Frozen wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is why I commented. I just started with a CSM and already have receipts for over $1300 NOT including the saw.
What type of stuff are you buying?
Beyond some fancy rails, and a jack I wouldn't want to be packing anything else in to use an Alaskan that I wouldn't be using just to cut a tree down.
Maybe a peavey.

Drop a frozen log and it will shatter.

I dropped one last week, but luckily we're not freezing out here in Cali., and I only dropped it about a foot. ;)

The way I see it a CSM and a band mill are 2 different tools to do 2 different jobs and shouldn't be pitted against one an other. Of course there's overlap. In my wildest dreams I can't imagine trying to do production, sales work with a CSM. On the other hand you can't carry your band mill back in the woods for one special log, Joe.

The way I see it a CSM and a band mill are 2 different tools to do 2 different jobs and shouldn't be pitted against one an other. Of course there's overlap. In my wildest dreams I can't imagine trying to do production, sales work with a CSM. On the other hand you can't carry your band mill back in the woods for one special log, Joe.

I started off doing production with a CSM, it is feasible, if you have the right higher end markets, although I suppose that could be said then that it wasn't so much production as custom order. I agree though that there is a lot of work and markets that a bandmill will be able to expose a sawyer to.

Last edited:
This is waaaay of topic but, Coalsmoke, I went to your website and saw your tractor and request for a counterweight idea. Here is mine: It consists of a 4ft. piece of 12" I-beam with the top made out of light 1/8" steel plate (ends) and bullwire (sides) and the 3-pt hitch attachments. I made it to carry tools but discovered afterwords that four 5-gallon buckets fit in it nicely so I filled the buckets with concrete--stuck some re-bar handles into the concrete and presto--the weighted backend holds the heavest front loader full that I have encountered. I can take the buckets out and it works great to carry the tools. And it has a hitch on the back too for moving trailers.

attachment.php

Now closer to topic--There was a little weather pop up on your site that said you were at 41ºF, Well my wood is not frozen yet but we are at 23ºF with a predicted low of 15º tonight and I am in CENTRAL TEXAS. What did you do--send it all down here!!!!

Bill, I really like that carry all you made for the tractor. I would like to make something like that and put another 650lbs of plate on it. Right now I am using a 750lb piece of Spruce log, it works ok, but it is hard to carry saws or pull anything with the back of the tractor with the counterweight on it. I've saved a photo of your carry-all as an upcoming project.

Now, as for this weather, you can keep it, its gone all wet and warm up here. We're all turned around backwards. A few weeks ago it was 10*F out here, and now a few weeks later into winter its reaching upwards of 55*F. It must be because we're hosting the winter olympics this year:dizzy:

Bill, I really like that carry all you made for the tractor. I would like to make something like that and put another 650lbs of plate on it....

...Now, as for this weather, you can keep it, its gone all wet and warm up here. We're all turned around backwards. A few weeks ago it was 10*F out here, and now a few weeks later into winter its reaching upwards of 55*F.

When you add extra weight on the back like that, does it tend to sink a lot easier in soft ground?

I'm liking the above freezing temperature here, but a bit of sun would sure help!

When you add extra weight on the back like that, does it tend to sink a lot easier in soft ground?

I'm liking the above freezing temperature here, but a bit of sun would sure help!

I agree with you about the "AWOL" sun. All this rain is sure a pain in the neck.

As for the tractor weight, its all relative. The more weight on those tires the easier they will sink, but, my tractor is around 8,000lbs with ballast, then figure the loader with log forks will be another 1,000 lbs, and put 2,500lbs of wood on the forks. At this point, the tractor is sitting around 11,5000lbs combined, so the extra 750 lbs of counterweight (which is only 6% of total weight) will push the total weight up around the 12,250 point, but without it, the traction and stability of the tractor suffers. I find with the ballast and counterweight I have on it now, I will tip with around 3,400 - 3,500lbs on the forks, which is my comfortable maximum I want that front axle to have to deal with.

My point is, i read this page here all the time, and most of the CSM's here have WAAAAAY more than "a" power head and an Alaskan!

I agree, try 8 power heads, 12+ bars, 2 alaskans and a beam mill. Plus cant hooks log lifters, 3 sets of log rails etc.

I'd probably have something like a Lucas if my primary issue wasn't space. I have logs and lumber located over a distance of 300 miles across the state, but I want to be able to locate all of my milling gear at home - a long narrow inner city 1/6th of an acre. The reason for this is so I can work on and maintain the gear in the evenings after work. We only have space for 2 vehicles at the front of our house and do not have vehicular access to the back. I don't even have enough space to store a trailer let alone a mill.

BobL, your problem is solved! There is 15 acres of nice semi-wooded land for sale next to mine. I am praying for a fellow woodworker to buy it. All of your stuff will fit nicely, My brother builds metal buildings and will be glad to fix you up with a barn to store it all--and you build your dream home on it. No restrictions that I am aware of except you must be very nice to your neighbor to the south. :greenchainsaw:

My mill cost 250 times what my milling saw cost and if you add all of my chainsaw stuff verse the sawmill stuff it comes out to about it comes out to about 45 times as much. I bought my first real chainsaw after buying the mill and support equipment, which by the way I could use plenty of extras beyond what I have. The chainsaw mill has a small nitch in what I do but it still pays for its self. By the way, I do park the mill along side the log or log deck and the multiple pee-vees move most any log that I can put on the mill as long as there is a strong back attached to each of the handles.

BobL, your problem is solved! There is 15 acres of nice semi-wooded land for sale next to mine. I am praying for a fellow woodworker to buy it. All of your stuff will fit nicely, My brother builds metal buildings and will be glad to fix you up with a barn to store it all--and you build your dream home on it. No restrictions that I am aware of except you must be very nice to your neighbor to the south. :greenchainsaw:

Sounds ideal, but transporting all the logs I have available to mill to TX could get rather pricey. :)

Sounds ideal, but transporting all the logs I have available to mill to TX could get rather pricey. :)

bob i have seen the work you do you could fasten all the logs together and make a large raft or a small barge and then with all ther milled bourds a paddle wheel that is driven buy several chain saw powerheads and your on your way to north america with all your belongings :laugh:

Sorry this had to get into a peeing match between CSM and band mills.

I would love to build a band mill, but you have to start somewhere.

I believe an Alaskan type mill will let you know if you would like to step up to a real band mill.

Ok this might get some of you guys going but a band mill is in my opinion not a step up from a chain saw mill. I grew up running AK mills, with 090 ans 070 power. Many 1000- 1200 bf days with 3 people. We made the mistake of buying a band mill, and a expensive auto sharpener and never got more than 500 bf and alot of frustration.

We then got a 8" Lucas and it is twice the machine of the band mill, i can cut 2000 bf a day by myself and over 5000 with a good swamper. The wood can be frozen, dead, or full of knots and it makes no difference. I do look back on the days with the AK mill with fondness and we never did kill a 090, they are one tough saw.

Ok this might get some of you guys going but a band mill is in my opinion not a step up from a chain saw mill. I grew up running AK mills, with 090 ans 070 power. Many 1000- 1200 bf days with 3 people. We made the mistake of buying a band mill, and a expensive auto sharpener and never got more than 500 bf and alot of frustration.

We then got a 8" Lucas and it is twice the machine of the band mill, i can cut 2000 bf a day by myself and over 5000 with a good swamper. The wood can be frozen, dead, or full of knots and it makes no difference. I do look back on the days with the AK mill with fondness and we never did kill a 090, they are one tough saw.

Who made the bandmill you bought?

The band mill was a wood miser that was on a trailer and was all hydraulic.
Not sure what model or anything but what a piece of junk.

Bandsaw mill vs. CSM are definately two different animals. Worked with my neighbour on his bandsawmill for quite a few years, still have acess to it if I ever need a lot of lumber. Bought myself a Logosol M7 as a retirement present and it is ideal for cutting enough material for the odd small job. Biggest project in the past couple of years has been about 550 BF of 1" pine for our daughter. Its great for salvaging those small softwoods that have to come down for whatever reason - end up with two 2x4s and a pile of sawdust but I have fun doing it and the 2x4s will get used somewhere.

Ideally, I would like to add a bigger Alaska style mill, mine is old and slow, a swing mill, and a smaller bandmill that I can lay out some long tracks for, to go along with my bandmill. As they each have there place.

Back