Fuel can fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2broke2ride

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm the only weirdo who still loves these fuel cans for saw gas, but in case I'm not I thought everyone might like to know that EZ pour sells a "metal can adapter" set that adapts their fuel spouts to a variety of old school metal gas cans. I'm pretty excited to put dads old can back in service!!!!
da1adf04eafe0f343c445e42631ea34c.jpg

Not sure if I'm the only weirdo who still loves these fuel cans for saw gas, but in case I'm not I thought everyone might like to know that EZ pour sells a "metal can adapter" set that adapts their fuel spouts to a variety of old school metal gas cans. I'm pretty excited to put dads old can back in service!!!!
Nice man! Pretty nostalgic!
Say.. seeing as you just went down this road, would you happen to know how many different thread patterns typical plastic gasoline cans use.. I've got like 8 very similar 5 gal cans just sitting in my garage being useless because i have no spouts for them or the spouts that i do have, don't fit & just cross thread on.. my gas game is mucked up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Say.. seeing as you just went down this road, would you happen to know how many different thread patterns typical plastic gasoline cans use.. I've got like 8 very similar 5 gal cans just sitting in my garage being useless because i have no spouts for them or the spouts that i do have, don't fit & just cross thread on.. my gas game is mucked up.

Have you any Rubbermaid or Gott ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe there are 3 different common threads. Ez pour spouts come with the 2 most common and they sell various other adapters on their website. I have been able to fit all of my plastic cans with the 2 that come with the spouts. My cans are mostly blitz and igloo.

The problem with steel cans is they tend to rust if water gets in the bottom or if left on the ground where moister can corrode the bottom of the tank. Now that most fuel has ethanol I suspect it will be worse.
Plastic cans don't corrode but the do breath and fuel will evaporate faster in a plastic can then in a steel can.
Steel cans do block out all sunlight that breaks down fuel, plastic cans let light in and degrades the fuel faster.

The problem with steel cans is they tend to rust if water gets in the bottom or if left on the ground where moister can corrode the bottom of the tank. Now that most fuel has ethanol I suspect it will be worse.
Plastic cans don't corrode but the do breath and fuel will evaporate faster in a plastic can then in a steel can.
Steel cans do block out all sunlight that breaks down fuel, plastic cans let light in and degrades the fuel faster.
Dont know what to say man, my dad got that can when he bought a McCulloch 10-10 in 1971. He used it for saw gas until about 5 years ago when I took it over, I used it till last year when the spout broke, and now it will go back in service. Still no sign of rust or corrosion. I have another of these that is even older and also has no sign of rust. I like these because they are short and fat and dont tip over in the truck.

I read a study about plastic vs metal gas cans. It said use plastic only for transport, not storage. Said gas starts deteriorating in plastic after 2 weeks, metal 6 months.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

i use that same metal can with the original plastic spout
The original spout was rubber with a push in stopper in the end. It broke off at the base. I bought a replacement off of Ebay but it went hard in about 6 months and I couldnt get the stopper out without pliers so I retired it until I just found this adapter kit.

Gas cans suck, I just measure the saw tank and put the right amount of oil in and fill right at the gas station. Heh

Had a bad deal once when a larger can tipped over while driving.

I've ruined my forearms running saws and lifting wood I only use 1 or 2 gallon cans max that dont tip in the truck and don't kill me to lift if I don't absolutely have to.

Gas cans suck, I just measure the saw tank and put the right amount of oil in and fill right at the gas station. Heh

Had a bad deal once when a larger can tipped over while driving.

I've ruined my forearms running saws and lifting wood I only use 1 or 2 gallon cans max that dont tip in the truck and don't kill me to lift if I don't absolutely have to.

A truck without a rubber bed liner keeps things like 5 gallon cans from sliding around, however, because they don't slide, they tend to tip over. The hard plastic drop in liners are so hard a bucket will slide but not generally turn over. Same with no liner, buckets slide around but don't generally turn over.
I try to always tie the can to a hook with a rope so it stays where I put it.
Plastic cans seem to be more puncture proof the steel cans are, depending on how thick the steel is.
Plastic breathes allowing the fuel to evaporate over time and sun light is bad for gas. Steel eliminates any sunlight from getting in keeping it fresher longer.
I only mix one gallon at a time so I have a better chance of using all of it before it goes bad.
But now that I have found a e-free fuel, I may take my 100 gallon aluminum fuel tank down and fill it up.
When I bought my generators I bought 2 100 gallon fuel tanks so I could store fuel for hurricane season, but that was before they started adding ethanol.
I think I can safely store e-free fuel a good six months in my 100 gallon aluminum tank with no problem, and I can always run it in my truck if I think it's been sitting for awhile and I just need to use it or loose it.

Fill a 5 gallon plastic can full of fuel and seal it tight and store it in the dark and leave it for about a month or two. The can will only be about half full.

Dont know what to say man, my dad got that can when he bought a McCulloch 10-10 in 1971. He used it for saw gas until about 5 years ago when I took it over, I used it till last year when the spout broke, and now it will go back in service. Still no sign of rust or corrosion. I have another of these that is even older and also has no sign of rust. I like these because they are short and fat and dont tip over in the truck.

Well you get what you pay for and your cans may be high quality steel and may be lined with some kind of treatment that prevents rust. It's not the fuel that rust the can, it's the water that sits on the bottom.
A full can will keep longer then a half full can.

Thanks man!
They all seal good?
I have one that fits a few but it leaks like a siv..

I'll deff look into the Ez brand..

I use quite a few old gas cans, both metal and plastic - I haul a lot of gas out here in the middle of nowhere! Old spouts crack, and the gaskets get old and leak bad. I recently discovered on the EZ-Pour web site that they will send you a few new gaskets for free if you have problems with their older ones, so this got me looking closer to replace all my old leaking spouts and gaskets. In the past, I was not overly happy with the EZ-Pour spouts because the gaskets were easily destroyed, but now I have completely changed my mind.

As stated earlier, there are two very common spout and thread sizes for the caps on older plastic cans - some have a very thick course thread, and the others have a finer thread. EZ-Pour has a chart on their site that tells you which brands use which type of cap. Those two are basically the same size except for the threads, and it is possible to force the wrong type on a can. There are also several other sizes for some European cans and odd US or Canadian brands, but these are very uncommon. Besides just replacement spouts, EZ-Pour sells adapters to utilize many other types of containers with their spouts; I especially like the one that lets me use 2.5 gallon oil jugs for gas! And their metal can adapters also fit perfectly on the old 5-gallon round kerosene cans. And all of their various styles of current spouts will screw together to make extensions too.

I bought a pair of those cans in 1978 when I got my Poulan SD25. The vent caps went first and then the plugs and hoses hardened up. I still have them buried in my shed.

Fill a 5 gallon plastic can full of fuel and seal it tight and store it in the dark and leave it for about a month or two. The can will only be about half full.

Huh? I have five, 5 gallon plastic cans in which I store gasoline for emergencies for 6 months at a time. I have never seen a lower level in the can when I open them to rotate and refresh the fuel six months after the last fill.

I have a bunch of ez-pour spouts , and the big ez-flow spouts for diesel cans.

they also sell parts like gaskets and new caps

the only issue I have with the dozen or so ez-pour spouts is the gaskets when cold want to stick to the can and pull off when cold , I need to order more gaskets.

the other warning is squirrels when the cans have gas in them eat the spout but if they have Diesel or bar oil in them the squirrel leave them alone stupid huffer squirrels that cost me 4 spouts so far , the parts replaced the gaskets on the ones with bad gaskets.

My Dad has a couple 5 gallons versions of those. Have a flexable metal spout on them.

Latest posts

Back