From free to making money??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEKS Tree Svc

I get up there
Reaction score
I recently posted a craigslist ad for free tree removal so that I could get some firewood for the winter, that turned into more responses than I ever thought it would. Some of the work requires climbing up 15 feet an Oak tree to cut a couple dead limbs, so buying some spikes and rope is further than I will take my free work for firewood. I would like to start charging so that I can make some weekend cash. Are there any websites were I can learn about cutting trees down in the city (near power lines, etc)? All the trees I have cut down so far were in the country, so felling the tree didn't have any property risks. If there is a website with some how-to's and tree trimming basics that would help out a ton. This will help me support my family too, we have a small baby and the weekend is the only time I can get out to work. Thank you! From what I have seen so far there is a ton of info on here, so I am reading as much as I can.

If the limbs are only 15 feet up, you could buy a pole pruner with a saw blade on it, and do them from the ground.

Spikes....= $220 to $550 (If the tree is staying, don't spike any part of it that's staying)
Rope......= $135
Saddle....= $250 to $450
Helmet....= $120
Biners/lanyard/rope snaps/misc. = $150 to $250

You'll be out at least $870 on your first job to cover the gear to get you started, if you climb.

Pruning Pole...= $80 to $150 (no climbing and no other gear required, except maybe a pair of gloves, safety glasses, and helmet)

TO the OP, save your money, pride and liability and just buy beer...quality beer, not cheap stuff and find a good tree service in your area that is looking to unload some spoils of their hard work, trade beer for wood and nobody is going to loose out on the deal and you don't end up hurt, dead or in a lawsuit that could have you living out of a cardboard box.

Im serious guys

Im not completely new to working around trees, I have been felling trees for awhile. Most work has been with trees that needed cleared near pastures (hedge and locust because the thorns aren't good near horses). Yes, one person said "Hes already calling himself a tree service" well, I have been clearing trees for free for months now, when I knew I could be making money removing these trees from peoples yards and pastures here in KS. Why pass up the money if I'm already cutting the wood for my home? Thats why I asked the question everyone. I just don't have an official name yet, so I used that username.

I have a chance to get some used spikes for $40 from a guy who recently retired from climbing. I don't know the brand, but someone else is willing to sell a complete set of rigging gear to me for $200. I thought about getting a pole saw today and see if that can tackle those limbs. I have climbed trees without spikes and rope to cut dead limbs for firewood, but I'm trying to go safe. I appreciate the positive feedback from those who gave it. I'm not giving up, my personal dream is to own a business. I'm not a kid, I'm 31 now. I'm a veteran, so I do qualify for some small business assistance most don't. Thanks everyone, haters included.

THx

First thing is not to use spikes to remove a couple dead limbs out of an oak.

I will get the pole saw and see if that will get the 2nd one that's higher up. Will be sure to cut and not interfere with the bark ridge or branch collar while I'm at it. Thanks again

I agree

If you have a new baby and family, don't work around power lines. You are not qualified.

While there aren't any power lines around the large Oak, I wont take on any jobs that involve power lines. I'm too green, so my plan is to refer those jobs to a large company that can handle them. My plan is to slowly take on jobs until I get more experience, and then when I'm certified and insured start slowly with jobs like that.

Really?

Mommy wow, I'm a treeman now!

This guy allready calls himself a tree service? Where is Consumer Reports?

I'm not green, right now I'm clearing 2 downed trees from high winds for a soldier in Afghan, so that he can rent out the house he owns here. Even if I could charge him, I wouldn't. Thats me doing something positive for someone who is serving, and you mention consumer reports, sure, I have no worries my track record will be nothing but positive.

What am I missing?

I thought this site, specifically this 101 forum, was for noobs like me to get help. Are the majority of you saying I should give up because its a profession that ends in failure, or because you don't know the type of person I am? I'm willing to put in the work, and learn everything I can. I want to give my daughter a better life than if I were to go flip burgers. The chance to make money I saw while doing all this free work seems to good to pass up. I have removed trees that I should have walked away from because of the amount of work involved for free. If I didn't need the firewood to help cut down on the propane bill, and if I lived closer than the 30 miles to town, I might have walked away. I can't understand why there is so much negativity. I can't get hired on at a tree company, so I thought taking some small jobs so I could start learning would be good. What am I missing guys?

Back