Fun with gitrdun_climbr today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We did some routine conifer removals today. gitrdun_climbr worked with us for the first time...we had great fun. Felled a 95 foot fir between a cedar and the house gutter corner......and a 110 foot fir across the front yard and into the street...missed the light pole by 10 feet....and used the GRCS to suspend two small firs at the same time...that was smooth...

First pic is Ollie getting the rigging set to lower a hefty 25+ foot hemlock top....which Travis handled smoothly with only one wrap on the porty....later I got a bit of a jolt when lowering a much smaller top, but below me was 60 feet of mighty slender fir.

Good stuff Rb

That's a fair haul for a day.

An abundance of conifers over there.

That WAS fun!

We did get a fair bit done yesterday...showed up and the homeowner added several more trees than originally planned to the job. RB them huskys RIP! What'd ya do, supercharge em! Made my 200T feel like a toy I'm ashamed to say. Felt a bit like Luke Skywalker with a ported out lifesaver~

I wasn't halfway up that hemlock when I looked over at the firs Rog was in and he was nowhere to be found. I looked down, all around, nothing. Looked up and he had smoked up them firs in half-time, man he's fast!

Today was no exception, RB must have climbed and craned out 15 or more fat fir logs (as well as slipping in 2 other jobs). I'm sure he'll get some photos up, I was shooting between running around doing this and that. Great working with you rbtree!

:rock:

Aye, bud...and your photos (composition, angles, etc) were "par excellence"

I'll put some here and some in another thread in the commercial tree work forum.

I was moving so fast to get done and meet you guys that I forgot to get a shot of the log load. It was loaded way way high...likely he was overweight for the axle length...as he had to set up his bunk for 24 foot logs.....

The fourth pic in the previous post shows me dropping a chunk. That tree was dead....and had some huge branches...and evidence of an old top breakout. It had considerable decay in the middle log, so I chunked down 3 pieces. There was little improvement, but the butt log was sound.

Some of the pics make the trees appear leaning. This is the lenses' wide angle effect that occurs at the sides of images when the camera is tilted upwards.....

First shot is from the first job, which took a while, as Mike's new crane has poorly postioned and designed rear outriggers, that, when he has to navigate a grade change, require blocks be placed under the wheels. This is quite time consuming, and meant that we had to block a lane of traffic for 10 or so minutes on the way in, and out.

We loaded the logs onto the crane flatbed, as there was no where to put them that the self loader could access, and took them to the next job, which was craning three sticks, and yarding 3 pine logs from beside a house with the self loader. We had removed a 32 inch dbh pine from the backyard, and spent a good 2 hours yarding the logs, first with a block high in a neighbor's pine, then alongside the house with my chip truck as close as we could. Saved crane time; as well, the logs were too far for him to reach, till we'd dragged them part way with the chip truck. The log trucker arrived early ( my fault for miscalculating how long the first job would take) and was waiting on us anyhow, so that gave him something to do. He is a great guy, and only charged $50 extra for the 90 minutes or so that he waited.

Last edited:
Nice work! I know it takes alot of everything to pull off jobs like this.

That is cool!

This is something I would think would be a lot of fun! How much pressure or lift rather do you put on with the crane? As it looks like not enough, and it would be harder to cut, too much, and the whole thing yo-yo's around, as it would seem anyway.

Back