Further adventures in 036 jackanapery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madhatte

It's The Water
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Disappointed that my last attempt at porting my 036 PRO failed to yield gains sufficient to best a stock 044, I went back to the drawing board and started over with some new parts. First, the IntelliCarb had to go, for reasons which will soon become evident:

DSCN0338.jpg

was replaced by:

DSCN0339.jpg

Next I chucked up a new friend:

DSCN0350.jpg

and went to work:

DSCN0346.jpg

Opened up the intake pretty good:

DSCN0359.jpg

even cleaned up the piston windows:

DSCN0363.jpg

The transfers were the big job; I opened up the lowers quite a bit, but didn't mess with the uppers yet, as I didn't want to affect port timing:

DSCN0365.jpg

The exhaust was a bit of grinding as well:

DSCN0386.jpg

Some side-by-side comparisons:

DSCN0378.jpg

DSCN0379.jpg

DSCN0389.jpg

(piston on the right is from the last attempt -- note the light scoring on the bottom of the intake skirt. I think I may have had a bit of an air leak due to running sans base gasket:

DSCN0376.jpg

Then reassembly:

DSCN0403.jpg

Now, I know our friends Down Under don't have a lot of use for this product:

DSCN0404.jpg

but I found a good one!

DSCN0405.jpg

Exhaust lines up:

DSCN0409.jpg

and here's the real reason for the non-limited, non-"Intelli" carb:

DSCN0411.jpg

(yes, I got the idea from Mile9socounty)

And here's the finished product:

DSCN0413.jpg

It's SNAPPY. Like amazingly so. Idles low and lopey, revs high and fast. I have it tuned now to where it just burbles at WOT. Haven't had it in wood yet -- hopefully tomorrow. Probably try to revisit the original 044 challenge. I think this setup might just do the trick.

I don't know much about porting, but it looks good to me. I definitely like the intake. The last videos were pretty good too. Can't wait to see the results in the next vid.

036 and ms360's run real good. What did you end for port timing?

My 036 runs right beside a muffler modded 044/440 with a 20" bar.......

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It needs flames. Classic 3 color flames, and a Rat Fink sticker.

OLD SKOOL hotrod.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If that little bit of work can get your 036 up to an 044 then with a fully ported P&C it should catch a ported 044. On my 036 PRO the ports were all taken to their limits and the upper transfers are the bottlenecks, they have to be enlarged.It will run with a stock 044.
Pioneerguy600

Looking good and looking forward to the vids.

Mr. HE:cool:

Same saw, different topend. I have the old one to fall back on when I blow this one up! It's not drilled for a decomp, but that's never been an issue with 60CC saws as far as I'm concerned. Come to think of it, why do they even bother with decomps on the 50cc saws?

Same saw, different topend. I have the old one to fall back on when I blow this one up! It's not drilled for a decomp, but that's never been an issue with 60CC saws as far as I'm concerned. Come to think of it, why do they even bother with decomps on the 50cc saws?

Decomps are for sissy's. :) I plug all of mine.

Decomps are for sissy's. :) I plug all of mine.

Ladies might like to use a good saw as well. You never know.

I think Stihl's EZ2Start is a great idea, because it makes sawing available to those with orthopedic issues. I have heard before that such people have no business using saws, and I can sort of see the point of it, but I m not one to deny any safety-conscious person the joy of using a chainsaw.

Back