Fuel / Oil Reclaim Method

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heffalump

Y'all Mofo's Need Jesus
Reaction score
I've been doing a little searching and I can't find any posts about the best way to reclaim the fuel and oil is a saw when one wished to drain said saw of fuel and oil.

The obvious process is:
1. Remove fuel cap.
2. Invert saw, pouring fuel into large catch vessel.
3. Pour fuel from catch vessel into a storage container, through a filter.
4. Replace fuel cap.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 with oil reservoir.

My thinking is that there are some pretty nifty tricks out there on how to do this in a more efficient manner.

Anyone care to share?

Fair enough.

What do you use for a filter? What do you use for a catch basin?

Anyone use a nice funnel/screen setup that they like?

I've been doing a little searching and I can't find any posts about the best way to reclaim the fuel and oil is a saw when one wished to drain said saw of fuel and oil.

Anyone care to share?

When one wishes to drain it of its fuel and oil one pulls the trigger and holds open the throttle. Then idle it until the carburetor is dry.

If you really don't run a chainsaw enough to use up the gas in the tank and feel you must drain it it's easy. Just remove the caps and the instructions are on the bottom.

blow the saw off with compressed air so no chipys gets in the fuel.... i never drain bar oil unless im fixin something in there

Fair enough.

What do you use for a filter? What do you use for a catch basin?

Anyone use a nice funnel/screen setup that they like?

The pre-mix goes right back into my fuel can. I use a large funnel and no filter. And yes, the inside of my OPE fuel tank is that clean.

The bar oil goes right back into it's one gallon jug. Again, no filter needed.

When you say catch basin, I'm not really sure what you mean.

There are problems with reclaiming fuel and oil. Is the fuel any good to start with? What debris, dirt, saw dust or all the above is also getting collected? Guess you could filter the fuel, but the oil is another matter.

The obvious process is:
1. Remove fuel cap.
4. Replace fuel cap.

My thinking is that there are some pretty nifty tricks out there on how to do this in a more efficient manner.

Anyone care to share?

For fuel I use a coffee filter. The oil gets the fine mesh screen insert that is on my funnel.

the only tip I have is press the little prongs and take the dang caps off all the way. I hates trying to pour them out trying to hhold the cap out of the way.

I just have an old funnel that came with a screen in the bottom.

Mostly though..I leave them as-is. I rotate my saws around, the runners. I use non ethanol contaminated fuel, it seems to stay good enough for whatever time period between uses it turns out to be. If I miss one and it is more than a year, oh well, goes in the lawnmower gas jug, a five gallon can.

See now! We're getting some preeety good stuff.

I like the Mighty Vac idea. Never even thought of that.

@2123 I mean something to pour the fuel into from the saw. I know that I can't pour directly back into my gas can from the saw without spilling all over. Right now I empty the saw into an old saucepan, and then pour through a funnel into the gas can.

When one wishes to drain it of its fuel and oil one pulls the trigger and holds open the throttle.
I once vacuum-collapsed an aging fuel line like that. I never recommend that method to any of my 'clients'.

I once vacuum-collapsed an aging fuel line like that. I never recommend that method to any of my 'clients'.
Interesting. How is this different from setting a fast idle?

Not trying to argue, just trying to learn.

The obvious process is:
1. Remove fuel cap.
4. Replace fuel cap.

Anyone care to share?

The only reason i would ever wont to drain fuel and bar oil is if i were going to ship the saw somewere.

Interesting. How is this different from setting a fast idle?

Not trying to argue, just trying to learn.
It's not different. I don't do that either. I never run a machine dry. Especially a 2stroke that relies on fuel for lubrication.

Keep your fuel lines up to date.
Cute. Not every 'client' wants to pay for new lines every time they drop off a piece of equipment. You work with what ya have and try to make things last as long as possible.

Depends. If its my gas, out of my saw? Right back into a can for use. If its unknown fuel from a used CL saw or some unknown, goes in a glass jug for inspection. Phase separation, water or debris is easy to spot that way. Then used as deemed fit. Either a thirsty old backpack blower or the mowers. If it has obvious debris it's used for starting a slash fire.

Back