FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been reading this thread about these grinders and came across another grinder at a good price. I am looking for any input on it. Tecomec 185 guy is asking $50, w/ two wheels and it works. The motor pivot angle is not adj. but the vise is.
Thanks

dtw902--thats a fine price on the borazon wheels--i called my supplier--they said the wheels would only last for 400 chains????? seems strange--as hard as they are!!!! foley posts some good prices--i just bought the blade balancer for mowers from them---was on sale--

Ok here they are. There was 2 pic's in the book.

I started looking at your diagrams last night when my computer decided to lock up on me. The diagrams are not very detailed as to what the motor leads hook up to internally. They are more for reconnecting the leads to the switch if the switch goes bad.The color coding on the wires is definitely not anything standard in the US or Canada. Example: the color green is exclusively reserved for use as identifying the grounding conductor by the National Electric Code. The green wire coming off of the motor is hooked to the hot side of the line cord along with the blue wire through the switch. The red and the black wires are hooked to the neutral side. I am not 100% sure if the small box on the left hand side of the diagram is a capacitor or a thermal limiting switch. This box ultimately connects the blue with the green wire at the switch. It obviously would be easier for me to have the unit in my hands but... Do you have a multimeter that you can use and some electrical knowledge? The first determination would be to figure out if the small box with 2 wires is indeed a thermal limiter (circuit breaker) or if it a capacitor (used to help start the motor). PM me if you are interested in exploring this further. We also have to take into consideration the potential for burning the unit up, electrical shock, and in an extreme case but always a possibility, of electrocution.

Take care.

Vince :cheers:

If I get some spare time I will take a look at the grinder.
I will see about getting a picture of the wiring.

Motor reversing

I checked out the wiring in my grinder while I was assembling it. I have seen a lot of posts questioning if there are 3, 4 or whatever wires. Its not just a matter of how many wires there are BUT their functions that matter.

In the case of this grinder.... it is a capacitor start type motor. The capacitor is NOT mounted in or on the motor but remotely in the handle assembly right next to the starting switch. There are 4 wires coming from the motor (not counting ground), 2 of the wires go to the remote starting capacitor, the other 2 are AC hot and neutral.

So.... if you are going to reverse this motor, it is NOT going to happen by just applying some switching to the wires coming out of the motor. I have not dissassembled the motor to inspect inside and determine IF the required wires are accessable and feasable for purposes of reversing. IF there are points that can be accessed, it would require cutting some connections, adding a couple more wires to make the coils independent, THEN adding a reversing switch.

Personally, I decided it isn't worth the effort. Yes it does leave a slight burr on the cutters on one side BUT that burr is so tiny and fine it flakes right off if you just touch it, its gone instantly when the chain touches the wood. Granted for the purist it would be preferrable to reverse the grinding wheel and eliminate the burr BUT in my opinion we are talking the difference in a chain that performs at 95% or 100%, either is a great cutting chain!

I cut some 18" hard maple yesterday with my 044 , using woodsman pro chain that I sharpened. I was VERY impressed !!!!! I'd venture to say that chain cuts AT LEAST as good as a brand new one out of the box. That is good enough for me!

well--i guess you answered that question sparky---i had the same thoughts--the burr comes off as soon as you hit the wood--will leave well enough alone-----!!!!!!!!:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

My grinder is on the way

I ordered a grinder last week and it wasBO's until the 19th but got a message saying it had shipped yesterday. Yahoo. Time to sharpen chains.
Greg Harrison

well--today i recieved the second chain saw grinder--nothing broken or hurt---but no sawing--20 below today--dang---at least can assemble the second grinder:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

The grinder came with a depth gauge. Do you set this on a tooth and file the raker down to the appropriate "nibbon" on the depth gauge?

The little plastic thingy you use to shape the stone has some depth gauge settings in the corners.

Well, you guys made another sale for Northern. Just placed my order after finding this thread. Had considered buying a grinder but didn't want to spend $250+ for something decent. Look forward to checking it out.

Anyone ever purchase reject wood from a sawmill for conversion to firewood? I don't know of a much better way to get a workout sharpening chains. We cut up a little over 25 tons of the metal impregnated oak and hickory.

After hand sharpening about 30 chains over the past few weeks with some severely damaged I'm ready to try something new. Thanks!

The little plastic thingy you use to shape the stone has some depth gauge settings in the corners.

So the brown plastic thing is for stone shaping? I have never used a chain grinder before. Does the new sharpening disk need dressed?

The plastic thingy I have doesn't look like the corners show and different depth. I see the thickness measurements, but it all looks to be the same to me.

Okay, I think I understand the "disk shaping" now. I guess you use the stone to make the disk fit into the appropriate slot?

So the brown plastic thing is for stone shaping? I have never used a chain grinder before. Does the new sharpening disk need dressed?

The plastic thingy I have doesn't look like the corners show and different depth. I see the thickness measurements, but it all looks to be the same to me.
You might be right. I've got a couple of real depth gauges so never used it.

Back