Fuel prices driving any vehicle or driving changes for you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drive my Ranger local for work 16-18mpg
Grab the wife's car when we run errands together or other outings. It gets 25-30mpg. If my son's home I grab his Prius, 45mpg all day long. I've got bikes and an old moped that I ride on ocassion but I'm not upsetting the apple cart yet.

Went and bought a Honda Civic the other day. Got 44.7 mpg on an 86 mile run into Detroit this morning. The other cars could do 23 or 36 mpg over the same route if I did my part, or less if I didn’t. Since they are 16 and 7 years old, respectively, we figured a new car that got better gas mileage was reasonable.

Unfortunately not much has changed for us. We go to work, come home. Don't really go anywhere if we don't have to. But thats the same as its always been. Only difference is last year we got rid of my wife's ford focus. It was her first car, mechanically sound but very rusty and needed body work and exhaust. I had planned on replacing it, but yeah... not paying these crazy prices. The truck (s) both sit unless I have to haul/tow something. She drives the Honda crv amd I drive the expedition. If I'm really, really nice I can eek out nearly 13mpg in it. 12.97mpg last fill up. May pull 2 spark plugs out and turn it into a v6 lol. Her Honda gets about 23mpg. So yeah between gas and groceries just this month we're nearly $1k in. Thank God I've been getting a decent amount of over time, and am able to work for my uncle from time to time. The solar system has worked out very well, no electric bill, and the payments are less then half what our bills were every month. We make do.

Retired so I drive for errands and for fun . Got 51mpg on the Goldwing going to Laconla bike week . Sounds great but really not a necessary expenditure but it's my fun time . I'm also going to Lebanon TN next month for the C10 truck show about 1800 miles round trip and getting 14mpg with 85 k20 it will be pricey. Also going to the Goodguys event in York PA about 400 miles round trip and driving the Chevelle at about 9 mpg

So all in all absolutely no effect on my habits

Edit: Going to the truck nationals in Carlisle in August most likely with three trucks met @farmer steve there last year

Retired so I drive for errands and for fun . Got 51mpg on the Goldwing going to Laconla bike week . Sounds great but really not a necessary expenditure but it's my fun time . I'm also going to Lebanon TN next month for the C10 truck show about 1800 miles round trip and getting 14mpg with 85 k20 it will be pricey. Also going to the Goodguys event in York PA about 400 miles round trip and driving the Chevelle at about 9 mpg

Edit: Going to the truck nationals in Carlisle in August most likely with three trucks met @farmer steve there last
Haven't been to any of the shows at Carlisle in years, always a good time and cool vehicles to check out.

Edit: Going to the truck nationals in Carlisle in August most likely with three trucks met @farmer steve there last year

I bought my dump trailer at the dealer across the street from Carlisle 2 years ago. Took these pics as I drove by. Notice the shiny trailer in the mirror!
20210410_110224.jpg
20210410_110313.jpg

I've been working nonstop on side work doing tree jobs, deck jobs etc using my parents 2wd Ram 1500 v6 which gets 20mpg instead of 16 mpg that my old truck gets, because my normal truck broke down. My day job is paycheck to paycheck with my current financial situation so the side work is essential.

Last year this time I was twice as far ahead and was still spending big money on truck parts and tools. I've nearly doubled my income with side work and am still in "scary budget" territory. Without the extra income I'd be frozen in place not able to wrench on anything or afford to go out to eat once in awhile.

Cannot imagine how it is for those who can't do the extra work due to family obilgations, health, etc.

I bought my dump trailer at the dealer across the street from Carlisle 2 years ago. Took these pics as I drove by. Notice the shiny trailer in the mirror! View attachment 997825View attachment 997826
I bought my Aluma from him . He loads up just before spring and fall Carlisle with them then sells them at a real markdown in the show .
894D9B3C-B647-47DD-9A5E-FCE1628597A8.jpeg
A703746C-AF80-4587-9D02-B2AA6DF3DD3F.jpeg

I've been working nonstop on side work doing tree jobs, deck jobs etc using my parents 2wd Ram 1500 v6 which gets 20mpg instead of 16 mpg that my old truck gets, because my normal truck broke down. My day job is paycheck to paycheck with my current financial situation so the side work is essential.

Last year this time I was twice as far ahead and was still spending big money on truck parts and tools. I've nearly doubled my income with side work and am still in "scary budget" territory. Without the extra income I'd be frozen in place not able to wrench on anything or afford to go out to eat once in awhile.

Cannot imagine how it is for those who can't do the extra work due to family obilgations, health, etc.
Yep, costs are rising for sure. I was doing some climbing for a buddy that has a land-clearing business in kind of a ritzy area...it was a long drive, but the going rate in that area more than made up for the cost of diesel. That being said, I couldn't imagine being able to afford to live there.

He's kind of run out of climbing work for me, so I'm just doing my normal job right now...at least there is a never ending supply of overtime available at work.

We take the car more when we used to take the Suburban because of comfort.

Less random rides to enjoy the countryside.

Been riding the bicycle more, but that's mainly because I enjoy it, not because riding my bike to the store really saves me any real money in gas. It's only a mile away.

Yes it has greatly affected our budgets, combined with the grocery budget doubling over the last year I estimate the extra cost to be a additional 500-600 a month. Next time you pass a fireworks stand go take a look, its insane how much prices have inflated on them over the last 2 years. I fear folks will simply not spend because the money is already long gone but the real downturn is when the credit card rob peter to pay paul plans give out and Its currently happening to millions. I fear by the end of summer a full depression worse than in the 30s will hit and by winter the price of beef will double or more.

I fear by the end of summer a full depression worse than in the 30s will hit and by winter the price of beef will double or more.

The "experts" are predicting a recession sometime in 2023. There's some technical lingo that requires 2 fiscal quarters to pass before the economists will call it such but at this rate it'll definitely be here much much sooner in the flesh.

Yes it has greatly affected our budgets, combined with the grocery budget doubling over the last year I estimate the extra cost to be a additional 500-600 a month. Next time you pass a fireworks stand go take a look, its insane how much prices have inflated on them over the last 2 years. I fear folks will simply not spend because the money is already long gone but the real downturn is when the credit card rob peter to pay paul plans give out and Its currently happening to millions. I fear by the end of summer a full depression worse than in the 30s will hit and by winter the price of beef will double or more.
Beef price has already doubled, 2 years ago I could get a 1/4 of local grown beef for $300.00 butcherd to my liking, vacuum packed and flash frozen. Last year was $430.00. (Ended up with 209lbs of meat) haven't asked yet this year, and from what my cousin has been saying it's not gonna be cheap. He just put nearly $600.00 worth of fuel in his mx, and that was just a day of bailing hay....

The "experts" are predicting a recession sometime in 2023. There's some technical lingo that requires 2 fiscal quarters to pass before the economists will call it such but at this rate it'll definitely be here much much sooner in the flesh.
We have been in a recession for over a year now.…the government has been using inflation to ‘grow’ the economy and mask it. the Fed is forecasting next quarter to be 0 gdp. What we need to look for is when the depression will hit and that may be early 2023….

I seen a you tube video that someone in an interview with CNBC or CNN said we should just quit complaining ( in USA ) and use our savings. That Biden is going to drop the 18 cent tax on the gas.....make things better.. What a joke. The patriots that created this country would be ashamed we are letting this shitz show happen. But no real changes for me. I live under my means.. I drive a 99 Taco and a 2000 silverado.. I have the house paid off and working to grow a lot of my own food. I have a long way to go... But if you aren't thinking about these things you really should be... This country can't go on like this much longer. And if you think the government gives two craps about you.... You need to read the history books. Good luck with your endeavors. I hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

The whole gas tax freeze is the worst sort of bait and switch. Gas tax pays for road maintenance. Defer maintenance, increase costs later. Hardly a win.

What this current situation, and frankly what the COVID era 3/2020-3/2022, should be teaching folks is to structure your finances so you can live below your means. When you aren't stretched or leveraged, you can breathe and you have options. I understand that for many folks, this is not easy and past choices may, at least for a time, may totally foreclose that option. But darn it, it should be a goal.

This country's economy is built predominantly on consumer spending. I get that. But why not let it be somebody else's consumer spending instead of yours?

Fuel price hasn't changed a thing here. I commute 50 miles a day for work, car gets 28mpg. I drive the 9mpg truck when I need to haul something, or just because I feel like it, and a tank of gas lasts a couple months in the truck.

We did the Dave Ramsey thing a couple years back. Hunkered down and paid off everything except the mortgage. Put six months living expenses in savings, and we live on about 1/4 of our income. Pay cash for everything. What do people who don't have debt have? MONEY.

Either of us could lose our jobs and the remaining one working could carry the entire load, with a comfortable safety net above that. Dave's plan is Financial Peace university, and it sure is right.

Back