Fuel Pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sweet I remember seeing the ultralights with dual engines but it has been a long time..

Randy

I think you'll be seeing fewer Rotax engines and more chain saw / model aircraft engines in the near future. My neighbor's CGS Hawk Arrow is parked, as of last January he has to either get it down to 254lb (not possible), register it as a sport plane, or risk confiscation and a big fat fine if he flies it as if it were an ultralight.

He refuses to go back to flight school, register the plane, and keep flight and maintenance logs for a sport plane. He'll probably have it registered and inspected and sell it, maybe buy a Hawk Ultra eventually, but he'll miss the power of the big Rotax he has now.

I have a 5 hp chainsaw that has a walbro carb. The fuel tank is 7 ft. away and 3 ft. lower than the engine. How much suction pressure does this carb generate? The fuel has such a long way to go plus gravity, would it starve the engine? Can a fuel pump be used on a carb like this?

Any help will be welcome.
Thanks, Russell

Mikuni fuel pump?

depends on whether my place or wifes.. lol my house is maybe 1 mile from Fairystone. wifes trailer on her mothers land is 7 miles from Fairy Stone in Patrick Springs which is where I am at right now.

took some pics today of some of the trees I want to cut, several 120+ inches around several look to be 150 feet tall just guessing but I would figure should be close.

Randy

Are you just east of Fairystone, or further south?

My wife an I are having a house built between Stuart and Ararat.

I am up in the hills between Stuart, Bassett, & Martinsville area

Randy

Your a few hours south of me.I'm up in the northern end.

So.........ya ain't nuthin' but some ol' scootertrash huh?

What's the ol'' flathead ya' got?

Put a little over 300,000 miles on a 76 shovel.Best damn bike I ever had.

a 1970's styled 45" chopper built from ground up by me but never could bring myself to crank it so it is sitting at a friends shop ready for gas & oil & battery is waiting for acid. tubes would probably be dry rotted I finished it 12 or so years ago...

I really like my shovels I have many thousands of miles on many different shovels probably close to 500,000 miles. I worked at an independent shop for close to 15 years

when ever I have enough money I want to build the wife an old kick only sportster chopper batteryless with magneto ignition with a cut off tranny, running a fl or fx tranny with a jocky shift, & a stroker kit & pan head top end, with oil tank inside 1 of the gas tanks. just to mess with all the newbies that ride all the late model stuff. love to see the looks on peoples faces when they see a sportster with chain on left side.. or panheads.. & trying to talk the talk like they think they know the "life".

I wouldnt dare send her out on a modern Harley. as I want her to know easily which are the "real" bikers... & best test are those that know what she rides.. otherwise there are so many wannabees she could be fooled since she only been around the lifestyle 5 years & cant tell the real ones from phony at a glance. she is learning but slow as I am not around the scene as much as I used to be I blew my shovel up & have engine tore apart. & I feel with a hard core machine the real bikers will sorta know what it is & appreciate it the phonies well they will be talking off their heads like they think they know what it is they are looking at. & will be great for laughs...

Randy

Your a few hours south of me.I'm up in the northern end.

So.........ya ain't nuthin' but some ol' scootertrash huh?

What's the ol'' flathead ya' got?

Put a little over 300,000 miles on a 76 shovel.Best damn bike I ever had.

Thanks Scooterbum. No video available. No stills of me flying even. Hey, beer is fuel!

Thanks Randy, Ultralights kinda fell by the wayside due to the liability insurance they had to buy. They were generaly small mom and pop sized businesses and couldn't afford it. This one went under in the late '80's. You're what's known as a hardcore HD rider! You've got some bikes that a lot of people would like to get their hands on. I was a bike mechanic in the '70's for a Honda dealership (boo) for about 11 years but only rode Harley's (the boss really liked that). Only had two though, a 60's vintage sportster, the mag ign. and kick start and a '77 cafe racer. Both gone regrettably.

Excess650, can you give more info on the Mkuni pump?

Russell

Seeing your set up, I would think even more on a loop system with constant flow pump and return line, much less chance of getting an air lock or bubble. Also I imagine there are some slight g forces on occasion that would also effect the carbs abbility to draw fuel and affect fuel pressure and A/F mixture.

Don't know, might want a backup fuel pump even if it was a hand pump.

Timberwolf, g loads are minimal and of short duration considering the amount of thrust these engines can develop (75 pounds total for both). The battery failure is my concern but a hand pump for a backup would ease the tension.

Scooterbum, thanks for the web address. These look interesting. I'll have to study them more closely.

Excess650, can you give more info on the Mkuni pump?

Russell

I have a Mikuni pump in a box in my garage, somewhere....they may have been intended for snowmobiles, but I'm not sure. Mine came with a pair of Mikuni VMs that I bought used. You're welcome to the one I have if I can find it, or they should be pretty inexpensive on Ebay.

Thanks Excess650 for the offer. I went on-line and they look like pretty neat and simple. If I try that day tank method those would do the trick, but I'm still in the mulling it over stage. I'll get back to you when I make up my mind.
Thanks again.

Hey, Stevethekiwi, where's your sense of excitement and danger? I will admit; however, a parachute would add a bit more comfort, but an engine dying is far more likely than a wing falling off!:cry: There is a lot of butt-pucking at times, but it's a blast.

Latest posts

Back