Fuel Tank Vent Help - Wet Air Filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

game04

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is there a procedure for testing a fuel tank vent to see if it should be replaced? I just acquired a well used Stihl BR420C blower and see that the paper air filter had been completely covered with gas. There is even some evidence of gas on the bottom of the pre filter. On this model the tube from the tank vent runs directly into the air filter housing. I’m wondering if fuel may have been blowing out of the end of the vent tube onto the air filter. I’m not really sure if that’s even possible though. I want to replace the air filter but I want to make sure it’s not going to get wet with gas again. I'd go ahead and just replace the vent but I am trying to keep my cost to a minimum. The dealer wants for $14 for the air filter and $15 for a new vent.

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Is there a procedure for testing a fuel tank vent to see if it should be replaced? I just acquired a well used Stihl BR420C blower and see that the paper air filter had been completely covered with gas. There is even some evidence of gas on the bottom of the pre filter. On this model the tube from the tank vent runs directly into the air filter housing. I’m wondering if fuel may have been blowing out of the end of the vent tube onto the air filter. I’m not really sure if that’s even possible though. I want to replace the air filter but I want to make sure it’s not going to get wet with gas again. I'd go ahead and just replace the vent but I am trying to keep my cost to a minimum. The dealer wants for $14 for the air filter and $15 for a new vent.

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Tank vent should only allow air in and not out. Use a pressure tester on your fuel line to check the vent operation.:msp_smile:

Tank vent should only allow air in and not out. Use a pressure tester on your fuel line to check the vent operation.:msp_smile:

Thanks...I actually just found the procedure in the service manual. Not sure why I didn't look there in the first place. Looks simple enough. :msp_biggrin:

Back