fuel leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magilla

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
still a newb here but learning.

I have an 031 I bought just over a year ago. The guy I got it from tuned it up and made it nice. There's not much wear in it and the paint is hardly scratched.

I used it a bit and had chain problems so I got a new chain and the wood chips flying out as it cut through oak like jello.

Here's where I really messed up. It sat for a few months w/o draining and running the gas out and I eventually put in some stabil and Marvel additive in it and in the mixed gas can. I got chewed out for putting that Marvel in it and as well as a few other things. I hate to admit it but this winter, I also used starting fluid spray to start it a few times when I got frustrated with it but needed the firewood cut.

At one point the gas had sat in the saw for about 8 mo. and I even used some of the gas in the mixed can. Now I'm cutting a giant elm and I notice the saw dogging it a bit under heavy cutting and after idling for 1 or 2 min it dies out. If I catch it before it dies I have to gently pulse the trigger to get the rpm's up. If I throttle it then it floods. It starts ok but seems to flood a bit sometimes. This noticed the first day of cutting this elm when we hoisted the saw up the tree a few times while idling and it cut out before my friend could get to cutting.

I cleaned out the air filter and it was soaked with gas and in the lower left corner (if looking from the back) there was fuel soaked dirt/dust on the front and back of the filter.

After reading forums I'm getting the idea that the fuel line most likely needs replacing and the diaphram in the carb too. The plug looks good though.

I just need a confirmation and/or correction and any addition info if you will please.

Thank you.

yes, go though your fuel system end-to-end.

Clean out the tank. New fuel filter, take the carb apart and clean/new kit. You probably have either bad needle, diaphragms in the carb or, the inlet screen is blocked with junk. In any case, a carb rebuild is in order.

Fuel soaked air cleaner is either from flooding or a worn piston skirt (not uncommon on 031/32). Just clean it in hot soapy water.

Thank you.:)

I recently purchased an MS310 I'll be able to use while dealing with the 031.

Back