Frosty day for cleanup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
turnkey4099
Great day for burning brush and general cleaning of the old locust site.

8 degrees when I left the house at 8:30, clear, no breeze, 1" snow on the ground. Goal was to burn a brush pile.

010-3.jpg

Not a good burn as it was spread out going down hill and I only had enough stuff to start it in one spot. Got it fired up on the uphill side. 3 hours later it was still burning at the bottom edge.

011-1.jpg

While waiting on it, I proceeded to start clearanc of all the down stuff.

008-4.jpg

I need a road going up that draw - there are 4 large and 1 medium locust right at the top. Also that row of standing dead locusts in the picture (all small). Will be doing quite a bit of skidding trees/logs down aways. That is for next spring/summer - Have to close down operations on this site for the winter now as the road will soon be impassable due to either mud or snow. Only way I managed to get in now was the week of below freezing weather we have had to solidify several mud holes.

Made fair progress on that work. Got past the first batch. There is an old hogwire fence that runs pretty much right along that line of crap. I will need to pull at last one post and ALAP those two short stumps in the background. Of course the hogwire is right against one of them. :cry: Sort of played out at that point as my MS210 had already eaten its share of it and I screwed up on the third cut with the MS310 - hit dirt and that was pretty much all she wrote. Wasn't interested at that point in changing chains.

Spent the last hour sipping plasma and sitting on a stump interspersed with tossing chunks around the edges into the fire.

Harry K

mtngun

mtngun

Addicted to ArboristSite
Turnkey, I enjoy hearing about your firewood gathering antics. I'm familiar with your Palouse farm country so I can imagine how finding wood must feel like finding treasure. Our eastern AS members who are surrounded by hardwood don't know how good they've got it, firewood-wise.

Keep up the good work.

Latest posts