wisconsin requires any specific training for use of a chainsaw in the industry. Of course, abiding by the ANSI standard is necessary for arborist work.

Would FISTA (Forest Industry Safety Training Alliance) fall under the category of training that you're referring to?

Nickrosis

Anyone using a chainsaw in a commercial environment must be certified here in Ontario.
I have to be certified to use a chainsaw as a cable repair tech as do my contractors.
It`s a three day course, two in a classroom and one in the field.

How about O
Trees On the Forrest
Forest on the Floor tree svc
Watch the Forrest Fly tree Svc
Trees Are on Us.

LOL I Had just Had to.

:D

David,

That reminds of a philosophical question I was musing about. If a tree falls on a Forrest and no one is around does he make a noise? :D

I think I might have a chapter dedicated to that in the book that I am never going to write.;) Just some clean fun Forrest, maybe someday you'll get a chance to take a clean shot back. Later dudes.

Kudos

Those are some good company names. I will be making my decision on the name shortly and its thanks to you guys. To answer Mike's philosophical question.....YES because I can yell really loud. Good question though. BTW Mike is your last name Hunt?

In Florida there is no requirement for a license to use a chainsaw so I will be fine there.

I know some of you believe that I can do this and make a profit and others think I will fail and its ok to think either way because its your opinion and your entitled to it. All I can say is start placing your online bets now! Business success pays 2:1. Talk to you guys later.

How about Green Forest, j/k Just saw an ad for a service w/ that name how freekin generic is that?
Down to Earth , we have at least 1 company with each of those names in that list. Guess they work:rolleyes:

Forrest , I would say if you have any climbing ability you are way ahead of most new guys combined with your bizness scoolin' . I've been learning the hard way, numbers just make me sleepy.ZZZZzzzzzzzz.........

Back