XMAS present from lakeside_53

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stated my case and will wait for rb to come back and give us the real reason for the metal. But in the mean time what about the theory of untying the wet rope?

The real reason? I thought it was said it was for " the strength knot"? I can see that in the way the rope goes, she is going to spin if it breaks. But evry rope I broke was on purpose. It holds a proper knot just fine. They say the knot reduces the strenght by 50%? What is this system rated?
I do not recall seeing rigging like this. I have seen snaps and such on the end of the rope and you just use that instead of a knot. I don't like that, you go into someone's yard shop and see all the bent clips and other wierd things that failed, it whacks in the head when you toss it. I saw one guy with a big ladder hook on the end of his rope.
So rb, could you lay it out and get a better shot of what you are using there? Rope and all? It looks rather interesting.
As far as the wet rope thing? I am trying to remember the last time I got wet, much less my 20 thousand pounder.:cheers:

I'll take a wild stab at the whyfor on HSTO use. Since the TruBlu for the drift line over the house was tied off, I'll guess that they used the spliced end rope because it was one of the two long enough and it is a PITA to tie with.

The HSTO is often easier to manipulate with gloves on, I've used it for that reason.

As for breaking, has a lower strength reduction then a knot, because the bend in the line is of a lesser angle, and there is less friction then with rope on rope. A splice has a lesser reduction value also.

Comparing the connector to the rope, it has to be at least 1/2 in steel. That should be strong enough, especially because this is not a dynamically loaded rig.

I looked around and could not find any diagrams and spec's, only tertiary mention of HSTO's. But to me an HSTO on a spliced line is good methodology.

Yes, I was looking to see some kind of spec, thanks. I don't have the means to try it cause I got no eye spliced rope. I am to leary to get it. I am afraid it will get stuck and make my cry ( its funny cause its true).
I use ( for real ropin) 20 lbs stable braid and a 10 lbs stable braid. Terminated with a bow line. I don't beat this stuff, I have other stuff I beat. Anyway, never had a problem with a knot, always kept it in the range, I thought I had a good range. Still, always concerned about how much was lost due to the knot or the bend. But like I said, I have never seen a rope break at the knot.
Now I am all interested in rb's secrets. Thanks for the info John.

Last edited:
On the left coast you will see a lot of rigging lines with a metal link on one end.
It has its advantages and disadvantages. It is faster to set and unhook than a running boline, there are not many tight crotches in the tall conifers. It would be harder to drag out from under a heavy piece, but then again much of the soil is loose and sandy and has a layer of duff on top.
I personally don't use it much. I spent many years only using a running boline, and am very comfortable and fast with it. I also like to change ends often.

Back