Full wrap chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I'm sick and tired of OSHA and all their requirements and you can throw in BIG GOVERNMENT too! Southside

Yes, well....y'aint seen nuthin' yet......:) Just wait 'till you see what has been readied, waitin' to be deployed.....

----------------------------

Here's one I was waitin' to share with youze guys:

Not all that long ago, I had this smaller 'popular-brand/quality' saw, listed it on C'list, with a clear explanation that it lacked the chainbreak mechanism, that it
could be run without it, but that it is an important safety feature and should be restored, etc..... I, further, said that I would require the buyer to sign a statement confirming that he/she had been duly and clearly notified of the missing chainbreak mech. and understood the risks and ramifications. You get the picture.....

Well, wasn't too long beforin' the saviors of the ignorant masses sent this reply:

"Ssir ,
be advised ,
you should junk this dangerous piece of crap.......... instead of selling it and getting a document that you " think " will protect you from a law suit ...good luck and make sure you tell your lawyer to warm up his car as you will be going to court soon .
osha inspector # xxxx ma. ( boston office )
"

Of course, it could have been a hoax reply but, somehow, I don't think so. Gent was, of course, just doing his job, as he understands it. Keepin' everyone
safe. Means well......

I contemplated a few different replies, some fairly respectful, other not as much..... Ultimately, I didn't bother. I suppose that all those piece-of-crap Porsches,
Mercedes, etc. that need brake work should ALL be junked. That would, of course, include all those old/vintage piece-of-crap saws you guys love to love, and
use, that never had a chainbreak to begin with.

Heard the discussion about the 'smart gun', electronic-chip enclosed....?? Well, just wait until the new saws have a chip, and 'decide' just what you can, and cannot, do with your saw..... Nope, cant let ya cut at THAT height, or at THAT angle, or near THAT other trunk, or.....when you are THIS tired....etc. :msp_mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that's why I'm pushing for an older truck with a carby and points... then I shouldn't have to worry much. The new stuff just isn't anywhere near as good as the old stuff, the older vehicles come in far less often than newer vehicles at the shop I work in...

I'll laugh if the day ever comes where those saps in their brand new cars end up being stopped dead in their spots by some hacker that got into the network. I'll putter right past them...

They really are trying to network cars together so they drive themselves... right, that's a great idea... hacker hacks in and causes huge accident, I can see that happening...

I still say if the majority of the drivers out there drove a stick shift, they would probably be better drivers overall... shifting makes you focus... like "How can I carry my ass through that corner?" :D Bet most would drive faster, and stop being so much of a problem at the traffic lights... I hate those morons that sit at the light for three seconds before they actually start rolling... Heck, when the light turns green, I'm always the first one across the intersection... no, pedal wasn't to the floor, but it wasn't at 1/50th to WFO either... bunch of sissies worried about gas prices that are just too ####ing slow.

Looking for a nice old F-150/250/350, diesel or 302 or 351 or 460 v8 carby, GM 1500/2500/3500 350 or 454 carby, Jeep CJ2A/3A/5/7 AMC v8 or straight six carby, and possibly a deuce and a half with a multi fuel engine...

With any, most, or all of those, I'm all good to go... :)

Back to chaps, I like the Labonville full wraps... :)

Here in Cali, over the past twenty five years that I've been in business, I've seen more local, state and fed jobs created than I care to think about. Most these jobs were created inside their own department and those jobs never disappear and only add more and more tax sucking workers. I'm glad Cali. is going through hard times, maybe the bums can get real, tax paying, productive jobs, and stop the non stop harassment of us real producers! Southside

I like the Husqvarna chaps. Seems you can get them in either 600 or 1000 denier. The 1000 are pretty hot, but would be very nice in the winter.

Looking for a nice old F-150/250/350, diesel or 302 or 351 or 460 v8 carby, GM 1500/2500/3500 350 or 454 carby, Jeep CJ2A/3A/5/7 AMC v8 or straight six carby, and possibly a deuce and a half with a multi fuel engine...

I have been hauling loads into the scrap yard everday the last two weeks and I can tell you what you are looking for is getting shreded everyday. Just today it was amazing how many came in and went back out to the mill to the electric oven

With the latest trousers so being light I would suggest looking at then instead of messing around with the chaps. I use Stihl Advance Plus, Strech-air Extrerme and Husky trousers. Oregon now do a very good lightweight set which Im told are very good ? As for footwear I just picked up a pair of Husky Tech 24 boots yesterday and find them better again than my Stihl GTX Rangers.
One point on the trousers, Strech - air and Husky pairs have vent zips up the inside rear of the leg which is nice when it gets warm.

Just ordered a pair of the Full wrap Labonville chaps. They sure stick it to you with $18 Shipping from NH to OH..:sucks:

I've got the Labonville full wraps, love 'em. I got them pants length so they seal around my boots and won't work up above them if I'm climbing around. Had them for a couple of years and wouldn't get them any shorter, especially when out in snow. Also make great kneepads for milling when I can't lift a log.

I have been hauling loads into the scrap yard everday the last two weeks and I can tell you what you are looking for is getting shreded everyday. Just today it was amazing how many came in and went back out to the mill to the electric oven

Same thing here Bill. I pass several flatbed trucks on the highway that are hauling crushed American Iron to the shredders every day. I'm an IHC nut, and had to pull over and calm myself one day when I passed a flatbed that had three Scouts, two IHC pickups, and a Travelall on it. All crushed. All 4WD with the front axles still in place. Only one rig on that flatbed wasn't an IHC (was a '70s Dodge 4X2 pickup). I'll bet some older version of my eccentric self (with a bunch of IHC iron on his property) passed away............and I was witnessing the end of his collection.

Another time I was driving north into San Francisco. On a raised section of the highway, I looked off to the side and saw a HUGE scrap metal yard. Mountains of steel vehicles, appliances, and other scrap waiting to be shredded. Mountains of shredded metal too. Trucks hauling the shredded metal to cargo ships (to go to China I'll bet). On top of one of the un-shredded mountains (perched like the cherry on an ice cream sundae) was a PRISTINE looking IHC pickup. I pulled off the highway and found my way to the yard. Managed to get a good look at that pickup from about 30 feet away. Was in much better shape than any of my IHC iron. Looked to still have the engine in it. Turned away and left as the grapple grabbed the poor thing to haul it to its death. Probably been made into parts of a Chinese carrier by now....

OK......on topic:
I'm looking to invest in some chaps, or protective pants. It get's DAMN hot here during the times I cut, and I'm hot blooded anyways. Cooling's a big concern for me. If they're too hot, I ain't gonna wear 'em. I'm also short and stocky. What do you guys recomend (aside from getting thinner...LOL)?

Just got my second pair of Labronville full wrap

Had an accident with my first pair, not with a chainsaw but a log splitter. I leaned up against the hot mufler and melted a nice round hole in the left knee.
I took advantage of the 20% Father's Day discount and that covered more than shipping, ($14.53 from NH to CT)
I don't cut without the chaps. At 77, I'm not as steady as I once was and don't heal as fast as I used to,, so I'm very cautious and don't look forward to a trip to the ER.

call up labonville ... talk to em... they custom make up 10ply chaps as you order them. so it's no big deal to request custom sizing.

truly NICE folks to deal with... call em up

OK......on topic:
I'm looking to invest in some chaps, or protective pants. It get's DAMN hot here during the times I cut, and I'm hot blooded anyways. Cooling's a big concern for me. If they're too hot, I ain't gonna wear 'em. I'm also short and stocky. What do you guys recomend (aside from getting thinner...LOL)?

it was 106 degrees in Tulsa two days ago and I needed to do some cutting.
with 28% humidity ... that's HOT

naturally had shorts on under my 10ply Labonville chaps
didn't cut very long .. found something else to do
did I mention it was HOT.....

First aid

Wonder how many of you actually carry a small first aid kit on your chaps? I have a US military individual soldier style with alice clips to attach to to the belt on my chaps. I figure a few gauze pads are better then nothing.

Latest posts

Back