Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The name and graphic alone... you trust this? 2 cycle is not exactly the ratfink crowd... nor does that graphic look like one with his pot belly.

I dont like gimmicks when it comes to fuel and oil. I buy 10 gallons of ethanol free 91/93 and some opti2 and go with it...never any problems.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I dont like gimmicks when it comes to fuel and oil. I buy 10 gallons of ethanol free 91/93 and some opti2 and go with it...never any problems.

We have a chain called Buc-ee's here in texas that sells e free fuel. Sells for $2,79 a gallon. Regular is $1:51 a gallon at the same place. I just picked up 20 gallons today for all my small engines. I run stihl brand oil at 50 to1 never had an issue.

We have a chain called Buc-ee's here in texas that sells e free fuel. Sells for $2,79 a gallon. Regular is $1:51 a gallon at the same place. I just picked up 20 gallons today for all my small engines. I run stihl brand oil at 50 to1 never had an issue.
We have a Buccees across the state line from me in Foley Alabama. But there is a little store a couple miles away that carries marine gas. Runs 2.59 usually.

All these wonder fuels probably come from the same refinery.
I'd be surprised if they weren't the same. Stihl, VP, RedMax etc etc.
The old marketing switcheroo.

I agree. Those pre mixed fuels become very pricey when you buy it by the quart. Tru Fuel 50-1 premix at Lowes is 5:99 a quart. Times 4 equals 24 bucks a gallon. I'll pay 2:79 a gallon for e free fuel and mix my own thank you very much. I only mix a gallon at a time and use stihl 2 cycle oil. I have a half dozen of the 6 ounce bottles that mix exactly 1 gallon at 50:1 Then I buy the oil buy the gallon and just refill the little six ounce bottles. Makes a perfect mix every time and is the cheapest way I have found. $2:79 for the gas plus 0:25 for the oil cost me only 3 bucks a gallon.

I think that wins the award for most questionable product marketing of 2020. Given the business strategy choices-that certainly doesn't give me confidence that they made sound decisions on their oil choices and mixing.

I would enjoy seeing an analysis of the contents.

Why, when you can get it cheaper elsewhere?

Pull a Walmart and buy blockaded cargo to sell locally with a new label.

I run Trufuel. Never an issue, burn too little to care about cost.

Never heard of the rat stuff. Would do research first.

Almost all of the fuels out there are alkylate and their own mix of oil, only VP was a distillate instead. VP is the one I'd avoid.

The best deal is when you can get the premixed stuff on clearance at Walmart for $5 a gallon I've done that twice and bought every one they had. They don't do it every year for some reason though

Almost all of the fuels out there are alkylate and their own mix of oil, only VP was a distillate instead. VP is the one I'd avoid.
Yes, I'm sure the oils are different, but the base.....
Why do you stay away from VP?
I've found wax like deposits with these long term fuels, after 8-12 months.
Stihl "claims" theirs has additional refining to remove these paraffin like deposits.
They are definitely wax like. Not the glycol gel that sometimes forms
Who knows for sure. I don't and never push the product.

Yes, I'm sure the oils are different, but the base.....
Why do you stay away from VP?
I've found wax like deposits with these long term fuels, after 8-12 months.
Stihl "claims" theirs has additional refining to remove these paraffin like deposits.
They are definitely wax like. Not the glycol gel that sometimes forms
Who knows for sure. I don't and never push the product.
I'd avoid VP because it's distillate based with a stabilizer, like pump gas. Alkylate is a completely different formulation, much more stable. Aspen in Europe is alkylate, avgas is alkylate. Not saying VP is bad, just that by the formulation I don't expect it to last like the others do.

Never had Trufuel go bad on me, but haven't been using it long enough to tell either. I did have a saw which had sat for years with pump gas in it. When we added Trufuel, a bunch of white flakey stuff appeared out of nowhere, floating in the fuel, which immediately got stuck in the carburetor passages and screens.

Yes there is a market where some people use very little mixed fuel to warrant the lower cost of mixing it yourself. I use way to much fuel to buy that expensive pre mixed stuff.

I just mix a gallon of non corn gas with Echo synthetic and dump a bottle of Trufuel in......the no corn is the important part.

Back