Fuel Economy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timberwolf

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Every time the HS jet gets richened up, the time the saw runs on a tank of gas goes down.

Open up the exhaust, open the HS jet and add more gas
Change the port timing, open the HS jet and add more gas
Change the carb shape, open the HS jet and add more gas
Take the RPM up, without leaning the mix, add more gas
Change from gas to alcohol, and add lots more

However in the bit of experimenting I did a pipe can even reduce fuel consumption.

timberwolf

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
my post did not respond to the question, but it's kind of hard to compair the fuel consumption of an old saw to a new saw.

lots of variables

tank size (run time)
engine sizes
HP
How tired was the old saw
how much wood is cut in the time period
chain and bar diferences...

But because polution is linked to consumption I would think that EPA ristrictions would encorage the manufactures to reduce fuel comsumption if only indirectly for new saws.

The first couple years of fire wood I cut my wood stove were with a small 36cc green poulan, 2.5 gal of fuel would make 10-12 face cords, now burn at least twice the gas to make the same amount of wood, but do it in a quater of the time (My new saws suffer from many of the fuel consumption problems identified in my first post). Time is money so I come out ahead and have more fun doing it.

Lobo

Addicted to ArboristSite
G, compared to a SUV, a pick-up or 4x4 that all guzzle it down, does it really matter all that much ?

A few days ago I filled up here at exactly $1.15 canadian per liter for regular unleaded with no junky corn alcohol in it, that is exactly $3.70 U.S for a yankee gallon.

I do not believe there is that much difference in fuel consumption between saws of yesteryears and todays. However they are lighter, vibrate less and are quieter.

Simonizer

Simonizer

Addicted to ArboristSite
The new Husqvarna 575 is supposed to be much better on fuel than the 372. It is an interesting engine design but the claims of 40% more fuel efficient seems a little lofty to me. From a chemical and physical standpoint, an internal combustion engine will typically consume 1/2 a pound of fuel per HP, per hour. Keep in mind a 5 hp saw is not using 5 hp continuously as there are stops, starts, half-throttle etc. Also there will be variations due to engine sizes, a large engine is inherently more efficient than a small one. 1/2 a pound is a good place to start. This number will range between 0.35 for a large Diesel to more like 0.65 for small air-cooled 2-stroke engine.

bvaught

bvaught

ArboristSite Operative
Newer saws in stock trim are more fuel efficient than their older counterparts. One reason for this is more restrictrive mufflers and porting that minimize the intake charge getting out of the exhaust port before it is burned.

I am guessing another reason is that newer saws are set up to run a slightly leaner mixture than older saws. I would love to hear comments on this theory from someone with more experience in this field.

Latest posts